C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230K or Audi A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K or Audi A4 1.8T

Did anyone on this forum who purchased a C230K consider the Audi A4 1.8T What was the reason you chose the Mercedes over the Audi. Was it performance, reliability, value, resale value, or exclusivity. Thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Audi's and definitely would have purchased the A4 had it been available but the '02 C-Coupe came out months before the '02 Audi. Now that I have my coupe and modified it and had fun with it I have no regrets. Specially with the proximity of the dealership, their excellent service, MB loaners and free car washes. My only regret is that I can use a 4 door now and that the Audi has much better resale value than the MB.

I would just list the advantages/disadvantages of both and weigh what's important and make your decision. I think both will be unreliable compared to American or Japanese cars and Audi is on par with MB in various dependability survey but everyone knows you don't buy these cars because they are dependable. Look at how long the warranty and free service is, does your local dealer provide nice loaners, do they have a huge backlog or do they service drop-ins, do they have other ammenities like free car washes, donuts, coffee. Check out resale value in kbb.com or edmunds.com. To me that's important because if you see another car you like better you'll need high resale to help with the switch.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i was looking at audi when i wanna buy my car too..but when i went to the dealership..they gave me crap....
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 PM

C230K
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I think both will be unreliable compared to American or Japanese cars and Audi is on par with MB in various dependability survey but everyone knows you don't buy these cars because they are dependable.
ummmm. Surely they're more reliable than American cars, and isn't the audi more expensive than the c230k coupe though? I think i got the c230k over anything else because I believe I got a good price relative to the invoice.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by dead_eye
ummmm. Surely they're more reliable than American cars, and isn't the audi more expensive than the c230k coupe though? I think i got the c230k over anything else because I believe I got a good price relative to the invoice.
You must be kidding right, a Geman car more reliable than a Chevy? Ha. There was only one American brand that had a worse showing than MB and Audi in the JD Powers long term dependablity survey and that's Jeep. I've had 4 MB's now, one worse than the other. My worst Ford or Chevy is a lot more dependable than my best MB.

As for prices, I think when you consider what the Audi comes standard with CD player the prices are close. Compare it to the C230 sedan and the A4 is cheaper. Yes, MB did have some great incentives a few months ago but that's gone the last time I checked about 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Yep, Audi 1.8T CVT was 2nd choice in my overall pick (also considered 325i but the dealer sucked, go figure). Kinda cool how you step on the gas and the engine just hovers around 3k while the car picks up speed up to 100km/h...

The C230K coupe won in the end because of several reasons. The coupe was cheaper than the A4 (though the sedan costs more), the engine is more powerful, has more torque, gets better mileage, the 0-100 time is lower...everyone here has an A4 or BMW. The panorama roof is very sweet, and the car also looks very sexy. Supercharger whine kicks too

Oh yeah, the yellow instrument lights on the M-B beat the gross red ones in the Audi any day.

I ultimately chose the coupe because of the price, and used the savings on options (M-B options are expensive though, $900Cdn for a 6-CD changer!?). If I had to pick a sedan, the A4 would be seriously considered.

Buellwinkle's right. American cars do last the longest (except for Chryslers, thank goodness they got bought out). Especially the full-size ones from the 70s/80s, those things last forever on minimal maintenance, and those steel bumpers pretty much prevented any damage in collisions (sister drove into a cement wall going 10km/h, no damage ) Can't say I've had any problems with my C230K yet though (other than a cracked cup holder button).
Old 03-16-2004, 08:57 AM

2003 C230
I considered it instead of the C230K Sedan

Audi wins in interior hands down, no contest. It also wins in Engine power since you can chip for 225hp easily. Where the audi loses is exterior. C230 is beautiful the audi is plain. From my subjective test drive, the Audi felt sportier but the C230 felt like a "bigger" car. Still, the Audi, loaded with more options than the C230 (including quattro) will come out $1K less than the C230K Sedan. My wife already owns an A4 2.8q and it has been a very nice experience for her over the last 5 years.

CZ
Old 03-16-2004, 02:36 PM
gab

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I like Audi's and definitely would have purchased the A4 had it been available but the '02 C-Coupe came out months before the '02 Audi. Now that I have my coupe and modified it and had fun with it I have no regrets. Specially with the proximity of the dealership, their excellent service, MB loaners and free car washes. My only regret is that I can use a 4 door now and that the Audi has much better resale value than the MB.

I would just list the advantages/disadvantages of both and weigh what's important and make your decision. I think both will be unreliable compared to American or Japanese cars and Audi is on par with MB in various dependability survey but everyone knows you don't buy these cars because they are dependable. Look at how long the warranty and free service is, does your local dealer provide nice loaners, do they have a huge backlog or do they service drop-ins, do they have other ammenities like free car washes, donuts, coffee. Check out resale value in kbb.com or edmunds.com. To me that's important because if you see another car you like better you'll need high resale to help with the switch.
sorry cannot resist
how come you didnt mention MB Dealership offer free coffee and muffins?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by gab
sorry cannot resist
how come you didnt mention MB Dealership offer free coffee and muffins?
I did, re-read it, I said to ask if "they have other ammenities like free car washes, donuts, coffee. ". How can I leave that out, that's my #1 reason for owning the C230, otherwise I would have either gotten the WRX or waited for the Jag X or Audi A4, both which were not out yet when I got the coupe.

