C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Price Check: 2004 C230 (plugs,coils,breather hose, boot)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes C230 Sedan Sport
Price Check: 2004 C230 (plugs,coils,breather hose, boot)

Hello,

Was wondering if it is Ok to ask about recent service to my MB 2004 C230 sedan sport.
I bought the car about 4 years ago from my ex-wife who typically ensured good maintenance on the car. I used to own a 2003 C230 coupe so I was familiar with the car and related issues.

Well, I have been bad and did not upkeep the maintenance. Only doing the oil changes and hoping to trade it in the next 6 months. As luck would have it, I went to work last week and my car started to run rough at stop lights and even conking out. (the stress level in driving heavy-stop traffic was a nightmare; one foot on brake while I kept it revved up a little to keep it running).

Upon first inspection under the hood; I noticed the PCV crankcase breather hose (hose that pops out on right side (looking in) of the engine cover) had a crack in it and was very spongy. I got a quote for $200 flat (cash) to replace (1 hour of work); another shop around $238. But, the shop I went with before they worked on it said there is another breather hose (5 inches long about $8 part) that will probably need to be replaced as well and will do a smoke test..it takes 3-5 hours to replace apparently. The other shop I went to asked what hose I needed and said something similar. So I understood the other hose is going to be costly to replace. I asked to just replace the one that is visible with the leak for various reasons.

The PCV hose that I replaced did not fix the problem. Well, duh.. The computer said I was misfiring on all cylinders. The smoke test they said the small hose had a leak too. Dang. They said they would fix the other hose, replace the plugs and coils for $800. I was forced to invest. The car runs better than before the stalling.

They ended up throwing in an air filter (beyond filthy) and found a crack in some boot hose ($12 part - short wide silver looking hose and hard to get too also). So with that said, did I get a great or bad deal at $1000 total?? Owner said it was $1500 worth of work. He had no customers really when this all happened as it is his slow season he said. But it gave me pause. Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
You got a good deal!!