C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Loss of Power & Locating the Air Intake Bypass Valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport Coupe
Loss of Power & Locating the Air Intake Bypass Valve

Hey Guys & Gals:

My car has experienced a sudden loss of power much like X15JQ did back in May. I suspect it is the bypass valve that he described in this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39637&highlight=power+l oss

My problem is that though I've worked on plenty of cars I've owned before, I've not tinkered with my C230 myself until now. Any recommendations on taking apart the air assembly?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know because that link doesn't work but I've had a problem where it appeared as if I was getting any boost. I put a scanner on it and the only odd thing was that even at full throttle acceleration it only showed about 50% load (should be 80-100%) and that's probably why the ECU didn't trigger the bypass valve to close and allow boost. Took it to the dealer and it was a bad spark plug wire. Not the tradiontal distributor to plug wire but the wire harness leading to the coil pack above the plug. It didn't run rough or make any unusual noises, just slow, slower than my 4 cyl S-10 pickup truck if that's possible. Another forum member on the mbklasse.com forum just resetted his connector after I posted this and he said that fixed it for him.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that happened to me bc i took out the wire while the car was running liek an idiot.

I replied to ur email, not sure if u got it

With the car off remove the airbox and push the bypass valve open from close to open. THen turn the car on and try to move it. It should bounce back to its position electronically. That i guess recalibrated it or something because it fixed it for me, u can try removing teh connector with the car OFF or else it is screwed up again.