C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 After Market Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Question C320 After Market Head Unit

I'm thinking about having a DVD Receiver with Touchscreen
(Kenwood KVT-911DVD) installed in my 2001 C320, but was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me.

1) Will you get any type of error message on the cluster display when installing an aftermarket unit?

2) Would there be any type of center console refabrication needed to install the head unit?

3) Is there any techincal literature that explains the signalling that takes place between the radio and the cluster display in order to display the radio station, etc?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel
Old 04-07-2002, 07:53 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Re: C320 After Market Head Unit

Originally posted by moreracm
I'm thinking about having a DVD Receiver with Touchscreen
(Kenwood KVT-911DVD) installed in my 2001 C320, but was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me.

1) Will you get any type of error message on the cluster display when installing an aftermarket unit?

2) Would there be any type of center console refabrication needed to install the head unit?

3) Is there any techincal literature that explains the signalling that takes place between the radio and the cluster display in order to display the radio station, etc?
You should not get a fault warning with a aftermarket system, but you do lose a lot for the convenience of aftermarket stereos.
No MFD for stereo, cd track, or radio stations, no steering wheel controls, and nowhere near as clean of an install on the head unit as the manufacturers work.

If dvd in your car is so important, you can opt for visor mounted screens (lose the vanity mirror) and mount the DVD player in the glove box. I have seen 2 cars (a bmw and a lexus) done in this fashion, and they looked great, and sounded ok, using RF to transmit the sound to the stereo. Installs of this type are not as cheap as the headunit/screen combos, but its slicker, and enables all your MFD functions.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:06 PM

w203 c230K 2002
The Kenwood KVT-911DVD is a great unit you can add sirrus if you like. I have the KVT-910DVD installed in a the coupe. It's great I also have the Kenwwod (Phatnoise) music keg running with it (I can't think of 2000 songs to load on it though). You will lose the funtion of the MFD for the raido and CD oh well its worth it.

The kenwood head unit will play VCD's you burn on your computer which means you can play music videos with dvd sound its a freash way to enjoy your tunes in the car.

Randy