C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Electrical Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C240 6MT
Electrical Woes

Sup guys. I got a 2002 C240 6MT with some gremlins and I would love some advice.

The main problem is the parasitic draw. The car will die after about 8-12 hours of sitting, and has been doing so for months.

There is a draw of 3.5-2.5 amps when the car is sleeping. I've pulled fuses from all three fuse boxes but wasn't able to locate the specific problem area.
I noticed when pulling fuses 40 and 44 (Tele-Aid/E-Call) the amperage would fluctuate, but never go below 2.5 amps. I don't think this is the issue but who knows...

The other night when I was pulling fuses, I removed the dome light and checked the wires connected to it. I removed it completely and set it aside.
My plan was to leave it disconnected and see if my battery would die over night but as the amperage never dropped when I disconnected the fuses, I thought it was a moot idea (after the fact, of course lol).
Now I have a Light Sensor Error and my fogs and DRLs dont work. gg to me

But whatever, main issue is still the draw.

Its not the seat modules as I disconnected them both completely and the battery would still die. This is the first thing I did.

I'm going to do the test again tomorrow, maybe I missed something.

I also noticed today when looking at the engine bay fuse box that some wires on the harness look like they've been spliced into or repaired.

Here is a picture:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...q.jpg~original

Is this normal?
The wires are crimped so maybe there is some corrosion build up or the connection became loose.
The wires I saw that were spliced are as follows (there might be more):
Green
Brown/White *
Brown/Grey *
Red/Yellow

* These wires were spliced into each other.

If anyone has any input or advice at all it would be much appreciated.
I'm trying to do as much as I can before I pay someone to let it "bake".

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:47 PM

W203 C240 6MT
Also, I found this in the dash
Might be helpful for someone in a similar position.

Electrical Woes-bbbbbb_zpszggp6822.jpg
Old 11-06-2016, 01:07 AM

W203 C240 6MT
Turned out to be the alternator.

Replaced it with a used Bosch reman I got on ebay and the draw is gone.
The following users liked this post:
mailshack (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor, 2003 C230 Kompressor, 1997 Jaguar Vanden Plas
Joe, thanks for updating with what you found. I've been trying to isolate a parasitic draw with no luck for a while. The alternator never occurred to me. I do plan on checking it out now! How did you come across it as the culprit?
Thanks again!
Bob
Old 11-06-2016, 02:26 AM

W203 C240 6MT
Originally Posted by mailshack
Joe, thanks for updating with what you found. I've been trying to isolate a parasitic draw with no luck for a while. The alternator never occurred to me. I do plan on checking it out now! How did you come across it as the culprit?
Thanks again!
Bob
It was a strange series of events. I went on vacation for two weeks and my car sat with the draw. When I got back I got all kinds of errors on the dash about "voltage consumer something or other" which I found out was related to the alternator. I never got this error before I let the car sit.

Sure enough after the wait, the alternator wouldn't charge a battery (died a few times while I was driving).

I took a shot in the dark and bought the used alternator off eBay for $90 and after I replace it, the issue went away. I haven't measured the exact amperage when the car is in sleep mode since I replaced the alternator, but the battery has been connected about a month now and I haven't had an issue (I was disconnecting the battery when it sat).

I assume it was the voltage regulator. Car has 120k mi on it, they usually go around that time.

Good luck. Its quite an annoying problem.
If you have any other questions let me know.