C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car bra or Plastic - ah the indecision!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Clear Bras

I guess one of the benefits of having a bunch of cars is trying out different accessories to see what works.

I have had several car bras - dating back from 1982 on my Saab Turbo to my 99 Audi A6 - and let me say that the black Colgan type or other black bras are a pain in the *** and will eventually scratch your paint.

I put Stongard on my TT - body and light kit - and after 25k miles - still no chips - can't say that about my other cars with traditional bras.

As to looks, the light kit is great. As for the body kit, if the installer puts it on correctly and there are no gaps between the bra and the body - especially on the edges - it looks fine. Also, I believe there is some UV protection so don't worry about fading. On the edges, you may need to spray with a detailing spray to get the wax off the edges.

But if the installer does a poor job and leaves gaps between the film and the body - you will get some yellowing - that's why there is a warranty if you go to an authorized installer.

Even if you only get part of the kit - as in the hood, mirrors and fenders, it would not be a huge investment and would still be better than that traditional ugly bra - Do you notice the clear bra? Only if you are a few feet away.

Verdict if properly done and you are keeping the car, it is well worth the investment.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:13 PM

BTW,

C230Komp,

I'll be the one in Dallas with the Red C230, Charcoal Interior, C7, C5 and the Clear Bra. I'll let you compare sometime if you'd like.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Steinschlagschützhulle

The black bra is quite OK, just the ticket for gravel roads or the run up to Big White, Lake Louise or Whistler in the ski season.

I am not convinced by the stongard clear appliqué on the paint - I've closely inspected a few cars with it. Most of these have problems: small bits of dirt near the edges, tears and many with paint chips from rock impacts. It is evidently too thin to offer real protection from gravel. On the other hand, a bra will do this VERY well. I have used a bra occasionally on my 405 and it works really well at protecting the car from quite large rock fragments due to the thickness.

Just don't keep it on very much (trips only) - certainly do not leave it on in the rain - and keep it clean (wash the felt side in a bathtub!). What was the cost?
Old 05-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Re: Steinschlagschützhulle

Originally posted by Mike T.
The black bra is quite OK, just the ticket for gravel roads or the run up to Big White, Lake Louise or Whistler in the ski season.

I am not convinced by the stongard clear appliqué on the paint - I've closely inspected a few cars with it. Most of these have problems: small bits of dirt near the edges, tears and many with paint chips from rock impacts. It is evidently too thin to offer real protection from gravel. On the other hand, a bra will do this VERY well. I have used a bra occasionally on my 405 and it works really well at protecting the car from quite large rock fragments due to the thickness.

Just don't keep it on very much (trips only) - certainly do not leave it on in the rain - and keep it clean (wash the felt side in a bathtub!). What was the cost?
What was the cost? Other than the complete surrender of the dignity of the car?!?

If you see dirt under a clearbra, or tears, there was a really bad installer involved.

If you see cars that have had rocks penetrate the clearbra and chip the paint . . . well that car must be hitting some MAJOR LEAGUE gravel on the road. I'd imagine that the unprotected parts of the car, and the windshield, must have been totally trashed. B/c it would take a TREMENDOUS amount of size and force to penetrate a clearbra and chip the paint. The 3M material is plenty thick, and quite tough. I'm not saying it can't be penetrated, just that it would take some really, really extreme conditions. Much more than 99.9% of drivers subject a normal street car to. (100mph logging roads, anyone?)
Old 05-20-2002, 11:19 PM

Yes, well nothing can provide protection like a bunch of material and the traditional bra can protect from chips if you put the whole thing on.

But the question is, who does? Only the most **** rententive types will be consistent enought to put the whole thing on and off when needed.

And the damn thing will usually flap up and down scratching the car's surface and adds weight to the car. And if it rains going down the hiway, better take it off.

I would only say that the clear bra is the most consistent answer but in rough dry terrain where you have huge pieces of gravel, I could see the benefit of a part time traditional bra when going in those areas.

But in Dallas, we don't have no beeeuutiful mountains or rough terrain, just rough construction, and a clearbra works well and looks a helluva lot better than that fugly black thing
Old 05-21-2002, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Re: Steinschlagschützhulle

Originally posted by SoCal240/6
If you see cars that have had rocks penetrate the clearbra and chip the paint . . . well that car must be hitting some MAJOR LEAGUE gravel on the road
Welcome to Canada.

Maybe where you live you get upset when a mosquito impacts the paint on your M-B.

Up here in the Great White North, in winter, especially near ski areas, very large gravel is sprayed all over the road "for traction" (actually I think it's to keep glass companies in business). This is crushed gravel folks, sharp as an arrowhead. It will turn paint-type stongard into shredded Saran Wrap in no time. I've seen it, so let's leave it at that. It also chews the PVC protectant off body panels like nobody's business. Sort of like sandblasting with small, sharp cobbles.

So if you drive in this stuff because you're Canadian, you have choices:
- move to a wimpy climate (no poofters)
- give up skiing (yeah, right)
- drive a beater in winter (maybe)
- let your car's nose look like it's been blasted at 100 feet by birdshot (very ugly, and permanent)
- use a black vinyl bra (ugly, but temporary).

By the way, mudflaps are also advisable in such conditions, not to mention steelies (no hubcaps) with 4 very high quality snow tires.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:25 AM

Mike T,

The cost was $98.00 (I think it was $89.00 plus shipping).

