C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

04 W203 A/C Compressor not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230k
04 W203 A/C Compressor not working

2 weeks ago was hearing all sorts of chatter at engine idle only when in gear and at a stop both forward or reverse. Thought it might be my motor mounts. Wife drove the car and when I got in the next day the A/C was off. Turned it on and nothing but warm air. However since then, the car does not rattle anymore, at all, ever. OK, so A/C is not working. Only blowing hot air. Switch light is red when off. When switched on - no light. Checked the low side with A/C on max and pressure was in the red/quite high somewhere around 150psi. Did the reset. It ran through it's cycle and nothing. Evacuated the system and air came out...no refrigerant. Recharged with A/C on max, up to the safe zone on the gauge, ran for 15 minutes+ and nothing. Next day checked the pressure. Was back up to the red zone around 150psi.

Any thoughts or ideas? Is my compressor bad? I've poked around for a post on how to check my compressor, but can't seem to find one. Any other options or possible issues I am not seeing?

Thanks for any ideas or help!

Jeff
Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,021 Likes on 949 Posts
1999 E300TD
The high side should be 255psi---low side should be psi!

First of all you need to do some reading---you don't fill on the low side!!

Second if you compressor is off, it's off for a safety reason and you trying to fill on the low side will do more damage---you need to clear the AC faults and the compressor will turn on.

How do I do that------- find someone with the MB DAS diagnostic system!!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML500
Originally Posted by Plutoe
The high side should be 255psi---low side should be psi!

First of all you need to do some reading---you don't fill on the low side!!

Second if you compressor is off, it's off for a safety reason and you trying to fill on the low side will do more damage---you need to clear the AC faults and the compressor will turn on.

How do I do that------- find someone with the MB DAS diagnostic system!!
I thought you only filled on the low side. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ge-valves.html
Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
ideas, when the pressure is too high the compressor will not turn on. it will think that it has been running and already pressurized the fluid in the condensor and wait for the fluid to go through the expansion valve into the evaporator. because the pressure never drops to the level that tells the compressor to turn on, basically the compressor will not turn on now. it thinks it is already running.

a common condition ac techs complain about is that they see cars come in from people who overfill the system. The pressure is so high in the off state the the compressor simply will not turn on because it detects the system is already pressurized and it waits to cycle on when the pressure gets lower but that doesn't happen.

as the other commenter said, you only fill on the low side also.