C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help debugging ABS+ESP Errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 C200K (2001)
Question Help debugging ABS+ESP Errors

-----------------
Update:
I still didn't get my hands on a proper scanner, but I managed to localise the issue to the steering wheel, after browsing the forums a bit more
I found out it's possible to have issues with the telescopic steering wheel connections at some positions, so i tried moving it around a bit where
cables aren't as stretched/compressed, it seems to have disappeared for a while, but after a couple of bumps while driving it came back, after
another restart it went again, so i'm now pretty sure it's in the steering wheel column, will open that up later and if i manage to fix the problem
will post pics.
if anyone needs to know anything about that job let me know so i can take specific pics !
-----------------

Hey guys !, my '00 W203 recently started intermittently showing ABS+ESP errors.

I noticed it started happening when driving in steep downhills only.

it usually went away after driving a couple meters.

now it stays on and of course I don't have ABS nor ESP

Here's how it happens:
1- Start car , error lights are off (sometimes they're on on start too)
2- Drive slowly (Below 30km/h) everything works great
3- Go above 30km/h, ABS + ESP errors come on

Please note that cruise control still works even though those errors are there !

I don't have access to Star or an OBD with ABS capabilities, but should get something in a couple of days I hope !

1- I already tried the lock to lock x5 trick multiple times , didn't help.
2- I checked to make sure the Brake lights work, and they do.
3- I visually checked tyres they all look fully inflated, probably not that too.
4- I checked below the car and there seems to be some oil leak , not crazy but there's a bit of an oil smudge that my guess would be close to the gearbox (could this be a symptom of a pilot bushing going bad ?)

any help appreciated, i know it's hard to guess with no error codes, i'll try to get pull them ASAP, if anyone has any tips on what to look at, let me know

Last edited by mostafaberg; 12-12-2014 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Update