C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 c230 misfires + rough idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 c230 sport
2006 c230 misfires + rough idle

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've read posts on here that helped me before. I couldn't find something that was the same as my problem, I'll try to provide as much info as possible, so here it is:

I drive a 2006 c230 sport with 120k miles on her. The car is in immaculate shape and has not given me problems until now -- aside from the normal maintenance. I've recently done a tune up on the car about 20k miles ago and oil change very recent (less than 1500 miles ago).

It started with a check engine light telling me about an O2 sensor (sensor 1 in bank 1), I took it to my mechanic and replaced both sensors with Bosch sensors before the CAT since they were due anyways.

At the time the problem wasn't so bad, but then I started to notice that the car shakes at idle, and I mean she shakes and trembles really bad, and it got worse by the day; later on, the CEL came on again and this time it was saying misfires in cylinders 1,3,4,5 randomly (p0300, p0301, p0303, p0304, p0305), some of them would go away, others would come back on. Really bizarre. Also, it was throwing a code for the Throttle body actuator being jammed. Sorry but I don't remember the exact code number for that. She died on me twice while in reverse, never in drive though. I'm ruling out the CAT converter only because the exhaust smells fine (I understand that there should be a rotten smell if that goes bad). I'm also speculating the injectors but I don't know the exact symptoms that indicate bad injectors, and I'm not sure how to know if the MAF is the culprit.

The transmission shifts up and down normally and the car doesn't shake while driving, on random occasions the car would idle high, but mostly it will be on appx 500 rpm on idle while shaking. Sometimes I hear hissing too, but not all the time.

I feel like the car has been in limp mode, I pulled three of the spark plugs but they looked good, coils too. plus the car is fine once I drive out of Idle, aside from minor hesitation sometimes when I step on the accelerator rapidly. One last thing is a code that I couldn't figure out: "p0607 control module performance". my mechanic told me that he wanted to clean the throttle body and that should fix it, I'm not too convinced but I'm gonna let him do it anyways, in case that doesn't do it, I wanted to hear out suggestions, how bad could this, If I have to keep driving it at the moment so could there be further damages. If you have any thought, previous experiences, whatever you guys can tell me, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Zed
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
if you are hearing hissing you could have a vacuum leak near the throttle body. I had the same symptoms as you and all I had to do was push a loose vacuum hose back on tightly.

Air entering the engine through a vacuum leak is not being measured by the MAF and the engine will be running lean. At higher rpms the engine runs normally because the small amount of air entering is not diluting the fuel mixture enough to cause a misfire.