Audi may build a dealership on the previous grounds of the MB dealer in my area. If they do that I may switch to an Audi. Currently the nearest dealer is 17 miles away and no loaners, just rentals which is not the same as you have to get picked up by the rental car company, sign rental agreements and get shuttled back when you return it, a waste of an hour that I don't have, not for Audi/MB reliability. If the new Audi dealership competes 1 on 1 with the MB dealer and provides the same ammenities I'll get it, otherwise what's the point of getting a premium car, might as well go back to Fords. BTW, I tell my MB dealer that my Chevy truck is my MB parts chaser vehicle for when it breaks down, they should include it with every sale.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:40 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I considered both cars. Basically, it came down to the fact that I could afford the coupe with all the options I wanted whereas I could get the Audi with only some of the options I wanted.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 PM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
C230K is only 1.8lt Kompressor just like the Audi but one would think that it's a 2.3lt Kompressor as the badge indicates, looks like all they've done is turn the boost up on all the C180K and name it differently for the power output and charge the extra money that goes with the badge.

BTW, its built in South Africa, hence maybe that's why the resale value is not as good.

Cheers,
Ho
Old 03-16-2004, 10:43 PM

2008 Rav4, 1997 Lexus ES300
I actually appreciate this thread especially since i have pondered the Audi as my wife's next vehicle. The problem is is that i know absolutely nothing about Audi. I have asked myself questions like how does Audi's quality compare to MB's? Performance? Driveability? Gas mileage? Location? Price? If i were to have a prob, how will they compare to MB in resolving it? Tons of other questions. Just haven't actively seeked the answers yet.

If money was no option and you could have either the MB or Audi (C-class/A4) which would you choose and why? Looking for strong selling points considering my MB salesman called me today asking me if i was ready to buy again. He knows i'm kinda in the market to buy. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 PM

beep
I dunno, at the moment I have a audi, and I am looking into a benz. Im happy, but I guess i get tired quick.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Money being no object is not a issue as the A4 is halfway in between price of the MB C230 coupe and sedan, the difference is minor, probably a few percent. If you want a sedan then go drive both. From a realiability point of view they are equal from the studies/surveys I've seen and my viewpoint from friends Audi's and MBs. Take the two out for a spirited drive on backroads and highway and see which one feels comfortable to you. Also check out the dealers, some are better than others and with a German car you have to really like your dealer because you may end up spending time there. Also consider resale value, it appears that Audi has the advantage there.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Guest0001

I Drove the audi 3.0 when i was shopping for my car a year ago. Nice interior, good balance between luxury and sport. I couldnt really find fualt in the car except for the lack of brand cachet compared to M-B and BMW. If thats not important to you then go for it.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
well i owned a 99.5/00 a4 1.8t tip and i loved the car. I screwed up on the susp mod and some experimental/one-off parts so it cost me a lot of $$$$ and i ended up selling it. Again I loved the car and the audi dealership in Houston was/is much nicer than the MB dealerships here. I still love my coupe (2.3L) and my bro just bought an 04 1.8t CVT (once over 1k mi break-in its very nice, impressive power for 170hp). Here's a few comparison points in my opinion

c230k coupe: MB name, ext and int up to individual taste, more factory power, cheaper than a4 1.8t sedan

a4 1.8t: more factory std equip, excellent interior, surprisingly shorter leg room than c230k coupe (I'm 5'4/5" and my knees hit the front seat and this is in both 2000 and 2004), tons of aftrmkt parts avail.

Good luck with your pick, both great cars.

Last edited by tberry; 03-17-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:46 PM

'96 VW Jetta
A4 is Awesome!!!

I like most others considered all of the main German cars (Audi, BMW, MB, and VW) before I purchased my new A4 1.8T Quattro. My wife currently owns a 2000 VW Passat GLX. I had actually ordered an MB C230K Sport Sedan. About a week before my car was to arrive my brother in law took me to the Audi dealership for a test drive.

I like both cars. I do like the way the Quattro drives better than the MB but it is very close.

The main reason for the purchase of the A4 over the MB was the front seats. My wife couldn't get comfortable in the MB seats and she could in the A4 seats. (They are very much like her Passat seats)

Also the MB was almost $6,000 more than the A4.

Both dealerships are far from my house but both were very nice both with the salesmen and the service department. My Audi dealer offers various snacks and drinks like my MB dealer.

I recently took my A4 in to get satellite radio installed and I received an A6 loaner and my car was washed and vacuumed when I picked it up.

I would suggest driving them both on the same day. Whichever one you like driving more should be the one you purchase. If you have back problems like my wife be aware that the MB doesn't have adjustable lumbar support like the Audi.

