C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

100K Maintenance for 01 C320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
100K Maintenance for 01 C320

Hello everyone!

My C320 is at just over 101K miles and I want to make sure she runs for another 100K miles. I just purchased her a month ago and I would like to slowly but surely start getting her in tip top shape. However, I am not sure what the 100K maintenance entails in these cars. In my previous cars (mostly Dodges and Chryslers) they have involved timing belts, water pumps, hoses, so forth and so on. On this car, the manual only states to do a few things. I keep reading that these cars have a timing chain instead of a belt, do they need maintenance?

At the moment these are the things the car needs, or will be having done for peace of mind:

1. Front end work (I'm thinking tie rod ends, or bushings of some sort. I am getting some clunks at slow speeds when hitting bumps and when turning the wheel slowly.)
2. Transmission fluid and filter change (No record of it being done, so I will do it now for peace of mind and because the transmission doesn't seem to like shifting well from 3 to 4 in stop and go traffic.)
3. Misc Fluids (Brake, power steering, so forth and so on. Another peace of mind maintenance that I will do over time.)
4. Alignment (She pulls to the right, which may be related to the tie rods or something else up front.)
5. New tires, wheels and balance (Rims look very bad, one has a slight bend, 2 tires are new, 2 are old and shakes a bit at high speeds.)

Is there anything else I should do to the car to ensure some long miles with no problems? I am thinking of doing the battery, as I am not sure how old it is, and with winters being so rough here, I would not like to end up stuck somewhere because of an old battery. My only fear is that I keep hearing horror stories about replacing the battery and then being faced with a plethora of electrical issues.

Beyond that, I am looking to do just some simple mods. I would like to do the COMAND 2.0 navigation, but it seems to be impossible to do. I would like to do some suspension to stiffen the feel and lower the body a bit, a new sway bar, the spoiler for the trunk, and the black vinyl top for the roof. All of that will come after I feel the car is 100% ready, though.

I appreciate the help and tips!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Thumbs up

C320 engine should be fine, you shouldn't need to worry about the chain.
I'd flush the coolant though, if it hasn't been done recently.
Check the serpentine belt for wear/cracking from age.

Def. do the transmission fluid.
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, so it's also a good idea.
Power steering fluid has likely not been changed in 13 years, so you'll definitely feel an improvement.

Try rotating the front wheels side-to-side. Sometimes it helps with the pull.

COMAND: https://mbworld.org/forums/mobile-electronics-lighting/538250-w203-comand.html#post6021434 - not sure if he's still selling it.

I have a 22mm OEM sway bar with slightly squeaky bushings. You could rip them off the bar and fashion the replacement ones there.