C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What's your feeling about the quality of the C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:35 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by tiffc888
hahah yea it's really simple... and nah Audio 10 is pretty good but not the best... but I like to bump that bass like i'm a gangsta :p hahaha not really :p

Do you have the bose in your car though? I like my bose but it can use a little more clarity and bass.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 c320wz
yea i listen to music. pretty loud to.. especially the all beat/stupid lyric's of ying yang twins, lil jon, and such. but when people are sleepin in my car, i turn it way down, thats when i start to hear things!!!!!!!! im tryin to get everything resolved concerning rattles and squeaks before i get my coilovers installed. errr might take a while
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Noble C320

Do you have the bose in your car though? I like my bose but it can use a little more clarity and bass.
no bose... yea my system isn't the best... but it's good enough for now. i'll work on the ICE later...
Old 11-19-2003, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quality?

We had to have the control module for the passenger seat replaced. The seat adjustment buttons work again.

They also replaced the passenger seat headrest but I didn't even ask them to do that. It did rattle occasionally before then, though.

The only other thing that bugs me wrt quality is that I can hear a decent amount of road noise from the driver's and passenger's side. I'll ask them about it in a bit, when we do Service A.

Everything else seems to work as advertised.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:31 AM
moomeh

Originally posted by jpb5151
Quality?

We had to have the control module for the passenger seat replaced. The seat adjustment buttons work again.

They also replaced the passenger seat headrest but I didn't even ask them to do that. It did rattle occasionally before then, though.

The only other thing that bugs me wrt quality is that I can hear a decent amount of road noise from the driver's and passenger's side. I'll ask them about it in a bit, when we do Service A.

Everything else seems to work as advertised.

sometimes road noise is caused by the type of road itself and has nothing to do with the car. i know this since we have all types of different roads here and road noise gets really loud at times and other times really quiet (same speed limit). that could be the problem or type of tires could be it.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:16 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by intakex
errr mines a 2003 c320wz and these are the issues that ive had and if its been replaced:

1. headliner rattles on the left b pilar and right b pilar... not fixed as of yet.
2. rear ac motor malfunctioned... fixed
3. glove comparment rattled... fixed 3 times..
4. driver side door rattles.. they say its because of the sound system which is BS.. not fixed as of yet
5. driver side foot step squeaks.. fixed
6. the purge valve issue.. fixed
7. driver side head rest... guides replaced twice.. headrest replaced once... still rattles..
8. passenger side head rest.. guides replaced once.. still rattles
9. center console issue.. fixed
10. right window seal air leak.. fixed
11. right window seal not sitting correctly.. not fixed
12. rear left speaker housing rattles.. fixed
13. dash speaker housing rattles.. fixed
14. dash rattles in 2 spots.. not fixed
15. center aluminum trim around gear box squeaks.. not fixed

these are the issues of my 7 month old has. i have about 12,000 miles on it. about 10 of these issues were there when i bought the thing!!!! argh. my cars been in service 5 times the past 3 months. they do a horrible job when they wash my car, and they leave grease spots all over my interior... although i have these issues i still love my car. but i wouldnt mind trading up..
Wow, picky eh? 12 of 15 are rattles and squeaks, you must have great hearing, cause I think the coins in the coin holder beside the cupholder rattles more than anything you mention.

Perhaps the problems isn't the car...
Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 AM

Wow, this is a tremendous response from everyone....It seems like the rattling issues are the most prevalent on our C-Class....Which leads me to think they need to work more on making the car fit better, and test their cars more diligently before they land on dealer lots.....But I also agree that it is important to just enjoy your car...Hec, it's not going to be my car forever, I have plans to get another Mercedes and most likely the next C-Class when it comes out, hopefully next time I can afford a six cylinder model.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by moomeh
sometimes road noise is caused by the type of road itself and has nothing to do with the car.
Sorry Moomeh, I didn't state that too clearly; not enough caffeine then, I suppose...

It's more of a sound like you'd get if the window were cracked open a tiny tiny bit, or if the door weren't shut all the way. It's different from hearing the noise from the tires.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:22 PM
moomeh

Sorry Moomeh, I didn't state that too clearly; not enough caffeine then, I suppose...

It's more of a sound like you'd get if the window were cracked open a tiny tiny bit, or if the door weren't shut all the way. It's different from hearing the noise from the tires.

out of curiousity, does any water coming in when it rains?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by moomeh
out of curiousity, does any water coming in when it rains?
No, none whatsoever, and we drove through some super-hard storms.

The car is great; this is just a little extra noise that I'm hoping the service people can take care of. OTOH, it doesn't bother me enough to make a separate trip to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450

I heard the same thing, thought it was odd for a car of this quality, but didn't say anything to the dealer at Service A. When I went to pick the car up, they advised that I would need to return in a week, when the new door seal came in.

It seems that the tech. took the car for a road test, heard the same noise, and found a problem with the original door seal.

Car is now VERY quiet on the road (assuming good road).

