C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Traction Control SUCKS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
Traction Control SUCKS

Is there any way to turn traction control off FOREVER!

I read up on how to do it on the C230K FAQ, but I don't want to have to do that EVERYTIME I start the car.

I find traction control kicks in in the early gears when I shift hard.

It REALLY takes the fun out of driving hard.

Is there a "traction control" fuse I could remove?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

couldn't the dealer do this?
Old 03-24-2002, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
You dealer can do it. My friend had it done.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Traction Control SUCKS

Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
Is there any way to turn traction control off FOREVER!
I find traction control kicks in in the early gears when I shift hard.
It REALLY takes the fun out of driving hard.
Thanks
Formula One drivers use traction control to cut the lowest lap times possible. Some of them complain that TC takes some of the fun out of driving aggressively (as you do), but absolutely none of them would trade it for a lower spot on the starting grid.

I realize this post is not helpful to your specific question. I do not know of a way to deactivate traction control other than the "smokey burnouts" procedure already posted.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:31 PM

M3
Thanks...I'll ask them next time I'm there.

I'll also ask them to turn off the stupid speed sensitive volume control.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:30 PM

I saw this on benzsport.com. Don't know if it really works.

Fully disabling ESP

I don't know if anybody outside of the dealer is aware of this, but the traction control can be completely disabled simply by use of the steering wheel buttons. Here's the low-down-
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask.
Enjoy, and I'm not buying you new tires!

On cars equipped with Command, to enter the diagnostic screen
press and hold the following keys for about 8 seconds: Mute + 1 + 3
Old 03-24-2002, 02:48 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I personally have gotten to enjoy traction control.

But the dash switch does turn it off. What stays turned on is the "Anti-Slip Control" which is how the Benz 'fakes' a rear-differential. With the dyno mode, that is turned off. But what you loose is that now the power is send to the rear power wheel, making it a waste when launching fast (if the power wheel is the one slipping). So you are better off leaving the "anti-slip" control turned on, at least until you install a real rear-differential.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate gadgets that think for you, climate control (what's wrong with the the old fasion on and off, hot cold switches), ABS, traction control, ESP. It's like some of us can't drive so they have to put all these catchall devices in there. What happened to the days of driving a sports car and hanging the rear end out on perfect slide across a street corner? With all the electronic safety devices plus 8 airbags, now you can close your eyes and drive, you are protected. I bet people would drive a lot better and there would be a lot less accidents if they had a spear pointed at your chest instead of an airbag.

Although I do have fun on the few rainy days we get trying to slide the car around the corner and then watch the ESP take over. I think one way that might work is to slide the rear around a corner is to use the clutch to break the rear loose. Downshift into a very low gear and feather the clutch to break the rear tires loose and then use the clutch in our out to steer the rear around the corner. I used to use the break to do this but the C230 doesn't have a hand brake and the ESP/ABS would take over the brakes anyway.