C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

These threads are making me paranoid...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
lest we forget...

"All I wanna do is to thank you,
even though I don't know who you are,
you let me change lanes,
while I was driving in my car.
Who - whoever you are, I wanna thank you
ooooo - whoever you are, I wanna thank you"
(the Geggy Tah song played in the original C Coupe commercial)

"This is the best damned car I've ever owned" - me, November 1, 2001
Old 04-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by avlis

I found this is true for ANY message board. I've browsed many auto, stock, and consumer electronics forums and found that most activity is negative. I think the reason is that people have no reason to seek answers (unless they are enthusiasts) if they have no problems. Satisfied customers don't speak as loudly as dissatisfied customers.

The thing to remember is that even though there seem to be a lot of people complaining, the memebers here represent an extrememly small percentage of the buying public. You can easily count the number of members complaining here and compare that with the number of cars sold to check me on that. Remember too that a lot of these posts are repeats of ealier posts by the same members.
An excellent summary Avlis! Well said. I couldn't agree with you more. We hardly hear from the satisfied "silent majority."

Also, keep in mind that the people on this board are active early adopters, who often are the first on their block to buy a new model car. As such, this group will naturally be the sounding board for the inevitable teething problems any new car has in its first year of production.

I waited to buy my 2001 sedan until the second half of the model year, not because I'm smart, but because I don't trust any brand, MB included, to have the bugs worked out with a new model. I was an early adopter of the first gen. Honda Accord, and I can tell you it was NO PICNIC. So, QC problems are just part of the game with any new model. A quick tour of the Honda, Hynudai and Toyota forums will reveal just as many "complainers" as you see here.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
A quick tour of the Honda, Hynudai and Toyota forums will reveal just as many "complainers" as you see here.
I'm glad you mentioned that and it bears repeating- so I quoted you.

Then, it all comes down to perception.

Example:
Stranger asks coupe owner "A" how he likes his new car.
Owner replys "I love it. It's only $30k and the only problem I had was a hairline crack on the steering wheel button".

Stranger asks coupe owner "B" how he likes his new car.
Owner replys "It's a poor quality piece of @#$%!. I paid $30k for a @#$% car that has cracks all over the @#$% steering wheel!".

Oh- and don't forget about what I call "The Madcloyd Factor". Anyone who browses the Edmunds forum will know what I'm refering to here. The Madcloyd Factor refers to the fact that there are a number of people that will fabricate well writen (at least to the casual observer) horror storys about their ownership experience and post them on popular message boards in an attempt to discourage future buyers from choosing a particular make or model. In other words: Don't believe everything you read.

Last edited by avlis; 04-02-2002 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:21 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Re: Fuse

Originally posted by shen_q
The fuse on my 2002 C230 Coupe was BLOWN from FIRST day when I bought it. I had to take it back in to get that replaced. Other than that I havent had any problems in about 5 months.
What exactly does "THE FUSE" operate? and if it's a fuse why bother to go the dealer to have it changed?
Old 04-02-2002, 11:57 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I've had zero problems so far and from what I've read on the boards, there hasn't been any problems reported in any yields that raises any real concerns for me. ALL cars have issues. So far most of what you see here is minor. Even the real big stuff isn't that big or frequent. I do think the car is being held to a higher standard, so you see people people commenting on that, but that's ok. Car is still better designed and engineered than just about anything else out there, at almost any price.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:02 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Rick well said. I have got 4000 miles and the car has been perfect, no problems, except I wish I could drive it more. The quality is still first rate.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:46 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Originally posted by petercrase
... the seats rails catch on the carpet mats, (see grease marks appear on your mats and seat gets hard to pull forward), the smart key won't open the windows unless I'm standing right next to the car (new keys didn't help), ...
Mine rails catch the carpet as well in the beginning, after carefully push and flatten the carpet right near the edge of the rail, now the carpet doesn't get caught anymore. (maybe your problem is different than mine). Opening and closing windows/roof is through the infrared, so you need to stand near the door and point the smartkey to the door handle for it to work.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:01 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Cars are like software, version 1.0 will always has bugs to be iron out.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:13 PM

C230K
I think that one of the reasons there appears to be a surfeit of "complainers" on the board is that a lot of them get here for the same reason that I did: I had a pretty serious problem with the car, and wanted to do some research to see if anyone else had similar problems, and we all know what Google can do....

THere are also a lot of enthusiasts which make it great.

WyattEarp is cynical, but he is a C++ programmer, and that's enough to make anyone lose their religion.... As a C++programmer myself, my advice is don't take him too seriously. And don't get caught up in vitriol and obviously provocative threads.

Cheers

Raymond
Old 04-02-2002, 06:33 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by raymond
I think that one of the reasons there appears to be a surfeit of "complainers" on the board is that a lot of them get here for the same reason that I did: I had a pretty serious problem with the car, and wanted to do some research to see if anyone else had similar problems, and we all know what Google can do....

THere are also a lot of enthusiasts which make it great.

WyattEarp is cynical, but he is a C++ programmer, and that's enough to make anyone lose their religion.... As a C++programmer myself, my advice is don't take him too seriously. And don't get caught up in vitriol and obviously provocative threads.

