C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Lysholm Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lysholm Supercharger

Is Eaton supplying the supercharger bodies for Whipple Lysholm ?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would doubt that since the Eaton is a Rootes type supercharger and the Lysholm is a screw type.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------
which twin screw?

From Chris Weisberg of Works Power:

As far as the connection between Autorotor, Lysholm, and Whipple: Mr. Alf Lysholm invented the screw supercharger many years ago. Lysholm company today still owns the rights to the design. Whipple imports true Lysholm superchargers. Autorotor builds their superchargers under license from Lysholm. Kenne/Bell imports Autorotors.

We chose the "Whipplecharger" (the Lysholm) for several reasons: One was the quality of the supercharger itself. Lysholm invented the screw blower, so we think it is safe to say they know more about how to build them than others. Additionally, in 1998 Eaton Corporation obtained license from Lysholm to build screw compressors. Eaton has shared much of their technology pertaining to building reliable and efficient automotive superchargers with Lysholm. As a result, Lysholms (Whipples) now use Eaton bearings, shafts, and gears. This makes us feel comfortable about the unit, since Eaton spent millions of dollars developing reliable bearings and gear tooth profiles during the inception of Eaton's supercharger division. The auto manufacturers must feel the same way we do, because some are gearing up to use these Lysholm-based Eatons on production vehicles in the near future. Mercury Marine is already on board, and now so are Saleen, Comptech, and others. From what we've seen on the new GT-40, Ford is getting involved too. Through Eaton's involvement these superchargers are QS-9000 certified (QS-9000 is the common supplier quality standard for DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors Corporation). According to Autorotor's website the Autorotors are not
QS-certifiable.

The other main reason we went with Whipple also had to do with quality - of the importer. We visited Whipple Industries and were impressed with the facility and the crew. They have a good reputation and we've been pleased with their performance as a vendor. Some end users may not be concerned with the vendor(s) upstream of the retailer where they purchase their goods, but if/when there is a service issue, or a repair needed, or a warranty defect which needs to be stood behind, it gets old pretty quickly to hear even the friendliest retailer saying "I don't know, I still have no word back yet from my supplier" (or worse). With Eaton involved, the issue is not mechanical reliability or efficiency, and with Whipple supplying the superchargers, as far as I am concerned, neither is customer service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Whipple Industries refer to their products as "Eaton/Lysholm"
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162