C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 power folding mirrors not folding!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG (R171)
W203 power folding mirrors not folding!

Hi folks. Hope this is the right place to post this.

Anyway, someone decided to smash up mums (moms) wing mirror whilst it was parked up and in the folded position. Its a 2006 C200K. Completely smashed the indicator and on closer inspection damaged the motor beyond repair.

I managed to a replacement, fitted today. But whereas before the drivers side would fold ok, now neither side does anything! They are currently in the closed position. Can they be manually folded open? I have tried but didn't want to break them!

Any ideas what the issue could be? Hoping something simple.

Ta.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 AM

S124 1995 300d and W203 2006 estate
No answer but I have the same problem almost.
someone smashed the mirror while it was sticking out. The fold motor gearbox housing is plastic with no overload protection so it broke open.
I replaced the whole assembly with second hand unit. it worked ok but always looked a bit stiff to operate.
It used to feel like you needed to push the button very hard on the dashboard to get the fold to work.
the mirrors now don't fold out.
I assumed the switch is faulty. took it out of the dash, too many wires and no diagram but the switch clicks nicely and i can hear something in the car react when i press the button very lightly.
I'm still trying to fix this myself. currently have the mirrors on the bench and both work ok when touched to a battery.
now I am looking for wiring diagrams so I can get buzy with the multi-meter. bit worried due to the proximity of the airbags!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The switch is not connected to the mirror. It is simply an input to the CANbus to tell what you want it to do. It signals a module in the door near the mirror. The power electronics to turn on and off the three motors and the heating element in the mirror are in that module with the circuit that flashes the turn indicator assembly in the mirror.

The mirrors are sometimes a bit sticky to move. If you give it a little push when using the button and it moves, the motor needs a little shot of spindle or silicone oil on the shaft.

The problem that I encounter most often is the wires breaking from the flexing when the mirror moves. You can spend a WP (whole paycheck) buying a harness for the mirror, or just replace a section of the wire that is broken. Sometime the wire breaks inside the insulation .

The wire that will last the longest is AWG 22 Litz wire. This is extremely flexible wire that is designed to move back and forth. You can find it on Ebay.
I don't know why, but the Germans cannot make a hermetic oil seal that does not leak, nor insulation on wires that does not crack and fall off.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 AM

S124 1995 300d and W203 2006 estate
Sorry I never came back to tell my fix. I managed to take apart the 'combined light switch mirror control' its all just clipped together. all really nice plastic and rubber. inside the switches are like the things you get in TV remote controls. little conducting rubber pads which press against a little squiggle on a circuit board.I cleaned the surfaces with some contact cleaner and air duster. I still have to press the button quite firmly but the mirrors are working again.