C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Steering Clunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 C-Coupe
Steering Clunk

My steering wheel is making a slight clunking noise when I move it across a certain area. If I move the wheel across the area that would be 11 on an clock with hands.

Anyone know what it might be? I have an appointment for an MB service tech to take a look at it, but it is always good if you can demonstrate some knowledge. I always feel MB are reluctant to do anything while under warranty, I bet as soon as it runs out they will hit me for a bunch of stuff.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 PM
moomeh

i have this problem. i will be taking the car in for service B in 1.5k.

i get the clunk noise and i feel it. i can feel it on large bumps and sometime on small bumps. i do not know the cause.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I think I have heard this noise as well. Only rarely though. I have 16k on mine so far. will see if it gets worse. Let us know what service dept tells you it is.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 380 SEL
The "Clunk" on my C230 @ 30,000 km was repaired by the dealer. They replaced the front stabilizer linkages under warranty. Funny thing was that I didn't mention it to them, they found it themselves and did the work while the car was in for service. I am pretty satisfied with the service I receive from the dealership. Unfortunately, not all people can say that.

Larry B.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
I have a similar but different problem... Whenever I turn the wheels hard left or hard right, my car moans. I have a feeling it's because of the power steering mechanism, but my fluid is at the correct level and you'd think that would be something they replace at service B (which I had 3k miles ago).
Old 12-10-2003, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by session
I have a similar but different problem... Whenever I turn the wheels hard left or hard right, my car moans. I have a feeling it's because of the power steering mechanism, but my fluid is at the correct level and you'd think that would be something they replace at service B (which I had 3k miles ago).
It will get worse with time. Take it to the dealer, this should be a quick fix. Most likely - lubing the steering column boot (at least that's what it was in my case).
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Steering Clunk

Originally posted by nboyd
My steering wheel is making a slight clunking noise when I move it across a certain area. If I move the wheel across the area that would be 11 on an clock with hands.

Anyone know what it might be? I have an appointment for an MB service tech to take a look at it, but it is always good if you can demonstrate some knowledge. I always feel MB are reluctant to do anything while under warranty, I bet as soon as it runs out they will hit me for a bunch of stuff.
I had a similar complaint with my CLK. Rock the steering wheel back and forth and clunk, clunk she goes. They diagnosed the problem as the drag link but guess what? It was still there as I drove away. The service writer dragged the mechanic who misdiagnosed it out for a first hand demonstration. "Geez, that's a loud noise!" No ****, Sherlock! New diagnosis was a bad steering column which was replaced as a unit. No more clunk, clunk.