C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Teleaid feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teleaid feature

Hi, I got my C230 August 2001, since there weren't many that time there were only few with options I wanted, Panoramic roof, Auto (Yes some people like it), Leather (but none came with Orion Blue)....

I found one at Penske, Orion Blue, Panoramic roof, rain sensor, auto...no leather (sob sob), and teleaid.

I asked the salesman if I could take the teleaid optioin out since it adds a couple of hundreds, he said no since it was already there.

My question is (sorry for the long intro).... By having the teleaid feature in my C230 is there an extra component or part which is added? I haven't seen one without and don't know what difference it has physically (buttonwise...)

Thanks.... and enjoy your Benz, coz I enjoy mine
Old 04-03-2002, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

correct me if i'm wrong but teleaid is standard on the MB's.. i didn't think that you had to pay for it... i know thaty ou have to pay for the service after the first year but i'm pretty sure that it's not an option you can choose not to get... atleast for the sedans..
Old 04-03-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
Teleaid is an option

It's a $750 extra for this option, and you have to pay the service annually. The physically difference is that teleaid has a mini antenna on the roof.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:26 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
teleaid is not standard in the c230 coupe... its like 700 bucks to add it.

it was included in the roll out alotment of vehicles free though.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh my bad.. i think teleaid was standard on the sedans.. and i'm pretty sure on the SLK that my friend just got..

is this only for the coupe that it's not standard? or did i pay for it and not even know it....
Old 04-04-2002, 12:05 AM

when you say standard you make it sound like its free "standard" means pre integrated into the price.

teleaid is pretty worthless, i admit it was a silly addition to my coupe, but it added more buttons which was an important concern. I have yet to use it since my original setup. although diane, the women i spoke to sounded pleasant, answered my call quickly, and was very knowledgable.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:37 AM

2001 C240 6spd
Teleaid comes "standard" already set in the price of the car, for all models except the C230K coupe. I think for retail cost reasons...to keep it low. Some coupes did have it included for "free", but these were the first few cars as a promotional deal. I am not sure if it is worth the trouble having it. I have not used it since the original set-up.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
From what I've read (trying not to sound like Oliver Stone on this one), Teleaid was going to be offered as standard on the ccoupe, then MB did some pennypinching, and made it an option instead. Even though I'd hopefully never use it, I think that it should be standard; for $750, I'd think that it would have been easier in factory costs to just make it standard, instead of having to build that flexibility into the production process.

To answer the original question, I think there's a button on the upper inside portion of the center armrest for the Teleaid. Or is it two - one for "SOS" and one for mechanical? I cheaped out and decided not to get it, now it looks like I made the right decision.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:03 AM

2001 C240 6spd
I've got three buttons in the sedan.
1. SOS on the centre roof panel with all the light controls.
2. "I" button - centre arm rest - upper compartment for Information.
3. "wrench" - centre arm rest next to info button for road side assistance.

May be overkill to have three separate buttons.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:39 AM

actually all teleaid vehicles have 3 buttons, sos, wrench, and Info.

they are used to determine the order your call is handled. For example if i hit the info button, and you hit the SOS button at the same time, i will be put on hold to take your call, if an operator is not immediatly available to talk to you.

SOS takes priority over wrench and info
Wrench takes priority over Info
and info is for losers that cant get their homelink thing to work
Old 04-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
There are two pricing components to Teleaid. First is the equipment to make it work, and second the annual fees for the service.

The $700+/- is for the equipment necessary to provide the transmission (buttons, antenna, GPS box, Transmitter, scads more stuff). If you're not paying for the "service" the first year in addition, then the first year of service is also part of the $700 (about $225 worth, or that's what he annual renewals are). So, actual gadgetry is about $500 (retail).

The same equipment cost is embedded in the price for the C-sedan and other MBs up the food chain, but it was apparently deleted as standard by MBUSA to help it crack that $25K price point. The first year of service is also "included" gratis for cars so equipped.

The only positive point for having the equipment in the car is the possible selling point on trade-in or private sale, namely, that it's equipped for Tele-Aid, and all a new buyer has to do is drive by the MB store and activate your own account.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info.... although I may not continue Teleaid in the future. I just think paying 200+ a year for somebody to help you in times of need can be replaced by a call from a handy cellphone.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by curioused
Thanks for the info.... although I may not continue Teleaid in the future. I just think paying 200+ a year for somebody to help you in times of need can be replaced by a call from a handy cellphone.
Oh, I agree completely. I've already sent in my cancellation request. I believe someone here earlier said that about 80% of subscribers cancel after their free year.

Here's a previous thread on how to cancel, about a month before your subscription comes up for renewal....

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=teleaid
Old 04-04-2002, 05:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
It's also possible to get a discount on your insurance since Tele-Aid can also track your car if stolen, and give the information to the police. I'm not sure what the "value" of this is in terms of a discount, but you might want to look into it before you make the decision to cancel.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:43 PM

I've just seen one Black Coupe pass by without the small antenna...guess that answers my question regarding hardware.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by revstriker
It's also possible to get a discount on your insurance since Tele-Aid can also track your car if stolen, and give the information to the police. I'm not sure what the "value" of this is in terms of a discount, but you might want to look into it before you make the decision to cancel.
My insurance company (Traveler's) give one discount for in-car alarm systems and GPS locator systems, combined. Read, if you have the alarm, you get no additional discount for the added Tele-Aid location capability.

Your mileage will vary with your insurance company...
Old 04-04-2002, 08:07 PM

C240
are the info, wrench and SOS Functions all part of Teleaid? If i get into a crash, knocked unconscious and lie at the bottom of a ravine with all 8 airbags poofed out i won't get any help from MB because i didnt subscribe? BAH!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:12 PM

Yup, I guess, they alert MB as soon as airbags are deployed in the car. I think that's what that little antenna does
Old 04-05-2002, 12:50 AM

C240
That is if you subscribed to Teleaid? What i want to clarify is the SOS feature turned off if you don't re-subscribe - i can understand the info and wrench being turned off but the SOS seems like an intrinsic safety feature of the car - i would be sorely dissapointed if this were part of Teleaid.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by Mercedes101
That is if you subscribed to Teleaid? What i want to clarify is the SOS feature turned off if you don't re-subscribe - i can understand the info and wrench being turned off but the SOS seems like an intrinsic safety feature of the car - i would be sorely dissapointed if this were part of Teleaid.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the SOS function is indeed a part of teleaid, and you would not have this feature unless you subscribe. Otherwise, a lot of people (myself included) would not subscribe if we could just push the SOS button in an emergency. I have AAA ($45 a year?) plus a cell phone, so the SOS feature is the only thing I care about.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I know this may sound stupid but i actually used tele-aid last week. I was given the wrong directions to a club (seriously i was) and i called teleaid and they got me there just fine, in about 5 min. As far as the insurance discount it saves me around 75 a year because of the vehicle tracking. A couple hundred is worth it to me especially since I had that wreck, and they called 911 before i could
Old 04-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
I know this may sound stupid but i actually used tele-aid last week. I was given the wrong directions to a club (seriously i was) and i called teleaid and they got me there just fine, in about 5 min. As far as the insurance discount it saves me around 75 a year because of the vehicle tracking. A couple hundred is worth it to me especially since I had that wreck, and they called 911 before i could
Hey Tim, about how long did it take TeleAid to give you the information? I have yet to use it, but because we get some free time, I have heard that they try to keep you on longer than neccessary. Let us know what you think.