C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

confused about climate control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230k coupe
confused about climate control

ok. I have an "Auto" button and "EC Rest" button on the console and I am not sure what's the best way to use these. I glanced through the manual but it's always easier -and better- to hear from the experienced

-How does does the air distribution work with "Auto" selected?
-Is "EC" an "Auto" without air conditioning? so does this mean if it gets too hot, it will shut itself off until it is triggered by a temperature fall?
-I figured I can activate "EC" too when "Auto" is on but when "EC" is on by itself, pressing "Auto" will deactivate "EC". What is going on?
-In general should I usually leave it on "Auto"?

It's getting cold around here and it would be nice to master the climate control.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:01 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
It is confusing, and I'm not sure anyone really fully understands how it works!

I thought that if you selected Auto, it would automatically try to get to whatever temperature you have selected. So, if you put it to 72, and its 82 inside the car, it will kick on the AC compressor to cool the car down.

I understood that if you selected EC (in addition to Auto), you are in "Economy" mode. The car will still try to regulate to whatever temp you set, EXCEPT in EC the AC compressor will NOT go on. So, if you select 72 and its 82 in the car, it will try to cool it down using just the fan (of course, it will never get to 72 without the compressor, but it will try).

The thing that seems to happen, though, is when you select EC it shuts down the compressor, but also goes into some kind of recirculation mode. I've found with EC on, the interior tends to get very stuffy and humid.

I am not one who likes to run the compressor at all times. I would like it if I could just get some straight damn fresh air through the vents, but the it seems difficult to get just straight, unprocessed air.

So, now I just leave it on Auto all the time. Its the easiest and seems to keep the interior air the freshest.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:04 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
P.S.

In the winter, it would certainly seem best to leave AUTO on, and EC off. I can't think of any reason why that would not be the best way to handle it in the winter.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
SoCal, you've got it pretty much correct. The "EC/Rest" button actually serves a dual purpose. With the engine running, it means "economy" mode, which does disengage the AC compressor. (Some of us have noted that the cold air does not stop being produced for several minutes after engaging EC mode). If you leave the system in "auto", it will try to cool the car (if necessary) w/o the compressor. Usually, I also take the system out of "auto" when I use "EC" so that the fan does not kick up faster and faster trying to cool the car. This is when I just want outside air through the upper vents. (btw, I've had several automatic climate systems, and this one works very well, IMO). The "EC/Rest" button, if pressed when the engine was just shut off, provides the "Rest" function. This will distribute "still warm" air from the heat vents in cold weather at a low fan setting, or coolish air from the upper vents in warm weather to provide some ventilation for any passengers still in the car. I believe the "Rest" function will run for about 10 minutes and then shut off, or you can press the button again to turn it off.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:13 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
But why does it seem so humid when the EC is activated? Like it is recirculating air, or cutting off outside air from coming in?

What I would really like, and what would suit my climate, is no ac compressor and just pure, unprocessed air blowing through the vents. I can't seem to get that!
Old 11-23-2001, 08:06 PM

'00 C280W, Obsidian Black/Charcoal
Exclamation

The "REST" function lasts for 30 minutes unless the battery voltage drops below 11.0 VDC wherein it will shut down before the time period. ...RAB

Originally posted by MarkL
I believe the "Rest" function will run for about 10 minutes and then shut off, or you can press the button again to turn it off.

Hope this helps.