C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240 4Matic Wagon
Stranded in Ithaca NY... Work in progress

Hey Icebreaker, that is a very good point. I never have, and I'm not sure if/when it was changed. I picked up the vehicle with 75k and now it has 125k. Regardless it is time. I ordered one with the pump. Got the parts now and will repost after the job(s) are done.

Last edited by zpbarnett; 01-06-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 E 350
That could be the reason why the pump went out too if the filter was dirty and the pump had to work hard to push the fuel through a dirty filter. But then again the pump goes out about this mileage anyways. Have a good trip back home once you've got the pump changed!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 PM

2003 C240 4Matic Wagon
Stranded in Ithaca NY... resolution

So We managed to get everything fixed in Ithaca NY and made the drive safely back to Nashville. I apologize for the write-up delay!

That was the one of the easiest jobs I've done on this car. Less than 30mins start to finish with cleanup. For anyone interested I've provided a few notes on my experience below:

Got an OEM Bosch pump ($250) and filter ($50) from local retailer (Autopart International) in Ithaca NY. That is high for these parts but they got them to me in 12hrs. Considering I was stranded I was happy to pay it.

The tools I used for this job were follows:

- hammer/mallet
- big flat head screwdriver
- small flat head screwdriver
- 8mm wrench
- bucket

This is the same process already documented in this thread with a little extra detail. I did this job with a full tank of gas, making sure to limit fumes and eliminate all possible ignition sources.

1. Lift up back seat cushion and remove liner.
2. Remove right side circular panel to expose fuel pump (8mm wrench)
3. Cleand around tank lid to prevent rubish falling in once opened.
4. Place large flat head screw driver tip on the ring/collar ridges and beat with hammer counter-clockwise until retaining ring can be unscrewed by hand, set aside.
5. The fuel pump cap is spring loaded. Noted orientation and jiggle/lift up to remove. The tank is now open and pump exposed. If at any point you need to walk away slide the cap back on to limit fumes.
6. Gently lift out the large rubber seal around the gas tank lip to prevent its damage and give you more room to work.
7. Reach in and disconnect the black power coupling. Look for the retaining clip trigger. Squeeze this hard while jiggling/pulling off. Let it fall back into the tank.
8. Note the orange circular retension collar on the high pressue line (top of pump). It has two teeth. Reach in the tank with one hand and firmly push the collar off while gently prising the two retaining teeth one at a time. Firm pressure will keep the first clip from re-clipping while doing the second.
9. Lift the pump out of the tank and pour out the gas inside into the bucket
10. Unclip the secondary line on the bottom of the pump. Place old pump in bucket.
11. Install everything in reverse order making sure each connection firmly "clicks" back in place. The high pressure line WILL blow off if not properly seated.

I believe in a pinch someone could do this job roadside if they could find a pump.

Thank you Icebreaker, and thank you MBWorld.org community. You saved our bacon!!!
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump?-img_1588.jpg  

Last edited by zpbarnett; 01-06-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM

2003 C240 4Matic Wagon
Avoid fuel pump failure. Change fuel filter regularly.

Icebreaker,

I believe there is great truth in what you advised about the fuel filter contributing to fuel pump failure. While I did not get the filter on in Ithaca NY I did replace it once home in Nashville thanks to this excellent write-up by mtnman82:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...placement.html

When the job was finished I drained the gas from the old pump for disposal. I was absolutely floored by the garbage flowing out. I could not comprehend how any fuel could get through that filter. I wish I would have taken a picture of what was in the bucket and posted it here as a cautionary tale to other users. My guess is 850 miles of constant driving on that ancient fuel filter killed an already aged pump, and stranded us in Ithaca NY.

If anyone out there is unsure about when their last fuel filter was installed or if they should replace it, just do it. A new filter and four new hose clamps can be obtained cheaply. Trust me, a roadside break down is no fun!

Keep'em rolling,
zpbarnett
Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 E 350
Happy New Year and thanks for the follow up ZP, I'm glad you got home OK. Next time you need some parts try http://www.bigredautoparts.com, that was where I got my fuel pump for 100 bucks or so and it's an OEM pump (URO). I think they have warehouses all over and could ship overnight if needed. Sorry I did't mention the place before, I didn't think you had to spend that much for the pump.
If you have a C240 you must have a V-6, I heard there have been issues with a plastic rod inside the intake plenum that controls short and long runners. You might want to read up about that. It'll throw a P0171 code intermittently, the darn thing is $1100.
Anyways I'm glad your 850 mile trip back was uneventful....