C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ESP/BAS "Scene" Required?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe
ESP/BAS "Scene" Required?

Well, I had my ESP/BAS problems fixed a couple weeks ago on my 02 c230 coupe. For about 10 days or so all was well, and I didn't see the error messages (whereas before I got them almost daily). Now I'm back to getting getting them (2 in 2 days so far). So I'm tempted to go into see my dealer and make a "scene" . Perhaps rip out the ESP module and throw it on the show room floor in front of "potential" customers (kidding of course , but that would be good for a laugh ).

Last time they did this according to my paper work:

"Check for codes - C1140 C1145 present - Checked for service info" -P-S1-42.45/23 - Replaced the 3 wire ends - and cleaned contact - Cleared codes and rechecked - no more codes"

Labor/Parts:
- Cable
- Connectors
- Oxidation on contact pins at the ESP control module
- Short test, perform

So that fixed it for a while and now I'm back to square one. I'm going to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow, is there anything I can do to "educate" the dealer as to how to fix this? Should they be replacing sensors at this stage? The ESP module?

They played pretty dumb the first time, as if surprised by this rather common problem from what I've been reading on the forums.

Anyhow, ideas? Opinions? "Scene" ideas?

Rich...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:26 PM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
I had this same problem. Just for fun. I wonder if your cruise control also shuts off when engaged for 15 minutes or so. Mine did, and then it wouldn't stay on for longer than a couple of minutes.

Apparently the cruise module was receiving a false signal when the the ESP/ BAS problem occures (either from the ESP module or the brake system) and would disengage the cruise control.

They tried fixing the brake light switch and the travel sensor after that, but neither one of these fixed the problem.

Finally they went in to fix the BAS/ ESP errors, and everything finally works as it was intended to. I haven't had a problem for two months. BTW I went back six times for this fix.

Back to your post. From my printed service record:

"Perform short test - Codes 1140, 1145 in ESP system, Replace wiring Ends and perform checks per bulletin. Clear codes"

Parts

1: 203-540-47-33 (Electric Cab)
3: 001-546-99-41 (Cable Connec)
1: 006-989-84-85-10 (Adhesive Tap)
1: 001-997-83-90 (Clamp)

Good luck. I know it's frustrating.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:35 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Well, I went in again today to continue my quest for a fully functioning/error free ESP/BAS system and here is my experience:

First they tried to convince me that the ESP/BAS errors are "normal" due to the excessive cold spell we are having. However I informed them that it happens randomly (i.e. after 30min of driving) even when the car is fully warmed up, and in warmer weather so that doesn't make much sense. Secondly I explained this is an extrmely common problem among 02 C class owners (even those that do not endure -36F temps), any many have had it fixed for good, so it is indeed fixable. I suggested they phone to some larger american dealers who have fixed this problem for advice, but they didn't seem to like that suggestion.

I further explained how many have had sensors replaced and even the ESP module to fix this problem. They said they have replaced faulty sensors, but said they had never had to replace an ESP module (hmmm ok....fine I might be the first in Winnipeg). So at the end of all this I'm going to have my car brought in on Feb 11th, to have it thoroughly checked out and have the error codes read off using the infamous "stardiagnostic" system so they can deduce what is wrong and order parts for later installation. A shame they couldn't do this today, but oh well.

One thing that seemed kind of odd to me, is they would so resistant to figure out what is wrong (i.e. saying such errors are "normal") since they make money off warranty work. It's like turning away free money, anyhow I digress.

I shall keep you posted on the outcome of this exciting ESP/BAS adventure.

Rich...
Old 01-30-2004, 10:03 PM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
I noticed that you stated that they "have replaced faulty sensors, but said they had never had to replace an ESP module." On your list of what they checked and replaced they don't list replacing a sensor.

When I was having the problem, I researched the forum and deduced that they needed to replace the faulty brake light switch. When I took the car to the dealer in Early October (still 80 degrees in the daytime), they said they had to order the part, 2 visits and 3 weeks later they replaced the "Travel Sensor". I showed them printouts from the forum and got some speech about how mercedes had deleted the brake light switch on the later production runs and the travel sensor was the only thing that could be causing the problem.

