C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

switching from manual to automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
I completely respect chronopassion's driving preference for auto transmission. If CP want an auto, well that is what CP is stuck with.

Last edited by pixmation; 03-29-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:33 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by Cullen
I'm one of the listed people who 'complained' about the manual tranny before (klunky). My only complaint is that going from 1 to 2 isnt a very smooth path. Everything else is great. I learned to drive manual on a Miata, and I prefer this. I would still take the manual over the auto, even if they were the same price.
I had that problem too when I first got the car. It's no longer a problem. Likely a combination of the tranny "loosening up", and me learning how to work that sucker. The 6-speed with the C7 package is sweet. Works great for me. The only way I'd want auto is if I commuted through a lot of stop-n-go traffic. The manual is the essence of happy motoring. I'm sorry if some of you have (or had) bad experiences. I guess I'm just a lucky s.o.b.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:39 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
My C7 tranny shifting feels good from day one. The clutch engagement point was a little soon and sensitive in the beginning, but now it's all fine and smooth after 2500 miles.

Although I did not drive non c7 and c7 manual back to back. I test drove a non c7 and bought one with c7 a week later. I did notice the C7 has a different feel right away.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:40 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by Cullen
I'm one of the listed people who 'complained' about the manual tranny before (klunky). My only complaint is that going from 1 to 2 isnt a very smooth path. Everything else is great. I learned to drive manual on a Miata, and I prefer this. I would still take the manual over the auto, even if they were the same price.
I had that problem too when I first got the car. It's no longer a problem. Likely a combination of the tranny "loosening up", and me learning how to work that sucker. The 6-speed with the C7 package is sweet. Works great for me. The only way I'd want auto is if I commuted through a lot of stop-n-go traffic. The manual is the essence of happy motoring. I'm sorry if some of you have (or had) bad experiences. I guess I'm just a lucky s.o.b.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:07 PM

pixmation,

Yup, that is what I am "stuck" with. Hey, we all make our choices in what we want in our car. I just find the obnoxious manual drive members of this site so comical that it is almost unbelievable. Some of you really do act like it is the Emperor's New Clothes. "Absolutely, positively, if the car did not come in manual, I would have never bought it". If that is the case then you are clearly making a very narrow decision. You might as well have purchased a Geo Metro. No, I honestly believe that the manual elite on this board are overexaggerating things a little. I am sure you prefer manual (I doubt it was the extra $1300 that kept you from purchasing auto). But I do get sick and tired of people acting like manual is the only iteration that the C230K could be considered acceptable. Look around this forum and you can read a core group of people that basically run that party line whenever they get the chance. Give me a break.

Anyway, I was, of course, being a little tongue/cheek in some of my posts. In fact, I was simply using terms such as "of course" or "stuck with" which are what the manny-maniacs use in denegrating the automatic purchasers. Whatever.

Not worth getting in a fuss. It is rather funny, though. It is essentially the same as people saying one color is better than another. "My Orion Blue is the only color that the car looks good in". "If I could not get black cloth, I would have bought another car". Pleeeeeaaaaase.

Best regards,

CP
Old 03-29-2002, 04:21 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Personally I don't like the delay of the gear change in the auto. That's why I have been driving manual all these years.

Of course I don't have to stuck in rush traffic with my commute so that make the decision a lot easier.

If MB had offer the Sequential transmission (although I haven'r driven one, don't know if it's as good as I thought it will be), probably that will be best of both worlds.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
manual

i unfortinitly have an auto but i have heard complaints with the maunual but i remember in the magazine sport compact car they tested a manual c230 coupe without the C7 package and they said that the manual was a damm good transmition. And that comming from people that basicly drive hondas so i guess the manuals arent bad to them. i have drivin a maunal c230k to bad i did not have 1 but i think it was fine i did not see anything wrong with it. But i guess all of u talking about how much u love manuals and that thats all you would drive would not be able to get anyother mercedes besides the c230k, c240, and SLK230. I guess i will never see any of u drivin SL500's or CL600's. And i guess no AMG modles for all of u eaither.

Last edited by BlackC230Coupe; 03-29-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:34 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
can always drive M3 M5 M coupe M roadster and Z8.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: switching from manual to automatic transmission

Originally posted by BigB333
Is it possible to take your car back to Mercedes and pay them the 1300 dollars or whatever it costs to get automatic, and have them replace your manual transmission?
thats funny that u want to switch a manual to an auto. i have an auto and would like to have it switched to a manual. hey maybe if u get a manual we can switch tranny's. lol.