Be sure to mention the noise to the dealer - I'm certain that they can fix it.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Don't want to start an uproar, but it seems that the rumors are true and that the C class problems are mostly with the C230's. Any non-C230 problems out there?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 AM
moomeh

Originally posted by Incendiary
Don't want to start an uproar, but it seems that the rumors are true and that the C class problems are mostly with the C230's. Any non-C230 problems out there?
all c-classes more or less have same problems.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
I notice more rattle after i swap to bigger wheel and coilover, well i can't be bother to go to dealer and fix it, nothing major, i'm happy with the car. U can always turn the radio up to cancel out the noise , work like a charm
Old 11-20-2003, 08:53 AM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally posted by Incendiary
I think you get this impression because there appear to be more c230 owners on this board than other models.

It would be nice if the higher priced c-classes gave better quality, but not the case. This gets to another related issue (also faced by BMW with the 3 series). Mercedes and BMW both use basically the same car spanning a 20-30 thousand dollar difference in price range, depending on the model and options. The same cheap suppliers that make the parts causing these common glitches supply for a bare bones c230 and a loaded c32.
If I spent 28-32K on the car, I would have a much easier time taking these small problems in stride. The problem comes with those spending a lot more -- particularly AMG cars. If you spend around $50K, these small problems are much harder to swallow -- and justifiably so.

Additionally, a bare bones c230 may be more reliable since there are less power goodies, and less to go wrong.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
I'm confused as to how one can argue "you get what you pay for" and then in the same post mention that a 1990 Toyota Camry is more solid than a $40K C-class.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally posted by session
I'm confused as to how one can argue "you get what you pay for" and then in the same post mention that a 1990 Toyota Camry is more solid than a $40K C-class.

Yes, but he also said it felt much less luxurious etc
Poor session you have to read all these repetive threads about the same subject-take a break let me take over
Old 11-20-2003, 11:58 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by session
You're always confused so its OK, I understand. I'll dumb it down a bit for you:

A brick is more solid than my C-class, yet doesn't have nearly as many features.

More things == more things to go wrong.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
27 months old and ZERO problems
Old 11-21-2003, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Wow, I'm so suprised to hear about all the rattles. My c-coupe which had a ton of problems never, ever, rattled. In fact, that was something I liked about it. Now my Saab rattles, but at least it has no other issues.

Session, you made me laugh!

Cheers,

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 11-21-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:45 AM

2004 E55 AMG
No problems here

Here's something to think about... if you ever learn about business management, you'll learn a special rule: "A satisfied customer will tell 8 people, whereas an unsatisfied customer will tell 17."
Even though many people speak about bad MB quality, there are as many, if not more, who are satisfied customers... it's just that they don't talk about it.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:53 AM

C320 Coupe
The quality, reliability, and fit & finish is far better than any car I've owned before. Far, far better than my last three Hondas/Acuras.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:53 AM

C320 Coupe
The quality, reliability, and fit & finish is far better than any car I've owned before. Far, far better than my last three Hondas/Acuras.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Qualität

I'd say that the initial quality impression was very favourable. That is, the showroom appeal and first few weeks of use were totally positive.

But that was something of an illusion in our case, as there were subsequently several problems, many of which were annoyances.

One of these was not: the car refused to start about a year ago, which I would count as a total breakdown, apparently caused by two faulty coils. Then there was the usual BAS/ESP thing (harness changed, problem not totally solved), headrest malfunction on driver's side, driver's door seal fell off, repeated panorama roof squeaks, recalcitrant express window operation (a new switch and a new motor have not solved that one BTW), squeaky front suspension, and a few others....

Suffice it to say that I'm glad we've got the 7 year extended warranty. Because this car's a keeper.

On the other hand the car remains fun to drive, with its big block V8 torque and is relatively quiet (though it has a lot more road roar than my 1966 404).

So on the quality/reliability front, frankly it's been poor so far. Admittedly, this is a complex car, and even Toyota's bigger cars are less reliable than their small ones (Echo hatchback is their best). But that's no excuse. Mercedes quality control is in trouble and they know it. There have been several articles in Automotive News Europe about this recently.

For those hoping to keep the C until 200,000 miles, I've already got that on my daily driver Peugeot 405 and it just keeps going and going.

So I sure as hell hope the Benz can do that mileage with EASE. Sure, the 405 rattles like hell, but it's French and nearly 15 years old. It's broken down once too, but at 160,000 miles, and that was a faulty coil(!). The entire drivetrain has been untouched thus far, TOTAL mechanical reliability.

My next car is likely to be the aforementioned Toyota Echo Hatchback (not available in USA, you guys down there apparently don't like small cars, but we Canucks do), which is a nice little car, it handles well, looks good, was designed in Europe by a European, is built in Japan and has the second best reliability rating of all cars sold in Europe. Oh and its crash test results in EuroNCAP nearly equal those of the C Class...BTW I'm keeping both Peugeots and the Benz so don't get too excited...