This, of course, did not solve the problem. Anyway, I can't believe that they didn't replace your cable. I've read that cleaning the contacts will only solve the problem temporarily. Because the cable isn't long enough, and the new contacts will corrode over time resulting in the problem returning.

Gotta love the dealerships. I also suggested that they call a dealership that has sucessfully fixed the problem. You would have thought that I punched them in the stomach.

BTW, for some reason the error codes are not stored for this problem after you shut off the car. The dealer will not find any error codes unless when you get the error you drive directly to the dealer and don't shut off the car. Don't ask me why. My guess is that the dealer will not find any error codes stored in your car on the 11th. Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Portage and Main, 50 below

With apologies to Randy Bachmann....

My Peugeot 405 despised the cold when I lived in the BC Interior. When it occasionally got down to minus 34, the car's Bosch Motronic system would throw all kinds of error codes at me, and the car would run poorly until warmed up (which did not happen on the descent from Rossland to Trail in the morning...).

Now that I live in Canada's Banana Belt, the ECU is fine and never acts the same way. Some cars are just not designed for cold.

However, I note your comment that not only does this occur in winter, but also in fine weather, so there is something going on.

The dealer's reluctance to investigate the issue may be because M-B Canada is getting heaps of electronica returned to them under warranty and it's starting to hurt.

Too bad for them, stay persistent and it should get better.

By the way, most carmakers selling in the USA and Canada winter test their vehicles in Timmins, Ontario - it makes me wonder if M-B winter tests their cars in Frankfurt

Timmins is a great place to go snooping for new manufacturers' prototypes, in winter only of course.....and maybe Shania would be home too, as a bonus...
Old 02-01-2004, 12:43 PM

2010 ML350 bluetec
RichW, I am 100% sure there is a known fix to the problems for the ESP/BAS warning message.

Just like underwhirled posted, I had the exact same fix made. Plus wording on the work order clearly points to a modification to address this. I am sure his dealer and MB Downtown Toronto didn't just coincidentally fix this with the same identical parts. A TSB must have been issued indicating how to fix this.

I have had my car for 2 weeks now since it was fixed and no more incidents of ESP/BAS errors. Of course 2 weeks is not long enough to really guarantee they have fixed the problem, but so far so good.

The folloiwng is what they did from the worksheet:
---------------->
001-546-99-41 Connectors
203-540-47-33 Cable
006-989-84-85-10 Adhesive tape
001-997-83-90 Cable tie
023753 Cable for ESP Control Unit (after test) replace

HHT tested and checked for codes, Note code C1145 and C1140, checked actual values, electrical tested BAS/ESP system, installed ESP wiring MOD, service info 5911074
<-------------

I guess there are also some other outstanding technical service bulletins outstanding as they also did the following two:
Install front turn signal modification (apparantly to slow down the turn signal flashing)
Installed rear tail light wiring modification (this was something about making a change to prevent the rear lights from burning out...)

Anyhow, all of the above was no charge and I got a beautiful E-class loaner. MB certainly has the crack cocaine marketing model down pat. Lets lend them something really nice to get them addicted and move up the food chain...

Getting the ESP/BAS error certainly was not comforting, but the way it was resolved has me thinking nothing but MBs for me.

Of course this probably doesn't make your ongoing problem any easier, but perhaps it's just that in Winnipeg there are not that many MBs so they don't have as much experience with this less common/obscure errors.

If you need more help I can give you the name of my MB toronto Service advisor.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:47 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Thanks for taking the time to dig up and type up your service records from your MB ESP experiences. They should help a lot if my dealership is still resistant to dealing with this issue. If worst comes to worst I'll take it up with MB Canada.

Doesn't the "cable" on my service record indicate they replaced the ESP module cable? Or is this just some general scrap cable for something else?

Anecdotally, it has warmed up some 15C here in Winnipeg and we are now having balmy temps (comparatively) of around -20C. Since it's warmed up I've had no ESP/BAS errors....2 days and counting. Not sure what this means probably nothing....

I think my game plan for now will be to discuss things with the mechanic directly, as I'm not convinced the "service consultants" are really technically equipped to deal with questions of an admittedly over informed MB owner .

I'll keep at it in hopes of eliminating this problem for the summer, as I've got really nothing else to do during the winter hehehe (to bad for them ).

And the adventure continues....

Rich...