C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C55 AMG (radiator replacement/ Trans line question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
2005 C55 AMG (radiator replacement/ Trans line question)

Was hoping someone could help out.

2005 C55 amg.. replaced the radiator due to coolant leak and everything was great for a nice drive.
Then...

All of a sudden. Transmission fluid started pouring out the bottom of the radiator/transmission line connection on bottom.

Do these lines have a bolt that screws on or do they simply just connect via quick connect?

I do not remember unscrewing anything from line (line just pulls out) but after replacement of new radiator the leak is definitely coming from here as the cover is soaked, fluid all overy the place and some nasty smoke came pour when it hit the hot exhaust. What a mess

Unfortunately there is no dipstick so not exactly sure how much came out but I have a feeling it was at minimum 1 to 2 quarts!

I was able to resecure the line by snapping it into place but need to know if pressure is all that holds it in. As one stomp on the gas at a stop light seemed to start the mess after driving the car just fine for an hour or so in traffic.

Thank you in advance
Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 PM

C55 AMG
Just a random picture during radiator replacement. Leak is on fan side this picture does not show the leak.

Random pic during a radiator replacement. Leak is on the inside fan side and not in the picture.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
There is supposed to be a metal c-clip that secures the line in, see red arrow:

(pic from pelicanparts com)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 PM

C55 AMG
Thank you.
It popped back on and the transmission leak stopped.

Now to the next issue. The dreaded coolant workshop light came on. I posted elsewhere..... but will post below in case anyone can chime in

<>_>_>_>_>_<_>_<_>_>_<_>_
Hello.

Have a 2005 C55 and the dreaded coolant workshop message has displayed.
What's going on:
-fan does not turn on when above temperature
-starting to reach upwards of 100c. I don't let it get any hotter as I shut car off if gets warm.
-fan does not turn on when a/c or front defrost is switched on.
-discounted the coolant sensor (by thermostat) as a test and the fan did not turn on.
-heater does work as well as a/c blows cold aso long as temperature doesn't get to high.
-turning on heater will keep Temps down but it does still like to climb.
-engine heats up as expected, somewhat fast maybe?

Where should I go now?

History:
Replaced radiator because it was leaking on drivers side bottom. Coolant changed and topped off etc. (Did this repair myself)
-during the radiator install one of the transmission lines did not set to well and popped out and transmission fluid line leaked at connection to radiator. FIXED by snapping it in correctly with clip etc. Did have to add some fluid as "enough!" Leaked.
-no leaks anymore from coolant or transmission.

I've read all over here that many are finding fan assembly to be okay but a loose wire or relay is issue.
Other say fan assembly replaced works..

Questions:
1) which fuses or better (locations) should I check. I looked at obvious #51 and it's ok. As for relays not sure which ones to ticker with and location of them?

2) Can I use alligator clips to connect to fan assembly and power to battery to see if works, or is that a bad idea?

3) Should I just replace the fan? If so I noticed to different fan models. 800 watt and 650 watt (around there can remember exactly #'s but I know there is 2 selections for the C55 when searching?

4) Could the connector bemail bad due to fluid leak and transmission fluid leak on the splash gaurd. I know the plug is in the corner so not sure if that would do it? I also had to use some water down there to clean up the mess?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:56 PM

C55 AMG
If anyone here is in the Los Angeles area and has access to star or scanner to reset codes for an SOS error I would be very very happy to meet you