C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

i'm no millionaire...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
Re: similar story

Originally posted by leepolun
I pulled up, she looked at my surprised, eyes pop, mouth open, yelled,"Did you hit the Jackpot?" Why are you driving that?

Needless to say, she gave me her updated cell phone # immediatedly.

someone will be lucky soon.......hm........i should go to grocery shopping today....=)
Old 03-19-2002, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's funny to me is that it's OK to spend $30-40K on a nice mega size sport ute and nobody says anything and just figures, housewife or family hauler. Spend that much on a Jag, BMW or MB and they think your living high on the hog, wasting money, being foolish.

I see MBs and I think there goes someone that likes taking his car into service a lot just to get free loaners to abuse.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
What's funny to me is that it's OK to spend $30-40K on a nice mega size sport ute and nobody says anything and just figures, housewife or family hauler. Spend that much on a Jag, BMW or MB and they think your living high on the hog, wasting money, being foolish.

Who are "they"? I've never known anyone who thinks that someone who buys a C class, or 3 series BMW is "living high on the hog, wasting money, being foolish." Never. Not one person.

I think a lot of people here are delusional about what others think of their little C class car. Its actually quite amusing. "I drive a C class, people think I am a millionaire," "people cut me off in my C class because they are jealous of my car," "people think I am a snob because of my C class," "someone asked me if I was a movie star, since I drive a C230," etc.

I guess no harm in kidding yourself, and if a buying a $35K car makes you think people are mistaking you for a millionaire, extravagant spending person, other motorists are looking at you with envy (and cutting you off because of it), or that anyone even cares at all, more power to ya! But, psssst, it just ain't happenin' (again, unless MAYBE you live in Outer Reaches Podunk, USA).
Old 03-19-2002, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck you live in Newporche Beach where MBs are what you get your kids when they turn 16. Many that live in the rest of Orange County thinks MBs, Jag, BMWs are reserved for the wealthy even when they are priced as low as the C-Coupe is.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by SoCal240/6

Who are "they"? I've never known anyone who thinks that someone who buys a C class, or 3 series BMW is "living high on the hog, wasting money, being foolish." Never. Not one person.

I think a lot of people here are delusional about what others think of their little C class car. Its actually quite amusing. "I drive a C class, people think I am a millionaire," "people cut me off in my C class because they are jealous of my car," "people think I am a snob because of my C class," "someone asked me if I was a movie star, since I drive a C230," etc.

I guess no harm in kidding yourself, and if a buying a $35K car makes you think people are mistaking you for a millionaire, extravagant spending person, other motorists are looking at you with envy (and cutting you off because of it), or that anyone even cares at all, more power to ya! But, psssst, it just ain't happenin' (again, unless MAYBE you live in Outer Reaches Podunk, USA).
Not everyone is a car buff and even knows the difference between a C, E, or S. To them it's just a "mercedes". They see the tri star or the Bimmer symbol and just assume that the person driving it is wealthy. Not saying everyone does this, but I can see it happening a lot. Also, a $35K car is almost twice the price of the average cars on the road in most of the country. to some people, being able to spend that much on a car means that they are doing good in life. It wasn't too long ago that I thought the same thing.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
People certainly don't think that in Laguna Niguel, do they? Laguna Niguel is the land of the leased C class and 3 series.

I suppose you are right, if someone living in a $90,000 house in Santa Ana, who makes $20,000 a year, were to buy a C230, his neighbors might think that he was extravagant.

But the C class is a, mid-priced, mass production car that is common throughout most middle class neighborhoods in Orange County, in California, and throughout the US. Nothing wrong with that at all, but its a C class, not a Corniche or Countach, fer chrissakes!
Old 03-19-2002, 06:52 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i really wouldnt consider the c class (or 3 series) anywhere near a rolls or a bently, but to say they are commonplace is just as silly.

25k honda accords were sold in january
vs
4k c class mercedes
vs
30 bently arnages

and yes, to the uneducated (in a car sense) honda accord driving masses ANY mercedes is a sign of opulence and sucess.

(even though it isnt)
Old 03-19-2002, 08:27 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Talking

I make probably the least of anyone on this board... but I have two jobs and make all my payments without endangering myself financially. I'm a journalist and I play in a band at night. (the band sometimes is the bigger income)

I STILL get a lot of guff for driving it.

I tell them that anyone can work 18 hour days to get what they want!!!

That shuts them up.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
I guess i have it good. I'm 19 and still live at home so i don't have a house payment. That allows me to spend a larger chunk of my check on a car. So that way when I move out i will have a good amount of equity built up so if i need to cut back i can do that. Although where I live you get a nice car when you are 16 and for graduation you get a great car. I actually bought my own car but my 4 closest friends just got there graduation cars. They are as followed 2000 GTS Dodge Viper, 2001 Corvette Z06, 2001 Audi TT 225hp Convertible, 2002 Navigator. But the funny thing is when we go out as a group and we pull up to a club or we are asked what we are driving I always get the most attention even though I have the cheapest (dollar wise) car of the group. I guess there really is something about a Mercedes. Since most arent familiar with the C Coupe I usually say i drive the new coupe, they say "huh?" then I say its a 2 door Mercedes, and its like someone lights a firecracker. You drive a Mercedes Coupe! well look at you Mr. Moneybags, all the while, not paying attention to my friends $65k Viper, $50K Z06, $37K Audi, and $46K Navigator, and me with my $28K Mercedes. I just dont understand it.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
The cook at Boston Market came over to the drive-thru window and asked me if my car was the new Mercedes Coupe and I said "yes" and he leans out over the window and asks me real loud how much I pay a month, hovering all over my door and I really rudely said go buy one and you'll find out. It's really annoying when you get questions asked in that tone and especially a question like that.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:42 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
fortunately among my social circle, no one asks what one drives. At least not in your face.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:27 PM

Brill. Silver-C230K, Auto, C4,C5,C7
Even my parents, who pay more in taxes than I earn, were critical when they heard "MB"!