C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Metal grinding/loud squeal noise ONLY when the wheel is turn to the left and moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
Metal grinding/loud squeal noise ONLY when the wheel is turn to the left and moving

2002 W203 C230 is making some loud metal-on-metal grinding/squeal noise ONLY when turning to the left moving forward. For right turns, it doesn't make any noise. Even for the left turns, the noise doesn't ALWAYS occur, though. It seems the noise most frequently occurs when the wheel is turned to the left at 80% of its capacity while moving.

What could be the issue?
I searched the net and it seemed like it could be a variety of issues...

Wheel bearing?
I doubt it's the steering wheel fluid.
CV joint?

The most probably cause seems like the bent rotor dust cover grinding against the rotor when it is turned to the left.. Is this a common issue for W203?

Anybody has any ideas?....
Any input could be greatly appreciated...
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM

2005 C240
hhhmmmmm

I would stand outside the car while someone else drives it to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from. (front back left or right)

that will help us give you a little more information.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Mercedes c200
Originally Posted by netddos
2002 W203 C230 is making some loud metal-on-metal grinding/squeal noise ONLY when turning to the left moving forward. For right turns, it doesn't make any noise. Even for the left turns, the noise doesn't ALWAYS occur, though. It seems the noise most frequently occurs when the wheel is turned to the left at 80% of its capacity while moving.

What could be the issue?
I searched the net and it seemed like it could be a variety of issues...

Wheel bearing?
I doubt it's the steering wheel fluid.
CV joint?

The most probably cause seems like the bent rotor dust cover grinding against the rotor when it is turned to the left.. Is this a common issue for W203?

Anybody has any ideas?....
Any input could be greatly appreciated...
See if it's the handbrake/break system that's causing that. I had a similar problem.