Either way you will be happy with your car!

Last edited by OneOldKid; 03-19-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:47 AM

'03 MINI Cooper S
Audi or MB

You could just purchase my 02 C230k for $17k....

Orion Blue, C2, C7, Bose, Audio 10, 24.7K miles
28 months left on factory warranty
New Kuhmo Ecstas

I know, this is not the for sale forum......

Ann
Old 05-26-2004, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I hope I can add some insight here as my wife and I own both a C240 Classic and Audi A4 Avant 1.8T with Quattro and sport package. Both have 5 speed automatic transmissions.

Fact: A comparably equipped A4 1.8T is cheaper than a C240 or C230 sedan.

My subjective impressions:
The C240 is much smoother and quieter than the A4 1.8T on the road, especially on the highway. The Benz is more comfortable for the passengers, but that could be because of the very stiff sport suspension on the Audi. Even the non-sport suspension of the current A4 is equivalent to the previous generation's sport suspension.

The A4 1.8T is faster than the C240 from an acceleration point of view when starting from a stoplight, and the 1.8T revs much faster and is subjectively more fun to drive. The Audi sport suspension is very stiff and it drives like a go-kart around corners. The C230 sedan with sport suspension may be comparable, but I don't know that for a fact. The C230 sedan would have more power than the Audi, so it probably comes out on top (slightly).

The Audi interior is superior to the pre-2005 C-class interior in terms of appearance and build quality. In fact, the 2005 C-class guages remind me of the A4.

There's more usable rear leg room in the Benz. The front and rear seats are more comfortable in the Benz.

Bottom line: the Audi is subjectively more fun to drive, while the Benz offers superior quietness/refinement/luxury feeling for passengers. With either a stock A4 1.8 T or C230 sedan, you're not going to blow away too many cars.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 05-26-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:22 PM

'05 C320 Sport Sedan, mars red, charcoal interior
i actually own an A4 1.8T CVT, and i really enjoy it...i think interior is definitely better than the MB (brother has a C320 sport sedan)...however, i think the MB is a better built car - i would choose the 1.8T A4 over a C230 coupe, but i would take the C230 sedan over the 1.8T A4 - any other info, go to audiworld.com
Old 05-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
i think interior is definitely better than the MB
The Audi interior is superior to the pre-2005 C-class interior in terms of appearance and build quality.
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder But, the audi interior still looks like a Jetta to me.

:) Jkw
Old 05-26-2004, 09:50 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally posted by kaiju
C230K is only 1.8lt Kompressor just like the Audi but one would think that it's a 2.3lt Kompressor as the badge indicates, looks like all they've done is turn the boost up on all the C180K and name it differently for the power output and charge the extra money that goes with the badge.

BTW, its built in South Africa, hence maybe that's why the resale value is not as good.

Cheers,
Ho
There are quite a few internal differences between the C180K and the C230K, not just a boost increase...
Different bore & stroke,
Different compression ratios,
Larger intercooler? I'm not sure, but it would make sense if they increased the boost.
Some other forms of engine strengthening would probably have been performed to cope with the power increase.

And I believe South Africa only makes RHD C-Class sedans, all LHD C-Classes and RHD C-Class wagons and coupes are made in Germany.

As for the question of A4 vs C230K, IMO the A4's Quattro and CVT are the only things that would make it a better buy compared to the C230.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally posted by Jkw
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder But, the audi interior still looks like a Jetta to me.

Jkw
You're right. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Have you actually compared the Golf/Jetta interior side to side with the Audi A4 interior? My brother in-law has the current generation Golf, and I've previously owned a GTi. The A4 centre stack and controls for climate control and stereo are COMPLETELY different. Even the gauges are different colour and laid out in a different design. Aluminum trim or wood trim is not present at all in the Golf. The whole centre stack is angled towards the driver in the Golf, which isn't the case in the A4. The only thing that is pretty similar is the chrome automatic transmission casing and stalk.

Sorry, I just don't see much Golf/Jetta when I sit in my A4. If anything, it looks too similar to other Audi's, like the current A6 and All Road.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C230 for US market is definitely not made anywhere but Germany. Either Bremen or Sindelfingen. Bremen makes sedans and wagons and sifi makes sedans and coupes. There were some sedans (mostly 240s) produced in south america for US but this is no longer the case with the facelift.

The A4 is a nice car. With the facelift of the 203 however, the MB wins on both looks (Sport Sedans) and engine power. Now if they would ever get the new engines in the 203, it would be just right.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Have you actually compared the Golf/Jetta interior side to side with the Audi A4 interior?
My wife just turned in her '01 Jetta so I know what that looks like & a month ago my friend took me for a ride in his new A4, that was when I was struck with how similar the two cars really are.

But just to be sure I checked out the Audi web site, I agree with you that the Center Stack and the Gages are different, But everything else is the same. Face it the A4 is a dresses up Volkswagen!
Jkw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C230K or Audi A4 1.8T