C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Timeport Firmware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pending
Question Timeport Firmware

Hi, I'm about ready to order a C230 K, and I would love to get the Timeport Kit, although I'm finding the CDN$ 1895 to be a little stiff. Also I'm about to get a new Timeport from work anyways. I've already searched and read all about how I *need* the MB phone because the firmware is different.

I'm wondering if this firmware is upgradeable. i.e.: Can I take my work Timeport in somewhere (cell phone dealer maybe) and have them upgrade the firmware so it will work in the car. I noticed that there is someone on the board here who works for Telus in BC. (I'm in Alberta, btw) Hopefully he knows the answer, (or anyone else for that matter).

Getting my work phone to work in the car would be extremely useful, not just from a cost perspective, but also I would have one less cell number (one less cell bill )

Thanks for any help you may have!

Jeremy
Old 04-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Simple answer... NO ...

The Firmware is not available and Mercedes/Motorola guards it like a family secret.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
You can probably get your phone flashed at FUTURETEL in Markham, Ontario.

They do walk in Firmware upgrades for ALL of Toronto for most phones.

But you still need to buy the phone kit for the Timeport which is a fair chunk of change.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
You can probably get your phone flashed at FUTURETEL in Markham, Ontario.

They do walk in Firmware upgrades for ALL of Toronto for most phones.

But you still need to buy the phone kit for the Timeport which is a fair chunk of change.
The problem is that the Mercedes branded phones use a special firmware written by Motorola. This firmware is what allows the Mercedes branded Motorola phone to know how to communicate with the in car systems/COMAND, etc....

Only Mercedes/Motorola have this firmware and they will not give it out. As a matter of fact, even Mercedes Dealers no longer upgrade the firmware. All upgrades to Mercedes branded Motorolas need to go through Motorolas Mercedes divison now meaning that you have to ship your phone to them.