Duffer,
I agree that the bra is not the ultimate answer, and my real purpose was to have protection on a long road trip. It doesn't flap, and I don't (won't) leave it on all the time and certainly not in the rain. The car absolutely looks better w/no bra. Although I have seen bad looking clear bras due, I suppose, to poor installation, I just have a hard time making myself stick something on my car that could result in two-tone faded paint in this Dallas sun. Maybe it won't, but it just seems like it would. Guess that's why they sell both kinds.....
Old 05-21-2002, 09:13 AM

SLC 43, E53
Originally posted by C230Komp
Thanks! I think it looks pretty good too. My wife doesn't dig it too much, but she doesn't have to clean the bugs off of the paint! Yeah, I like the red. It's pretty bright, and I've had at least one red car at a time for the last 21 years.

Post a pic of your silver Coupe w/the bra. Bet it looks great!

I will post pic as soon as i get the Bra, I also have the mud flaps installed and i must say they look ok....
Old 05-21-2002, 10:26 AM

C230Komp

Hey,

I am checking out a new installer for Clearbra in the Dallas area. He is about $200 including materials and does the basics - hood, front, mirrors, front fenders. $200 is a heckuva lot better than $800 - even though the higher price is worth protecting the paint.

For the everyday driving we do here, it works most of the time. For those long trips to foreign territory, I can see where you might want some heavier protection.

I guess the gist of all this discussion is the heavier the rocks and gravel, the more material you need.

If you want more info, email me.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:52 PM

2002 C230K
Invinca-Shield Being Installed right now

I am having Invinca-Shield installed this afternoon. It was 1/2 the prince of StonGard and the quality seems good. I am having it installed on my 2 week old Black c230 that already has one stone chip.

Will post picks later today or this week.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:37 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Re: Invinca-Shield Being Installed right now

Originally posted by WebGuyNJ
I am having Invinca-Shield installed this afternoon. It was 1/2 the prince of StonGard and the quality seems good. I am having it installed on my 2 week old Black c230 that already has one stone chip.

Will post picks later today or this week.
Are you installing it yourself or are you having it done professionally? Is 5 years a good warranty for that type of product?
Old 05-21-2002, 04:08 PM

Apples to Apples

Invinca-shield is certainly a good product but when you say 1/2 the price, you need to compare apples to apples at look at the entire kit - sometimes you get a bit more with the Stongard than other kits. Also, in my experience with my TT, Stongard is cut differently - it is more of a one piece section on the front than several pieces.

It's the same material but the product varies a bit.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:34 PM

2002 C230K
Actually, the Invinca-Shield kit for the 230 will cover more of the fron end including the A pillars. Yes, it is cut in more pieces. That was my main concern until I saw it on two other black cars a Corvette and a X type. Invinca-Shield $260, StonGard $500 plus installation.

But I'll keep everyone informed about my satisfaction.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:48 PM

C320
I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, but, I know which bra looks better to me! :p
Old 05-21-2002, 04:49 PM

Hi WebGuyNJ

I have heard good things about invinca shield. Congrats. Surprised me since Stongard usually has the more complete kit.

But look at the Stongard light kit - about $60. I did the Stongard light kit and I have someone putting the 3M product on the hood, around the lights, right behind the lights, the side mirrors, the radiator grill strips and door cup for $195. The entire front bumper and grill will cost an extra $400 with installation. So the entire car would be $595 with the entire front end covered.

Also, I have been looking for you since you have the Euro mirrors on order.

Where can I get some European blind spot side view mirror glass?

I was quoted $256 for driver side and $66 for passenger.

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:59 PM

2002 C230K
It should only be that much if you have self dimming. I don't believe that the c230K has self dimming driver side mirror. I am still waiting for mine. A friend is supposed to bring them back from their trip to spain.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:03 PM

I thought the brochure said it did - auto dimming on driver's side. SInce I am taking delivery tonight, I will find out.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 AM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
Hey web guy, any pictures of clear bra on black, I am thinking of doing the same thing
Old 01-09-2003, 11:44 AM

2002 C230K
I've got the clear bar on Silver.

The darker the color, the less you can see it. Looks like crap on white/pearl colors, not bad on my silver and damn near invisible on my black.

(Just got a new 2003 C240 Sport Wagon 4 Matic in Black with the clear bra)
Old 01-09-2003, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Only women should wear bra's.. Well... sometimes that is..
Old 01-09-2003, 11:48 AM

ML 320 CDI
I find all these bra horrible, I have never seen something like that in europe, it must be a typical US habits.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:56 AM

you can buy loose sheets from xpel.com for less than $70and

DIY...it's really not that difficult. Most installers rip you off. I did myself and it looks fine...the black bra is really ugly imo. also, it will not discolor like some people think. you can see a clear line across the hood but it's harly noticeable unless you are looking for it. most people don't even know i have a clear bra on the hood/bumper.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:58 AM

sorry...made error in post

oops...meant to respond to the thread below...sorry
Old 01-09-2003, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I wish I would have had a clear bra on my car. That paint chips if you look at it you know. I must have 15-20 small stone chips on the front bumper of my car. You cant see them unless you really look, but it bothers me. I'll have it repainted sometime next year and have a clear bra put on the bumper, front quarter panels, and the entire hood.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Originally posted by Paul Le Corre
it must be a typical US habits.
Yes... you are correct...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car bra or Plastic - ah the indecision!