C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Which cleaning products? Vinyl bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2002 | 10:19 AM

Which cleaning products? Vinyl bra?

Normally, I'm a by-the-book type of guy. I have C230K coming in about 2 weeks, so I borrowed my friends owner's manual and it says use only MB cleaning products. I would expect that from the manufacturer, but what do you guys use? Do you actually buy MB products or do you use good "off the shelf" cleaners/waxes? I guess I'm most interested in wheel and interior cleaners (plastic dash & cloth upholstery). I typically use Meguiar's waxes, and I suppose those are still OK on the MB.

Also, I'm debating between X-pel type film and a vinyl bra. Anybody use a removavble bra, and what's the best one? Any noticeable scratching of the paint surface?
Old 03-17-2002 | 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
This topic is sure to bring a lot of opinions. Here's my $.02.

For the interior, I've been using the M-B products for vinyl and leather (I've got the standard leather/M-B Tex seats in my C240). The Interior Care (for vinyl) has worked very well on my Java interior. I just used the Leather Care the other day for the 1st time on the leather inserts and was very pleased. I had bought some Lexol cleaner and conditioner, but it had the normal "may darken colors" disclaimer. The M-B stuff is one-step, and it didn't affect the color at all, nor did it leave any additional sheen. BTW, the M-B products are made by Meguiar's, though I'm not sure they're the standard formulas found "on the shelf".

For waxing, I've been using One Grand Blitz wax, carnauba based. It's a cinch to apply and remove, leaves a great shine, and lasts several months at least.

For the wheels, I've actually been keeping up with the brake dust w/ normal washing. I try to wash it once a week, but a couple times have gone 2 weeks. I have P21S gel formula wheel cleaner, which is highly recommended by all German makes. In fact, that's what they sold me at my M-B dealer when I first picked up some products. I've used P21S a couple of times -- it won't hurt the wheels. Some people say Simple Green is great on wheels, though I haven't tried it. Also, I've applied the Blitz wax to the wheels a couple of times.

I found a great web site for products - carcareonline.com. I called and placed a couple of orders and got them 2-3 days later.

There are many other products which probably work as well as these, so good luck!
Old 03-17-2002 | 06:26 PM

MarkL,
Do you use a chamois, or soft cotton towels? I have always used towels because I had heard that chamois's remove the wax; however, MB recommends a chamois.
Old 03-18-2002 | 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I've always used good quality cotton towels, like Fieldcrest. I did some experimentation with natural chamois and a P21S drying towel (synthetic chamois) when I first got my C240. I wasn't happy with the results. Real chamois are tanned w/ oils which will strip wax, and both types are very smooth and create a lot of friction with nowhere for dirt to "hide". I went back to towels. Interesting note though, I just bought new towels and have had some trouble since they're so new. They're still not picking up as much moisture as my older towels which were wearing out. I think after they're washed a few more times everything will be OK.

Also, I forgot to mention I've been using P21S Bodywork Shampoo for washing -- it's supposed to be very gentle on waxes. I got it from that place I mentioned, and it's about $8 for 500ml.
Old 03-19-2002 | 06:55 PM

2002 C230 Sports Coupe/Alabaster White/Oyster Leather/Auto/C7/C1/C5/K2
Waxing question

I've just completed the first 1500 miles on my C230k delivered December 15th of last year . (Alabaster White, C5, K2, Auto Transmission, C1, and C7).

Since it has not rained here in Phoenix to any extent since I've had this car, it has not needed washing so far. I brush any dust off the car after driving it, and clean off the windshield and wheels with a paper towel, window cleaner, and tire cleaner.

Eventually I will bring it to our local car wash, and am wondering if I should request the spray-on wax or "preservative" as it goes down the line? While it seems that many of you prefer to wash and wax your own cars, I don't plan do it myself, nor do I plan to take it in to a detailing shop for such services. Does anyone use the spray-on car wax at the car wash on their C230s? Or do you just ask them to wash the car and omit the "wax"? My sales person at the dealership told me that if the car is garaged, that the original factory finish should suffice, but I would like to get any other views on the subject.

Thanks much,

Phil Douglis
pnd1@***.net