C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rattling noise under car '04 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240 '04
Rattling noise under car '04 C240

I'm 99% sure its the catalytic converter, our car in the video and I'm 99% sure I posted in the right section this time.

But when I scanned the car via OBDII I got mad errors, Misfires on C1,2,3, MAF Circuit High Input and another.(Codes below)
P0301 - Misfire Cylinder 1
P0302 - Misfire Cylinder 2
P0303 - Misfire Cylinder 3
P0103 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
C0303 - (No Info)

I wasn't driving the car at the time, I was overseas but when I came back and my brother picked me up I heard it and got suspicious, before I could do any research it dies on him while he's driving to work, had to pick him up in my trusty Volvo(sorry guys).
He said he had trouble accelerating and it died completely when he put it in reverse.

Now I think the broken part in the CC is causing sensors to go off causing a incorrect of airflow through the MAF which is causing cylinder misfires, but I don't know enough to confirm that.

Anyone know what it could be and how much it would cost me? I'm hoping I just gotta replace the Cat.

Also has anyone broken the steering wheel adjustment, I can't seem to lock it now it goes up down and telescopes..

Last edited by benga; 08-09-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM

c240 '04
bump please
Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 PM

2003 C240
Dang, IDK if you don't want to get a new CC just find someone to remove it. it'll be louder but atleast theres no rattle.

Get a metal pole and touch all three CC's while someone revs the car a little. You should feel the vibration through the pole so you know which one it is if that's what it is.

As far as the steering wheel lock you have to push it in then hit it in a little if your is getting weak.

Hoepfully this helps.

Oh, and a messed up CC would not throw MAF codes. If you had trouble accelerating it could be bad or dirty, The throttle could also be dirty.

I'd start with running the car without the MAF if it runs fine then your MAF is either dirty or bad. Get some MAF cleaner and spray it down.

Last edited by C240Keese; 08-11-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 AM

c240 '04
Originally Posted by C240Keese
Dang, IDK if you don't want to get a new CC just find someone to remove it. it'll be louder but atleast theres no rattle.

Get a metal pole and touch all three CC's while someone revs the car a little. You should feel the vibration through the pole so you know which one it is if that's what it is.

As far as the steering wheel lock you have to push it in then hit it in a little if your is getting weak.

Hoepfully this helps.

Oh, and a messed up CC would not throw MAF codes. If you had trouble accelerating it could be bad or dirty, The throttle could also be dirty.

I'd start with running the car without the MAF if it runs fine then your MAF is either dirty or bad. Get some MAF cleaner and spray it down.

Dam not was I was hoping to hear :/
Living in California i gotta pay that extra mula for a cc..
I'll test out that MAF test tho thanks man!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI W203006
A bad CC will ruin your performance and you'll eventually need to replace it.

But I recommend that you also check what caused the bad CC.

A bad MAF sensor will cause a wrong air to fuel ratio witch can ruin your CC and also explain the misfires as the car incorrectly changes the spark timings.

If the MAF as been contaminetaded, check why. Check for oil leakeges on the admission.
If your MAF appears clean, check MAP sensor and if there's any air leak between MAF and charged intake manifold.

You can use an ODB2 for both sensors outputs.

Last edited by bibauporto; 08-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 AM

c240 '04
Originally Posted by bibauporto
A bad CC will ruin your performance and you'll eventually need to replace it.

But I recommend that you also check what caused the bad CC.

A bad MAF sensor will cause a wrong air to fuel ratio witch can ruin your CC and also explain the misfires as the car incorrectly changes the spark timings.

If the MAF as been contaminetaded, check why. Check for oil leakeges on the admission.
If your MAF appears clean, check MAP sensor and if there's any air leak between MAF and charged intake manifold.

You can use an ODB2 for both sensors outputs.
The mechanic pretty much said quote to quote what you just said, they're gonna jack it up and take a look at it. I'm hoping its nothing more than a bad cat.