C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004.5 C230K Sedan or 2004 Acura TL Automatic-Help Me Choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
one word...i would never ever buy a front wheel drive car! with that ..IMHO don't get the Acura...but i'm not necessary saying get the benz...i would get something rear wheel drive
Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K
I Just went to the acura dealership last weekend, didn't like the tl, its too big and boxy, i would rather take the tsx any day of over the tl, howver i did drive the tsx 6-spd, i liked it alot, but from what i remmeber about driving the 2004.5 c230k 2 months ago(and it was an auto) the benz felt more solid, more responive, etc. i really likd driving the benz. I know the tests say the tsx is faster, but i drove the auto and it still felt more powerful then the stick tsx. Anyways, there is something about german cars, my dad has had porsches for the past 15 years, and all german cars, including audi and even vw just have that feeling that the japs dont get. just my two cents........
Old 02-12-2004, 03:12 PM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
Originally posted by rogers
At least with the TL you can kick some *** and still look good.
Look good? I think the new TL looks like a Pontiac with all the plastic, especially the front end with the big "ACURA" imprint in the bumper. This is total cheese if you ask me.

Not everyone buys a car based on HP figures or who you can beat at a stop light. The C230 even though it is MB's cheapest car, it has way more class and soul than anything Acura offers.

When I say "soul" I don't who is faster in a race. You just don't understand.

Now the thing I give to Acura/Honda is that their cars will be alot more problem free than anything the Germans can build and will probably last a lot longer, and cheaper to maintain.

It's a matter of opinion, and Jap cars aren't for me.

Last edited by HiTEC; 02-12-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful is in the eyes of the beholder so I won't question your opinion on looks. The simple fact is that the Acura tl is a better car all around. Better engine/better Nav/Bluetooth/More space/Better service/Cost lesser to maintain/Better Fuel-Economy. Why in the hell should he pick the C230 over the new TL? This guy already has 2 MB so the name is out the window. What plastic? I suggest you take a look at the interior of the new TL. The fit/finish is excellent for a 33K car. The C230 is more comparable to the tsx, the TL little brother.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl

Last edited by rogers; 02-12-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:54 PM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
The outside of the TL looks like it's cladded with plastic pieces (especially the front end).

I'm not knocking the car at all, and I agree that the C230 is in the same class with the TSX. Price wise it's not.

It's my wifes car, she doesn't like any of Acura's cars and wanted the C230 because she likes the looks. She whatever she wanted. I happen to agree with her, and none of Acura's current cars really excite me, but I know that my opinion.

If this thread started is looking at these cars then it's up to him, you can't force him either way. I was just posting my OPINION of Acura, and you posted yours. I assume you own a TL, that's why you are so passionate about it. If so, it's a hell of a nice car, no doubt about it!
Old 02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Thanks for all the well thought out replies. The reason I posted this question is that I love the vaultlike feel of the Mercedes and so do my wife and kids. We're a car crazy family. My wife can't wait for the 2006 Vette Z06 to arrive because that means she gets the E55 and my daughter gets whatever car I purchase now.

I can't help but admire what $31,000 will buy you in an Acura, and that's why I am drawn to it. It has much more rear space (about as much as my W211 does), and is very reliable. As far as dealerships are considered, The Acura and MB dealers I deal with are great in selling but suck for service. In that dept, it's a wash.

I am just afraid we'll get tired of the Acura. Then again, when the next C model is introduced in 2006 or 2007, The W203 will be less desirable too.

Can you guys tell I'm going around in circles trying to decide and your comments, although very insightful, are split about 50/50. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I'd get the new TL if they have discount on the car because I think that car is overpriced at $35k price tag. The car itself is sweet tho.

If the car eventually will be your daughter's I'd say the wait for the facelifted C230k or even the C320. It's a younger looking car for the younger generation.

Now all you need is give me your E55 and I'll give you my C32.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
35K is a lot to pay for a tarted up Accord. Still has styling by Sears. And is still got that F***ing front wheel drive. Read any reviews of this car? Its torque steer city! Worse than the new Maxima.

