C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Custom iPod Installation, works great!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom iPod Installation, works great!

I know that some people on here have been looking for slick ways to integrate an iPod mp3 player into the car without using the wireless transmitter stuff (I tried one of these, signal quality was completely unacceptable).

I went to a local car audio shop and the owner performed my install personally. One thing I wanted was to have only one cable providing both audio and power to minimize the clutter.

I purchased one of these:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006
[Belkin Auto Kit for iPod with Dock Connector]

This plugs into the dock port on your iPod, and also into a cigarette lighter to power the player. The cigarette lighter portion has an audio out port to connect to whatever output you want, and has a built in amplifier.

The guys at Dashworks removed the center panels and hardwired the Belkin to the cigarette lighter circuit, this way the iPod will have external power when the car is on, and will switch to battery when the ignition is turned off. He tried connecting it to several other more convenient circuits, but they all had constant power (or not enough voltage), so the iPod would still be running off the car battery even when the car was off.

He also installed a Pioneer FM modulator (~$70) which attaches directly to the antenna input of the car receiver, and hijacks one frequency for its use. It sounds much better than a wireless transmitter because there is no interference. This was connected to the audio-out port on the Belkin.

The only cable running into my interior is the cable that plugs into my iPods dock port. He has it coming through the back of the little cubby-hole below the radio, so when the iPod is resting in there is looks completely natural.

If people want pictures, let me know.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PICS??!!!

Can we have some pics?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4matic
My question to you is.
How do you think the FM modelator compares to the cassette adapter in sound quality?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 PM

Pictures

First pic:

Second:

Third:

The FM modulator does not have as good sound as a casette adapter, I like it because its cleaner though.

The black box on the left is a remote power switch for the FM modulator.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Here's another way...

This is the modification I made to my C32. It was much simpler to do than it looks. And well worth it - the sound quality is excellent.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=31597