C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

GPS Systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c240 4matic wagon
GPS Systems

Here's my iPAQ in action:

The cradle mount is from Arkon :

- it attaches via double-sided adhesive pad. Works great, not too ugly when iPAQ not attached; I usually hook my cell phone into it with a headset when not using the GPS. In NJ, you get a ticket in a heartbeat if you talk & drive w/o a hands-free set.
Good thing - most people can't ***** and chew gum at the same time...
Old 03-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Ted
Almost a Member!

Current : '91300D Turbo (124) & 89 190D Past: 240D / 300SD / 300D Turbo(123)
More information please !

Could you please provide spects for this GPS ? Does it have audio directions ? Cost ? Purchase source and how you like it
Old 03-23-2002, 09:18 AM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
Looks Great!

Which Nav software kit are you using? I am also a private pilot, and I use my iPAQ with a Jepson package for inflight NAV operations. The iPAQ is fairly heavy; does it not want to pull away the double sided tape? If I didn't have to tape it in, or worse, screw it in , I might use it in the car too. I wonder if there's a mounting bracket that plugs directly into the cig-lighter???
Old 03-23-2002, 02:16 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
specifics:

I'm using TravRoute's PocketCoPilot Navman Edition.
It has voice guidance, and I'm pretty happy with it. There may be better receivers out there, but they always require extra cabling and mounting on the dash or windshield. I like the Navman because of its integrated look, AND because of the nifty memory card slot. I just added 192MB of extra RAM for $80 - enough to load map data for a round trip from Montreal via Boston to Philadelphia. Cool stuff.

Another package that's interesting is DestiNator by PowerLOC Technologies. Doesn't come as stand-alone software yet, and drivers for the Navman GPS receiver are pending; I'd like to look into getting just the software to work with the Navman, because some features and the overall look make it interesting to me.

Don't worry, Jay - I was skeptical myself at first; wouldn't the weight of the unit gradually pull it off? No sweat, it sticks solid as a rock, and thanks to the quality Mercedes vinyl cover material, it doesn't pull on it and wear it out to the point where it begins to sag and show. Plus I don't keep the unit attached permanently, only on trips where I need guidance. At all other times, my cell phone hooks into there. I would never dream of drilling holes into my Mercedes dash (unless it was in a nightmare). Check out the Arkon site - they have a gooseneck mount that can be mounted via the screw in the seat mount; I haven't checked if that works with the Benz, but is worth looking into. Goosenecks do look kinda cool.

If you ever decide to remove the dash mount, just slide some dental floss (waxed) in between the dash and the adhesive, and floss away. Should come off without a scratch to the vinyl. Not that I've tried it yet...

Arkon also has multi-media mounts where you can use a station on the radio dial to beam the voice instructions from the iPAQ to your onboard sound system (I'm not sure if it comes in on top of the radio/CD sound, or whether these are muted; I doubt that).
Downside is the power feed takes up the only outlet in the center console, which you would need for the iPAQ/GPS receiver. They're pretty hungry together. You can get a splitter, but I don't feel like dealing with all those cables, plus with the Navman jacket, the entire hookup would end up being pretty bulky and look just plain goofy. If that doesn't scare you away, you can get a twin multi-media mount that accommodates your cell phone at the same time. What'll they come up with next - an integrated dental chair??:p
Old 03-23-2002, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow... lookin good... this appears to be a viable alternative for those who dont like the command system but still desire a Navigation system.
Kudos!!
Old 03-24-2002, 09:06 AM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
re: TravRoute's PocketCoPilot Navman Edition

OK Columbus, time to play salesman.... Is the TravRout's mapping system a rotating map, or is it static, and just give you turn instructions? Also, does it store multiple waypoints? So, if I want to go fom my house to my customer's location, but make 2 or 3 stops at MB dealers along the way?....... Also, I like the voice command it gives, but that male voice?? Come on! Is that configurable? You know, like the British female voice on the X-type?

Don't worry, I won't ask for a .avi demo ....yet....
Old 03-24-2002, 05:54 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: re: TravRoute's PocketCoPilot Navman Edition

Originally posted by jay
OK Columbus, time to play salesman.... Is the TravRout's mapping system a rotating map, or is it static, and just give you turn instructions? Also, does it store multiple waypoints? So, if I want to go fom my house to my customer's location, but make 2 or 3 stops at MB dealers along the way?....... Also, I like the voice command it gives, but that male voice?? Come on! Is that configurable? You know, like the British female voice on the X-type?