C230K!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Non nav TL is going for under $31000!!! Nav models are only being discounted $1000 on average. MSRP Nav $35195, non-nav $33195.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K
the dealer told me that NONE of their cars are being dicounted, but maybe i got a dick dealer!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Why TL?

Have you owned any Japanese car in the past? I have impression that they are aging very fast. TL looks like G35 year ago, too much noise and completely forgotten now. I would consider another European makes which a bit less expensive including Scandinavian and Britain.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:02 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Re: Why TL?

Originally posted by Dema
Have you owned any Japanese car in the past? I have impression that they are aging very fast. TL looks like G35 year ago, too much noise and completely forgotten now. I would consider another European makes which a bit less expensive including Scandinavian and Britain.
says who? I think you got the G35 confused with the Lincoln LS, the Ford T-Bird, and the Chrysler 300-what?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Dr Chill,,,if you have narrowed it down to just the c230 and acura tl w/o nav, i would without a doubt go with the acura,,, i always go with the newest design possible and since the new tl has more space, so many cool features and so much power, it wins in my book. the c is kind of outdated now, and will be even more outdated after the facelift and eventually the new body style coming out in ('06??) so anyway, good luck it is a tough choice. try parking the two next each other if you get a chance (I know that helps me when I do a side by side comparison) and ask your wife and daughter to look at them too to help make the decision

:p
Old 02-13-2004, 01:51 PM

SL500
Dr. Chill, I can't tell you what to buy, but I can tell you my experiences. My parents owned an Acura Vigor, Infiniti M30 & Lexus GS & ES. The Acura, while very nice, got old very quickly. After 2 years it was time for a new car. The same could be said for the other 2 as well (lexus & Infiniti). They are all very nice cars but after a few years it's time to move on.

My brother has owned 2 Lexus ES300's and has told me they were "falling apart" by the time it was time to turn them in (3 yr leases).

Many will flame me for this but Japanese cars lose their tightness after a couple of years. People will post they have had their cars for 10 years with 200,000 miles and they're as good as new, and maybe they are, but from my personal experience they just don't last.

My dad was driving a E320 and it was time for him to turn it in, instead, to my surprise, he released it for another year. He told me the car has held up so well that there was no reason not to and that it's not like his Japanese cars, it still had a very solid feel.

I'm not saying MB's are perfect, far from it, and yes the quality of the C is questionable but you have to ask yourself 2-3-4 years from now will you really want that TL? If you do go with the TL, or the C for that matter, consider leasing for a couple of years and then paying off the balance at the end if you really want the car. All cars in this class have a tendency to get very old and outdated very quickly.

Last edited by MBZman; 02-13-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:07 AM

Well, guess it's time for me to chip in my 2 cents.....

I currently own a 2002 TL Type S(we just call it, TLS) and a 1992 W140 S-Class.... And have driven the new TL as well.....

1. New TL is actually smaller than out-going model.... And Torque Steer is much less than TLS... However, it's there.... Especially at wide throttle on uneven road.

2. I tend to agree, Japanese cars age fast...... Having own mine since April 11th, 2001.... It just doesn't give that "solid" feel..... Not that it's not solid, but relatively speaking, the aging effect is just that much apparent than my W140....

3. Great value... No question about that... TL is probably the best bang-for-the-buck, side by side with Infinit G35.... However, if you are consider TL, why not G35?? They are priced closely yet G35 has RWD. However, be warned though, G35's manual mode for its auto tranny SUX.....

4. IMHO, the fit/finish on the new TL isn't as good as out-going model. They might look better, but once you sit inside and look closely outside, you will find abnormally large gap between doors/dash, as well as bumper edges not flush with side body panels......

If you plans to keep the car for a LONG time(long being more than 5 years), go with MB.... If you change cars in less than 5 years, go with TL..... Just trade it in before warranty runs out....