C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How to take out the 'slop'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
How to take out the 'slop'

Now that I have my sprint booster, k&n air filter, and Ecu tuned my car is very quick and nimble.

But as I accelerate quickly there is 'slop' in the suspension (i.e., slop as in the chassis is not tightly planted and moves on hard acceleration or braking). Don't think anything is wrong just that may need to tighten up suspension.

I didn't quite realize this until I drove the c55 today with tighter suspension.,

What do you all recommend? Would coilovers or sway bars tighten it up? Do people benefit from coilovers if they do not lower the car?

Would you all please educate on suspension basics please.. I know there is lots on this forum I just don't know where to start thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Now that I have my sprint booster, k&n air filter, and Ecu tuned my car is very quick and nimble.

But as I accelerate quickly there is 'slop' in the suspension (i.e., slop as in the chassis is not tightly planted and moves on hard acceleration or braking). Don't think anything is wrong just that may need to tighten up suspension.

I didn't quite realize this until I drove the c55 today with tighter suspension.,

What do you all recommend? Would coilovers or sway bars tighten it up? Do people benefit from coilovers if they do not lower the car?

Would you all please educate on suspension basics please.. I know there is lots on this forum I just don't know where to start thanks!
Bump
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
you answered your own question.. the c55 has a stiffer suspension thus it did not have the slop.

you have a w203 with how many miles? likely due for new suspension, something many people overlook once the car is up in miles...

problem with lowering and stiffening the ride is yes it is stiff and gets rid of body roll and slop, sportier "feel" - but then you've turned your baby benz's ride into a stiff bumpy mess unless you calibrate the suspension correctly which ends up equaling the car's value in suspension parts.... the extra 10hp you've given yourself from those mods likely do not require an entire suspension overhaul because of some slop.

look into OEM replacement, bilstein adjustable, or a decent set of coil overs.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
[QUOTE=LexBrett2;6692221]
But as I accelerate quickly there is 'slop' in the suspension (i.e., slop as in the chassis is not tightly planted and moves on hard acceleration or braking). Don't think anything is wrong just that may need to tighten up suspension. QUOTE]

WE SAW THE NEED AND MANUFACTURE REPLACEMENTS FOR THE ‘4’ MAIN FRONT SUSPENSION BUSHINGS.

DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT TO STEERING AND BRAKING RESPONSE.

K-MAC has been manufacturing aftermarket upgraded suspension bushings now for over 50 years.

For W203 we have deleted the oil filled, air voided OEM bushings and specially designed with both twice the load bearing area and importantly with the 2 axis movement still being retained (many aftermarket brands merely delete the air voids – but this can prevent suspension arms travelling through their required arcs causing binding, locking up).

Bonus also is these ‘4’ K-MAC bushings also provide for the first time ongoing CAMBER and CASTER adjustment capability! The patented design provides precise single wrench adjustment on car, accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

Resolving costly, premature inner edge tire wear, steering pull. The result of altering height, fitting wide profile tires, worn bushings, load carrying or curb knock damage!

You can purchase offset fluted bolts but these are inaccurate ‘one only position’ and provide only .3 of one degree (1/8 of an inch) – while the K-MAC bushings provide 4 times this adjustment range.

For the rear similar bushings – Precise Camber and additional Toe (to compensate for the Camber facility). Includes bush extraction tool so Camber bushes can be fitted on vehicle.

NOTE: Also for the rear (Street/Race) we manufacture the entire ‘12’ link arm bushes. Accurately locating rear suspension against unwanted flex to get power/traction to the ground and tauter handling response/rear end stability.

Background is there are also available unforgiving short life delrin type bushings that soon pound out. K-MAC incorporates all the proven features needed for extended bush life – maximum diameter, but lightweight alloy casings with bonded elastomer bushings to contain side loads and large load bearing nickel chromed steel inners – what you would expect from a company with over 50 years in bush design technology.

K-MAC front kit #502216K $480

Rear kit ’04-’07 (51mm diameter bushes) #501926J $380
’00-’04 (33mm diameter bushes) #502026H $320

’00-’07 (12 rear link bushings) #501528K $480

Delivery price for MB World members USA/Canada is $30 one kit or $40 front and rear.

Payment can be made by PayPal, Visa, or MasterCard.

See link for latest 2016 catalog http://K-mac.com/mercedes/
Attached Images