Don't worry, I won't ask for a .avi demo ....yet....
You can select "North" or "Driving Direction" to point up, in which case the map rotates. It's got two modes - Driver and Passenger, which means that in Drvr mode, the top half you see above covers the entire screen until you approach your next turn; Passenger mode displays the map at all times (as shown above). The voice cannot be changed, but it sounds realistic, not computerized, and it doesn't get on my nerves like the exaggeratedly cheerful instructions on Lucent's voice mail systems ("Mornin' Little Cheerios!") dubbed by unemployed actresses. The iPAQ goes, "Just ahead, bear right."

The DestinAtor software lets you select the gender, I believe, but it sounds more like R2D2's answering machine.

You can put in waypoints, but I haven't gotten that fancy. That's what I put the hyperlinks in for, so you can do some research; there are links to good test reviews. But I'm always happy to try and answer things not found on their site.

Biggest downside is not being able to load the map CD into the changer and access data that way, like with an on-board system; instead, you have to download the area you need from your PC, which limits you to the amount of RAM you have. The iPAQ 3765 has 64MB onboard, plus any additional flashcard or PCMCIA memory you can hook up. That's why I like the Navman with its built-in GPS antenna and the expansion RAM slot.

Nothing beats a DVD-based on-board system, but if you balk at the expense and already own a handheld, this is a pretty cool alternative.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Columbus.. i noticed youre in Jersey City too... are you the sportscoupe thats parked in the apartments near Grove street?
My friend is looking to buy a sportscoupe too so this infor was really usefull to him.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:35 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by Silver_Lana
Hey Columbus.. i noticed youre in Jersey City too... are you the sportscoupe thats parked in the apartments near Grove street?
My friend is looking to buy a sportscoupe too so this infor was really usefull to him.
Hehe - which one? There are two of us. I haven't been able to corner the owner for interrogation yet. His/hers is parked right against the fence facing Marin Boulevard; mine is on the opposite side behind the other building - hardly visible from the street.
Oh, and mine's an Evolution (C7), while the other one's got standard wheels, plus oyster leather (must be the C5 package).

There's a black one zippin' around the 'hood, as well. Haven't pulled up next to it at a red light yet. It's a small world after all. You work in the neighborhood?
Old 03-27-2002, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
SO this there something like this for a Palm OS driven device? (As on my beloved Sony Clie?)

TIA

Beth
Old 03-27-2002, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there is something. I saw it in the CompUSA yesterday, but I didn't check it out. The box said it was for Palm Pilots and laptops.

Edit: here are some resources

http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/pilotgps.htm

http://www.navman.com/land/usa/produ...ies/index.html

http://www.navman.com/land/usa/produ...ies/index.html

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/store...dncfhjchhdjh.0

Last edited by Lynn; 03-27-2002 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Lynn,

Thx!

Beth
Old 04-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Almost a Member!

02 CLK 430 -- 2006 S500 --now 2007 CLS550
Columbus, looking for me ?

You guys are probably talking about my Orient Blue CLK430 ... thats me in the factory lot near exchange place. I'm a proud owner of a 2002 CLK430 recently purchased. Did'nt have enough time to mod anything yet, but I managed to get the Blue Door Sill Lights installed. They look very nice.

Now thanks to this post, I'm seriously thinking about an IPAQ with NAV.

Columbus, maybe if you r in the area, you can stop by and show me the IPAQ in action.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

oops

sorry, didn't notice you guys were talking about a sprtscoupe
Old 04-02-2002, 09:06 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: oops

Originally posted by The430man
sorry, didn't notice you guys were talking about a sprtscoupe
Nice car, the CLK - probably my next upgrade. What's Orient Blue like? I'll go check it out in the parking lot.

Happy motoring!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

The color is very unique

Its a very nice color, in the Sun the car looks more on the purple side, at night its closer to black. My car is always parked in old factory lot just past the pershing building (Next left down if you are comming down montgomry)

So, what was the total cost of your IPAQ plust the sleeve and the software ? around $800 ?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:28 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: The color is very unique

Originally posted by The430man
Its a very nice color, in the Sun the car looks more on the purple side, at night its closer to black. My car is always parked in old factory lot just past the pershing building (Next left down if you are comming down montgomry)

So, what was the total cost of your IPAQ plust the sleeve and the software ? around $800 ?
Got the iPAQ for $399 ($449 at www.jandr.com minus Compaq rebate), and the PocketCopilot Navman Edition for $349. You do the math, I had a long day