C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Broke Vacuum line? while doing CPS sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Brabus C3.8S
Broke Vacuum line? while doing CPS sensor replacement

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, as I recently imported a Brabus C3.8s from Japan. This is a Brabus customized m112 3.2L engine bored to 3.8L. This forum has been an incredible resource so far. You guys are great!!

I've only had the car a month or two, and all of a sudden, it wouldn't start one morning. Since then, I've tried several times, and only been able to get it running for about 20 seconds before dying again. Otherwise it just cranks and cranks but doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. After lots of research, I figured I'd try replacing the crankshaft position sensor. I have an OBDII bluetooth scanner that is reporting no codes in the Torque app.

I am part-way thru the CPS job, as the car is parked outside, and I've run out of light for the day. I have removed the MAF sensor, and located the CPS sensor. I also need to get an E8 Torx socket before continuing.

My question is this. While removing the MAF sensor, I seem to have snapped off what I think is a vacuum line. It is a black hose, with a white brittle plastic inside. The white plastic snapped right at the end of the hose where it connects to the engine. I've attached some photos showing the hose in question. What should I do to repair/replace this hose? I'm confident I can get the CPS job finished, but not sure what to do next. I may just have to bite the bullet and get a tow to my mechanic.

Any help is MUCH appreciated, thanks!

Broke Vacuum line? while doing CPS sensor replacement-f26mgc3.jpg

Broke Vacuum line? while doing CPS sensor replacement-wglyrva.jpg
Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Put it all back together as you do not have issues with the CPS--have you checked spark and or fuel pump\rail pressure???

Use MB EPC to help define the correct parts for your car!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 PM

2002 Brabus C3.8S
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Put it all back together as you do not have issues with the CPS--have you checked spark and or fuel pump\rail pressure???

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you're saying my CPS is definitely not the issue? How can you be sure? I have not checked spark or fuel pressure yet, I just figured that the CPS would be a good thing to try first as it's cheap and relatively easy.

I'm guessing I should just have it towed to the shop at this point. I'm not equipped to do much on my own.

*EDIT: If I do just put it all back together, what do you suggest I do with the hose?

Last edited by brabusyvr; 03-06-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM

2002 Brabus C3.8S
Originally Posted by Plutoe

Plutoe can you please elaborate more? I'm still not sure whether I should continue the replacement of the CPS. How are you sure this isn't my problem?

Thanks

Last edited by brabusyvr; 03-08-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by brabusyvr
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you're saying my CPS is definitely not the issue? How can you be sure? I have not checked spark or fuel pressure yet, I just figured that the CPS would be a good thing to try first as it's cheap and relatively easy.

I'm guessing I should just have it towed to the shop at this point. I'm not equipped to do much on my own.

*EDIT: If I do just put it all back together, what do you suggest I do with the hose?
Ditto what Plutoe says,.... you're just throwing parts and money on the car.

CPS problem will generally stall a running car,.... but if you already got the CPS from Mercedes then replace it,.... but if it's generic CPS then trash it!

Your problem is starting the car and keeping it running. Do as Plutoe says and check for gas pressure at rail,.... if low then gas pump-sender unit and fuel filter.

Then, make sure you have spark,....

Read code!

For the broken plastic part,.... lots of the plastic part near hot engine will become brittle over time and prone to break,..... since it broke so easily, time to replace it and other similar plastic parts near the engine.

BTW, MB EPC is USA. Best option for Canucks is to get the Mercedes W203 DVD. Based on your engine, go to MBpartsworld.com and figure out the Mercedes part you broke and use the Mercedes Part# to order the correct parts from Mercedes.

And for God sake,.... a Brabus C3.8s from Japan,..... post pics!!!!!

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 03-08-2017 at 12:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
brabusyvr (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM

2002 Brabus C3.8S
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Ditto what Plutoe says,.... you're just throwing parts and money on the car.

CPS problem will generally stall a running car,.... but if you already got the CPS from Mercedes then replace it,.... but if it's generic CPS then trash it!

Your problem is starting the car and keeping it running. Do as Plutoe says and check for gas pressure at rail,.... if low then gas pump-sender unit and fuel filter.

Then, make sure you have spark,....

Read code!

For the broken plastic part,.... lots of the plastic part near hot engine will become brittle over time and prone to break,..... since it broke so easily, time to replace it and other similar plastic parts near the engine.

BTW, MB EPC is USA. Best option for Canucks is to get the Mercedes W203 DVD. Based on your engine, go to MBpartsworld.com and figure out the Mercedes part you broke and use the Mercedes Part# to order the correct parts from Mercedes.

And for God sake,.... a Brabus C3.8s from Japan,..... post pics!!!!!
Thanks for your input. I've given up, the car is going to the shop. I bought the CPS from amazon, supposedly it is Bosch. I think I will have them finish the install. Can you please provide more info on this w203 DVD? Is that literally a disc with info/programs on it? Possible to download?

I've been meaning to introduce myself to the forum with pics. As soon as it's back on the road, I promise to do so. In the meantime, here's a photo from Japan before I got my hands on it.

Cheers,

Broke Vacuum line? while doing CPS sensor replacement-opm80tc.jpg
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by brabusyvr
Thanks for your input. I've given up, the car is going to the shop. I bought the CPS from amazon, supposedly it is Bosch. I think I will have them finish the install. Can you please provide more info on this w203 DVD? Is that literally a disc with info/programs on it? Possible to download?

For parts, buy:
- the "Genuine Part" at Mercedes-Benz STEALERSHIP - they usually have Mercedes-Benz logo and Mercedes-Benz part number stamped on
- to save money, buy the "OEM Part" by figuring out who really made the part for Mercedes-Benz.

