C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

suspension help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 05:38 PM

2001 Mercedes C320 Sedan / 1999 Mercedes CLK320 Coupe
suspension help needed

so Ive searched the forums and haven't found the answer I need.
I have read a ton of info on Bilstein struts and what not with lowering spring or H&R springs ect but my search has left me dumbfounded. I have an 2001 C320 Sport Sedan. I figured since I was lowering my car with the Vogtland Lowering springs it didn't matter to have sport strut or base strut. I was told only difference was the "stiffness" for the sport sedan strut. So I bought Bilstein OEM C320 struts but not for the sport sedan just base. Question is , is this going to cause me any problems in my car with the Vogtland springs and or install ??

thanks in advance guys...
Old 09-11-2016 | 12:48 PM

2005 C230K Sport Coupe
What are the spring rates for the original and the replacement springs?

If the spring rates are higher, as they should be for lowering springs, then you'll want firmer shocks/struts.
The less firm struts would still "work", but the control and the ride would be compromised. With constant aggressive driving, the less firm struts would be more likely to have the fluid heat up - leading to having even less dampening. Also, over time, the less firm struts would wear out quicker.

Fwiw, a proper lowering spring will also increase the spring rate.
But, many people care more about looks and/or "modification bragging rights". So, many companies sell lowering springs with the same spring rate as the original. Hey, the people are going to buy those springs from somebody! :-)

If the company won't tell you the original and the new springs rates, then RUN! Sorry, I do not care who they are or what BS events or races they won. Many companies sell good stuff and junk. Companies make a lot of money selling ricer junk.

Them: "Hey, use this oil in your car, don't worry what the specs are."
Me: Sorry, sell your snake oil crud to someone else!

If people are happy with using snake oil, then why not sell snake oil? Someone is going to sell snake oil to that person.

Fwiw, there are a few companies that refuse to sell snake oil or ricer junk. They are far and few in between. But, they do exists.

PS. Note, I did not say anything in the above about if the lowering springs actually increase handling performance or not. That's another very involved topic. Companies are more than happy to lie to people to say that just lowering the car will result in an increase in handling performance. The suspension/car-height are one small factor in the overall suspension design and how it performs for comfort, handling, etc.

Last edited by RedGray; 09-11-2016 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rukkus (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 02:54 PM

2001 Mercedes C320 Sedan / 1999 Mercedes CLK320 Coupe
thank you RedGray , Im not going to be driving aggressively with this so its more so for looks. I guess Im going to have to try these out and see what stance it gives me.. pics to follow later this week with new rims. Thanks again RedGray, very informative