Cheers

Raymond
How dare you suggest that I not be taken seriously .
Well said my bit shifting friend. I lost my religion a long time ago.
You asked earlier what field of endeavor I am programming in it is financial engineering.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:44 PM

C230K
Wyatt

What is financial engineering, or are you euphemising "stock manipulation"?
Old 04-02-2002, 08:42 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: come on act your age

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

please dont even start this i have friends with civis si's and rsx's and i have been on those boards before and those little teenage wannabe gangta **** try to correct evey little thing u say wrong. i am sorry i will admit i have alot of typos and i dont care its probably because i am not a MBworld Fanatic!! with 1271 fu*ke* posts so i will see i will never win this fight. so please act your age i hate when people correct my spelling especially if its not important and u still know what i said or meant to say.

well have a good day
Dude - relax! He was just pulling your whiskers (note the smiley with the tongue stuck out - ouch, did I spell that right?).

No problom, man...

Just wanted to tell you I haven't had any problems, I enjoy my car very much, and I go with the fella who says in his signature "if you want toyota quality, buy a toyota" - although that's one of the main reasons people bought Benzes back in my home country (which happens to be the Benz's home country) for ages - the legendary Mercedes-Benz quality. So I am appalled at all those reports of quality lapses. Still, if I'm going to buy a more reliable Honda, Nissan, or Toyota, they'll first have to build one that's as classy, exciting, and satisfying as the C-class Coupe (which I'm speaking for). The IS300, for instance, ticked me off with its cramped interior, inability to expand the cargo area via flip-down seatbacks, cheap trunk hinges that intrude into the cargo space, and a cheap rod to prop up that two-ton hood. The ricer taillights and goofy swatch tach didn't help, either, but that's a matter of preference. I guess many bought the IS300 'cause they disliked the Scirocco/CRX-like viewing slot under the spoiler of the C-coupe...
RSX is a totally different animal. If that's your type, go for it. I wouldn't turn it down if it was handed to me, but I only need (and can afford - barely) one car, so I chose the Mercedes. Haven't regretted it yet. Good luck with whatever choice you make. And lighten up about the teasing on this board - it's not personal. Just business.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:44 PM

Well, I took off to play a little golf this afternoon, and the dealer left me a voice mail. Said my coupe will be on the truck tomorrow (from Jacksonville to DFW), so maybe I'll ahev it by this weekend. I hope so anyway. Hopefully I'll get to start having fun like the rest of you guys! First thing I'm gonna do is check the fuel gauge and the steering wheel buttons! Well, maybe I'll open the sunroof first.......
Old 04-02-2002, 10:10 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by C230Komp
Well, I took off to play a little golf this afternoon, and the dealer left me a voice mail. Said my coupe will be on the truck tomorrow (from Jacksonville to DFW), so maybe I'll ahev it by this weekend. I hope so anyway. Hopefully I'll get to start having fun like the rest of you guys! First thing I'm gonna do is check the fuel gauge and the steering wheel buttons! Well, maybe I'll open the sunroof first.......
It's a newer run, so I'm sure they fixed everything and it will be perfect. Though be prepared for painful face muscles after smiling for prolonged periods.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I could post a list of all the known problems and tech bulletins on the 203 C-class, but not only do I not have that much time, I also don't want to bring all you happy owners down! So just enjoy.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by raymond
Wyatt

What is financial engineering, or are you euphemising "stock manipulation"?
Financial engiiiiineeeeringg is an actual discipline. There exists a certain set of equations (Black-Scholes) that based on probability distributions, the Central Limit Theorem and a couple other variables(volatility, drift) approximate the price of a security and or an option. Let's say you're a gambler, under any given set of bets if you are to break even the cost of the bet must be equal to the pay off. Simple right, I won't do the odds example right now, but suffice it to say that buying stocks and options in a combination is a bet. You are betting that the cost of the option will be less than the overall price of the stock minus the strike price for which you made the deal. So how do you determine what the strike price should be for a fair set of bets, and how do you know when to buy/sell if the current price is above/below the current strike price. Do you own an American or European Option. Is it a call or a put. It's actually all in the math. This of course is far more complex for entities which hold thousands of equities and or options whom are attempting to balance their portfolios. That my friend is financial engineering the short course.

PS given the sensitive, non cynical souls on the forum perhaps you should pm me with off-topic questions. It's getting tougher and tougher to keep the lynch mob at bay.

Last edited by WyattEarp; 04-03-2002 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wyatt Earp, the mob has delegated me to ask if you prfer a new rope or a used one.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Lynn
Wyatt Earp, the mob has delegated me to ask if you prfer a new rope or a used one.
New rope, velvet lining to prevent chaffing please.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:57 AM

White C230 Coupe, Leather, Evolution, Panorama, Heated seats, Bose, Factory Alarm
Love my C230...
Like more and more as I own it longer. Would like a bit more power.. so I might drive it to Vancouver this summer and get the Kleeman Pulley.

Guess what..... last week, I convinced my friend to Buy a new Acura RSX - Premium Edition... only because He cannot afford the C230, Wrx, or IS300.

I love the SOLID feel of the Benz vs other cars (like the WRX, RSX, etc) and the ESP is awesome for the Canadian winters (the next best thing compared to AWD)

The only problem that I might have on my car is that the AUTODIMMING driver side mirror doesn't seem to be working. I will get that checked when I get my oil changed this month. Otherwise, this is one SWEET ride.

My next car:
Either the BMW Z5 or C230 AMG if availble here.
Old 04-06-2002, 01:36 AM

99A4
late for work