Usually best to buy online from certain specialized websites (search!). But avoid the non-OEM, aftermarket, clone part.

New replacement CPS from non-OEM companies are notorious for failing!,.... and usually owners have to redo all their work to put in a Mercedes-Benz/OEM CPS. So regardless of whether your CPS is Bosch,.... is it the OEM??? For your car and engine, transmission,... you have to search and figure it out.

These are old cars, everything and anything has already been done to them. You have to do your homework and "search"! The fact that you're changing your CPS shows you didn't do your homework.

Both Plutoe and I suggested you check your "gas rail" so do a search for "gas rail" and you'll come across "schneider valve" - oh, that's where you check gas pressure! Just do your homework and "search" the forum! Look for "stickies"

MB EPC is an online (now subscription paid) parts/how-to-repair website for USA. Mercedes HAD a how-to maintain/check/repair DVD before - not sold anymore but sometimes you'll find them for sale here or ebay. DVD has security on it so now copiable nor downloadable. And some of the more common check and repair procedures are posted here as well,.... search!

As long as you're willing to do your homework, it's not that difficult to fix these cars. Like I said, everything is online here,... just search! Otherwise, you'll be spending at least 3 times the cost of repairs for labour!

Also ask some of the local forum members for recommendations as for Vancouver area Mercedes-Indy.

In your neck of the woods, there's also Flying Tiger Development - they do a lot of Mercedes Brabus stuff in BC
http://www.flyingtiger.ca/

And early W203 are notorious for being rust magnets. So in BC, you want to avoid Winter driving in anyplace with salted roads.

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 03-08-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM

2002 Brabus C3.8S
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
For parts, buy:
- the "Genuine Part" at Mercedes-Benz STEALERSHIP - they usually have Mercedes-Benz logo and Mercedes-Benz part number stamped on
- to save money, buy the "OEM Part" by figuring out who really made the part for Mercedes-Benz.

Usually best to buy online from certain specialized websites (search!). But avoid the non-OEM, aftermarket, clone part.

New replacement CPS from non-OEM companies are notorious for failing!,.... and usually owners have to redo all their work to put in a Mercedes-Benz/OEM CPS. So regardless of whether your CPS is Bosch,.... is it the OEM??? For your car and engine, transmission,... you have to search and figure it out.

These are old cars, everything and anything has already been done to them. You have to do your homework and "search"! The fact that you're changing your CPS shows you didn't do your homework.

Both Plutoe and I suggested you check your "gas rail" so do a search for "gas rail" and you'll come across "schneider valve" - oh, that's where you check gas pressure! Just do your homework and "search" the forum! Look for "stickies"

MB EPC is an online (now subscription paid) parts/how-to-repair website for USA. Mercedes HAD a how-to maintain/check/repair DVD before - not sold anymore but sometimes you'll find them for sale here or ebay. DVD has security on it so now copiable nor downloadable. And some of the more common check and repair procedures are posted here as well,.... search!

As long as you're willing to do your homework, it's not that difficult to fix these cars. Like I said, everything is online here,... just search! Otherwise, you'll be spending at least 3 times the cost of repairs for labour!

Also ask some of the local forum members for recommendations as for Vancouver area Mercedes-Indy.

In your neck of the woods, there's also Flying Tiger Development - they do a lot of Mercedes Brabus stuff in BC
http://www.flyingtiger.ca/

And early W203 are notorious for being rust magnets. So in BC, you want to avoid Winter driving in anyplace with salted roads.
Thanks again for your detailed response. I did do a fair bit of research. The CPS seemed like a good easy cheap place to start. Next would have been the gas rail/fuel system. Given that I don't have much time, tools, or good weather, I've decided to let my mechanic do the work. I have researched mechanics. Henneken Auto will be doing most of my work. I will look into Flying Tiger as well.

Thanks for your advice about the CPS and road salt.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Also check the service records to ensure spark plugs were changed every 40,000km as required. I'm assuming your car now has about 100,000km on it as typical of cars imported from Japan.

Without seeing the car, I'm guessing it's a fuel delivery issue requiring new fuel pump/sender unit. That's why you need to check the code and fuel rail gas pressure, otherwise you'd just be throwing more expensive parts at the car and doing unnecessary repairs that requires lots of precautions.

Definitely look into buying a decent mechanic set with torx and inverted e-torx sockets.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Based on your photo, I assume your Mercedes-Benz Brabus C3.8s was this one:
http://www.braveautointernational.jp...53665.html#btm

Very rare and yours is probably the only Mercedes-Benz Brabus C3.8s in Canada! And I can't recall anyone on MBWorld or BenzWorld with one; although someone did drop the engine into a C320
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...8s-engine.html

Assuming you got #37/100 in these videos, the car is in very good shape! Only a few minor scratches that can be buffed out.

- The vibration at steering wheel during hard stop can be brake rotor needs to be machined/replaced and also maybe "play in rubber brushings" of front control arms - basically, you'll need to change the hockey pucks! (Canuckle-head talk!) Might be premature on a 65,000km (as per video) but could happen if regularly driven hard.
- Instrument cluster's display is starting to fade - search "W203 LCD Display for Instrument Cluster Pixel Repair" - there was a recommended source posted here before
- I see the previous owner upgraded radio-navigation, hence the GPS antenna on dash at bottom of front passenger windshield. Might need Canadian radio-GPS update

Nothing in those videos from 6 months ago indicate a fuel delivery issue at that time; but fuel pump-sender units are known to fail in a short time. Read code! There should be a bunch of error codes indicating what's wrong!