C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Peeling Dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Peeling Dashboard

Hello All!

I recently bought my Mercedes C230 back in December and I love it. The other day I was cleaning my car after work and once I was done wiping down the dashboard with ArmorAll Cleaning Wipes and I saw this.
I've tried but I cant get it off. Anyone have any advice?

View pictures here

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Looks like the top layer is coming off. Unfortunately I would imagine there's no way to fix that short of replacing the panel. You might want to talk to a professional upholsterer to see if they can do anything for you. The good news is that panel is easy to remove (though it's like a 9 step process). The centre console has to be shifted rearward first though. If you're going to remove that panel, you might want to also look into your HVAC linkages and stepper motors, which are also known to go bad and require removal of the same panel.

If it makes you feel any better, my shifter boot and steering wheel are both losing bits off the surface too. I just try not to look at the damaged parts.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C220 CDI Avantgarde Auto (4 door)
Yeah same thing has happened to mine, I cleaned the glovebox door with Shell Cockpit Wipes, they must contain alcohol as it has taken off the matte coating.

I have masked it by using Turtle Wax Dashboard Shine which makes it unnoticeable but you would have to cover the whole interior to match. Also it wears off after about 3 months. I've bought a new glovebox off eBay for £24, I was going to replace it anyway as the silver handle trim came off and there is also a big scratch on it too.

replacing it is the better option, masking it with some dashboard shine is the easy option or you could rub the rest of it off to match. I don't know of any matte spray that would cover it and not look as bad.