C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Strange sound system problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230
Strange sound system problem

I have a 2002 c230 with Bose sound system. About a year ago I started having this problem where the sound would cut off after about two minutes of starting up the car. Sometimes I would not get sound even when I start the car.

About 6 months ago, I started to have this other problem where the front center speaker would make static noise. I noticed it would happen more on wet and cold days. I am trying to figure the cause of these issues and hoping to fix them.

I got a fibre optic coupler and eliminated the cd changer with no luck.

I have the entire center console removed and the back portion to test for bad connections or cut wires. I can't find anything.

I also disconnected the radio antenna but the sound is still there.

Any help on what to do or how to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Does the static noise increase when you press the throttle or during acceleration? Sounding like you can hear the engine running in your speaker?

If so, you have bleed through the ignition system. it may be the insulation (shielding) of the spark plug wires... You can check the spark plug cables to see if they cracked if you bend them a bit.

Not sure why though your stereo system completely cuts out. Does the stereo work when the engine is not running and the ignition is in accessory? Sounds if it cuts out when engine is running and stereo cuts out and you hear static noise it could be interference from a spark plug cable getting bad. Remember there is high voltage is going through those cables to the spark plugs, leakage from bad cables will interfere with the radio and is usually evident thru the speakers where you can hear the engine... Rev the engine and turn up the volume on the stereo a bit and listen if you can hear the static in the speakers coincide with the engine RPM.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You might be working at the wrong end of the car. There is an Amp in the trunk that might have an issue with the soldering of the driver chips to the circuit board.

The sound travels on fiber optics to the amp. The amp sends the digital data through a DSP to the speaker drivers.

If you are not comfortable with finding bad solder joints and resoldering them, you can consider a junkyard unit.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM

2002 C230
I just checked and the sound does increase when I press the throttle. I'll check the spark plug cables today. When the ignition is in accessory, I get some static sound but not as bad as when the engine is on.

For the 2002 c230, the amp is behind the srs on the rear passenger seat side. I do have access to the amp as well. I read somewhere to test these components, plug the fibre optic cable out while their in operation and see if the fibre optic cables flash. If they flash for a few seconds, that means the unit is ok, if you don't see flashing light then the unit has a problem. I did this test with the cd changer and the amp and both seemed to flash and I assumed they were ok.

I also, bought a used radio but that didn't make a difference.

I took a video of the problem I'm having.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2011.57.11.mp4

Thank you guys for all the help so far.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM

03 c240 4matic
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH THE CENTER SPEAKER AND THE REAR TWO SPEAKERS, I HAVE AN AFTERMARKET UNIT AND WANT TO JUST CUT THOSE SPEAKERS FROM THE SYSTEM, CAN I DISCONNECT THEM FROM THE REAR AMP? DOES SOMEONE HAVE A DIAGRAM WITH THE WIRING FROM THE AMP. I ONLY GET THE PROBLEM WHEN IT RAINS IM GUESSING WATER IS GETTING TO THE SYSTEM SOMEHOW