C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Car Care

What kind of products do you guys use to clean the exterior/interior? Is the MB care kit worth buying (98 USD + shipping).
Old 04-07-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Zaino on the exterior and will use Lexol on the interior.

Have you been to the Detailing and Automotive Care forum?

https://mbworld.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=37
Old 04-07-2002, 06:52 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i like zymol wax, and the wash. and costco sells it for about half the price of what others sell it for
Old 04-07-2002, 07:45 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i am afraid to admit it, but i ordered the MB kit for 98 bucks the other day.... along with a key chain, and tire valve covers.

i think its just repackaged meguires, but their products seem to be good, and are easier to use then zaino.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by greg230
i am afraid to admit it, but i ordered the MB kit for 98 bucks the other day.... along with a key chain, and tire valve covers.

i think its just repackaged meguires, but their products seem to be good, and are easier to use then zaino.
Greg,

As Mr. Barnum said..."there is one born ever minute". The MB shareholders are counting on that.

Well enjoy the key chain! I actually would have gotten one, but my current key chain is even more pretentious than a Benz key chain (Tiffany) and was a gift from someone special, so I just can't give it up.

And, at least your car will be clean (unlike my black on black one)

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-08-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:49 PM

i liked the bucket all the stuff came in, and it was conveniently available on line (used a gift certificate for a hundred bucks of my purchase

in my defense... wait why am i defending myself to someone that has a tiffany key fob!

ever heard that one about the pot and the kettle
Old 04-08-2002, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i liked the bucket all the stuff came in, and it was conveniently available on line (used a gift certificate for a hundred bucks of my purchase

in my defense... wait why am i defending myself to someone that has a tiffany key fob!

ever heard that one about the pot and the kettle
Wait, not only is it a Tiffany key chain, it has a big heart on it that sez "luv U” How much more pretentious could it get? It definitely has princess written all over it

hmmmm, I think I liked that pot/kettle phrase better when I got Tommy with it yesterday.

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-08-2002 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:02 AM

what did you get tommy on yesterday??? i havent been very active on the boards lately
Old 04-08-2002, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what did you get tommy on yesterday??? i havent been very active on the boards lately
I'm happy to point out my witty moment at Tommy's exspense.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...eferrerid=1474

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-08-2002 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:51 AM

2002 C230 C7,C5
After trying several products, I've been really pleased with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, Zymol wax, Meguiar's Gold Class leather lotion, and Simple Green.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:17 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
I tried a liquid hard wax two weeks ago. It's a german brand called Sonax. Very easy to apply and buff of. Good shine. Remains to see how long it will last.

Any of you ever heard of, or tried Sonax's products? I've read several tests in several swedish auto-mags, and Sonax's products have always ended up as test-winner.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:24 AM

my favorite product of all time.... and it may just be because i am lazy.

Meguires Spot Detailer (i think #35)

bird doo doo, sap, little drop of dirty water??? spritz and wipe. Leaves no streaks, no swirl marks, just a beautiful shine. REALLY helpful in getting by when you CANT wash the car every weekend.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I've been using Zaino since I picked up the car. I really like it. It's easy to apply, and comes off with little effort. Leaves a nice shine.

I've also tried Meguires, and have found that to be equally as nice. I may go back to meguires when I run out of Zaino, as it seems to be easier to find.

Greg, how do you mean that MB products are easier to use than zaino? I haven't tried the MB stuff, but I think that zaino is pretty easy to use.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:42 PM

2001 C240
Wink the black car wash regiment

If you're polishing:

1) Wash car with Dawn or any other dishwashing soap. This will strip any wax/polish on the car. Use lambswool mits, not sponges. Rinse the mits frequently in another bucket filled with water to ensure no dirt collects on the mits (which causes swirls). Wash the car one section at at time, and wash the car in the direction of the wind (front to back). Do the rims last as they are the dirtiest.

2) While still sudsy, I use a clay bar. The viscosity of the suds allows for good claying and saves a step. Rinse thoroughly.

3) Get a California waterblade (Costco) to squeegy the car down. I then dry the car with an "Abosrber" which holds a LOT of water or a 100% cotton towel. If you're using a towel, make sure you use good quality towels, like Polo, Cannon, etc. Save the standard towels for your own showers. Chamois' work great too, however I was told that they strip wax. In this case, it wouldn't matter since I'm polishing anyway.

4) Zaino Z-1 to prep the car. Light coat, no need to rub off. If you want to hide chips on the hood or front spoiler, I use the "black" turtle wax polish, which does a decent job.

5) 1 hour later, Z-2 (0r Z-5 if there's swirls). Zaino removes really easily after 1 hour or so. No need to buff off like wax.

6) While waiting for polish to dry, I use Turtle Wax or Meguigar's tire dressing (the kind you apply with a sponge). So much better than those spray ones. I do use the spray cans on the wheel wells though.

8) Admire....

9) Rinse, lather, repeat in 2 weeks.

