C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

can the light sensor be removed from windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
can the light sensor be removed from windshield?

if so, how? my reasoning is for my aftermarket hid. the daytime running lights here in canada will flicker or not work at all. if I can somehow make the sensor think it is always dark out then the lights will stay at full power and always work.

thinking 3 ways,

1) remove sensor and shield from light then replace

2) jumper the wires. assuming this is just a photo diode

3) pay actual money and have dealer reprogram, no thanks, or buy some kind of kit that 'may' work.

thank you
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by wvadam
if so, how? my reasoning is for my aftermarket hid. the daytime running lights here in canada will flicker or not work at all. if I can somehow make the sensor think it is always dark out then the lights will stay at full power and always work.

thinking 3 ways,

1) remove sensor and shield from light then replace

2) jumper the wires. assuming this is just a photo diode

3) pay actual money and have dealer reprogram, no thanks, or buy some kind of kit that 'may' work.

thank you
The same things happened to me when I had a HID kit installed on my car. The easiest way to do this is to never keep your lights on "Auto" mode but just have your headlight switch set to "off" at all times. When you need to turn on your headlights switch to "on". I stopped using "auto" for years when I had the HID's. I upgraded to Bi-xenons now and do not have to worry.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 C230K SS
DRL (headlight) is not affected by the light sensor. If it's set to on through the MFD, it will bypass the light sensor and turn on in full power regardless of ambient light. The light sensor will then turn on the city lights, tail lights and cluster/dash when it gets dark.
At least that's my understanding of it.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 COUPE 2003 M271
Originally Posted by RWDlifer
DRL (headlight) is not affected by the light sensor. If it's set to on through the MFD, it will bypass the light sensor and turn on in full power regardless of ambient light. The light sensor will then turn on the city lights, tail lights and cluster/dash when it gets dark.
At least that's my understanding of it.
In Canada DRL are mandatory as a minimum for headlights and cannot be turned off by the driver. If the option to do so does exist, it does not exist here. I have never seen any option in the MFD for full strength headlights on at all times but I can have another look.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 C230K SS
I understand that up in Canadia the cars are set to run with the lights on. Down here in Murica it's an option to have the lights operate on constant (DRL) or manually via the light switch. The constant option bypasses the light sensor and provides low beam at full power. The dash, cluster and tail lights are off until the light sensor kicks them on in low light.
Back to your original question...since your car is programmed to run with lights on all the time, I don't think the light sensor has anything to do with it, because it's the same as DRL mode for us here. You may have a ballast/bulb issue. Is it both sides flickering?
Some fyi...
Attached Thumbnails can the light sensor be removed from windshield?-untitled.png