C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BAS ABS ESP Errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 4 door sedan
BAS ABS ESP Errors

Hello, I am a newbie here. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
My 2001 C320 has me at my wits end. I am continually getting these errors,
when I do it causes my car to stop shifting speedometer stops working etc.
If I pull over and turn off the car restart then it will usually go, it seems to be worse on a hot day or if driving around town doing errands. Lately it seems to be getting much more frequent. I am afraid i am going to get stuck on the highway some day with a huge tow bill. I love my car but it is so expensive to diagnose the many many issues i have had with it. I think i found a fix here for my battery draining issue...going to go cut some wires Wish me luck !!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Check your ABS/ESP computer connector for water damage/corrosion. It is a known issue on the early w203's that water would get into the connector and cause all those errors (my w203 had it happen and required a new computer $250 from a wrecker)
You really need to get the car scanned with a star computer though to actually diagnose the issue though. When my car started to have this issue is when I bought my Star computer and it saved me at least a grand.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Check your ABS/ESP computer connector for water damage/corrosion. It is a known issue on the early w203's that water would get into the connector and cause all those errors (my w203 had it happen and required a new computer $250 from a wrecker)
You really need to get the car scanned with a star computer though to actually diagnose the issue though. When my car started to have this issue is when I bought my Star computer and it saved me at least a grand.
I also read a similar service bulletin that showed a picture of the abs mechanism under the hood and showed a known issue with water corroding the ground wire on the back and causing all these intermittent errors.

before buying anything, remove the grounding wire and clean all terminals with wire wool or similar and electrical contact cleaner.