In between car washes I dust the car daily with a California Dustbuster and use Meguiar's spray for fingerprints, bird drops, etc. Keep a bottle and towel in the trunk for emergencies. BTW, I use microfiber towels instead of terry cloth. They work very well.

if i'm not polishing:

1) Wash the car with Zymol car wash (Coscto). Dry as above. Dress the tires.

FYI - I've tried virtually every product (Meguiar's, Zymol, Mothers, etc) and I have to admit Zaino is by far the best I've used. All the products pretty much have an equal shine, however the Zaino polish has lasted the longest.

If anyone in the bay area is interested in Zaino, call the bay area distributor (Steve: 408-965-7624)

Yes, I have no life and a lot of time to waste...

- Eric
Old 04-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
My car is washed by me 3 times a week i use mothers car wash to wash it. and Meguiar's Gold Class wax at least once a month and i always use black magic tire shine i hate the Meguiar's kind u put on a sponge. but i only apply the black magic with a sponge even though u can spray it i dont.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:55 PM

Import
Spindrome, BlackC230Coupe -
While I think it's great to be able to take such great care of one's automobile, do you guys have jobs, wives, lives? Then again, maybe I'm just jealous!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:02 PM

2001 C240
yes, all of the above.... :)

happily married, cool job, nice house, happy life, which allows me the time to spend caring for my cars...
Old 04-08-2002, 05:06 PM

Import
Re: yes, all of the above.... :)

Originally posted by spindrome
happily married, cool job, nice house, happy life, which allows me the time to spend caring for my cars...

Me too, but somehow the cars lose out....
Old 04-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Re: Re: yes, all of the above.... :)

Originally posted by pel C

no way i am to young for all that i have a job but no wife.
so thats why i give so much attention to my car.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:17 PM

W203 coupe Kompresor
Re: Re: yes, all of the above.... :)

Originally posted by pel C

yeah same here.. when the car arrives i'll be washin it like crazy as well.. hey u guys know where i can get this zaino stuff here in vancouver BC.... would like to try some of that.. cuz i think my dad's got a nice can of M something gold wax..

so yeah... black kinda bites.. but worth it...!!

cool job for sure.. girlfriend...... life..... etc... hope i'll have time for the car....
Old 04-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: the black car wash regiment

Originally posted by spindrome
9) Rinse, lather, repeat in 2 weeks.
Do you clay bar your car every 2 weeks? Also, do you always use dishwashing detergent to strip you car, or do you ever just wash and polish? If you do (wash & polish), do you still use Z1 or just go right to Z2?

Thanks for the useful info. I have to look into getting a California Waterblade. I use a California Duster now which really works great!
Old 04-08-2002, 05:55 PM

2001 C240
Re: Re: the black car wash regiment

Originally posted by revstriker
Do you clay bar your car every 2 weeks?Also, do you always use dishwashing detergent to strip you car, or do you ever just wash and polish? If you do (wash & polish), do you still use Z1 or just go right to Z2?

I clay before every polish. Must make the surface as smooth as possible in order to get the most out of the polish. As for dishwashing detergent, Zaino advises using it before polishing. Something in dishwashing soap strips wax or polish, unlike car wash soaps. I think it's the alkaline, but I'm not a chemist.

I think you can go right into Z-2 if you recently used Z-1 (3 months ago or so). It doesn't hurt to use Z-1 often though as Zaino states Z-1, Z-2, and Z-5 are compatible.

Thanks for the useful info. I have to look into getting a California Waterblade. I use a California Duster now which really works great!
The waterblade is sweet! It's basically just a squeegy made out of teflon. It doesn't scratch the paint and it cuts drying time tremendously.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
Smile

I just washes and clayed my car yesterday. Went right to Z2. I clayed when it was still little wet and spray little z6 over. In summer, I'll strip down all wax and clay it again.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:37 PM

where do you guys live that you need to clay your car every 2 weeks??? i dont really think thats necessary, expecially if you wash frequently and maintain vigiliance against big contaminants.

my comment about zaino is related to the number of products, waiting time between applications and narrow tollerances of application variables.

in short, its a lotta work, and a lotta time for a shine that looks as good as mothers/meguires/p21s/etc etc but lasts just a slight bit longer.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
spindrome, thanks for the answer. I normally use the claybar about twice a year, or more frequent as needed. I originally used the dishwashing detergent to strip, and then the Z1 and Z2. I put on 3 coats of Z2. It really does get better with each coat! I haven't used any more Z2 since then (about 1 1/2 months ago), and it still shines up with only a zaino wash. I think on the next free weekend that I have (at least 2 more wks), I will z2 again. I've got to get that squeegee though. I've never heard of that, but it sounds great. I washed the car this evening and went through 3 big towels (good quality, 100% cotton of course).

Greg, thanks for clarifying the zaino comment. In that respect, I guess it is a little more work. It took 3 days to do 3 coats! But I can't imagine the actual physical labor being any easier. Besides, how else would I get my exercise??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Care