C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Windows, seat don't work after battery change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Windows, seat don't work after battery change?

Bought a 1998 C230 yesterday from the original owner. It's in pretty good shape and I got a great price. The only problem I see is that the power seat and 3 of the windows don't work along with the side mirrors. I suspect the console switches for the windows/mirrors and the relay for the seat but I did see a thread on the net today where someone said that their windows and seat stopped working after a battery change. The author of that thread said that he disconnected and re-connected the battery and they worked again.

The previous owner said that AAA had to come out and change the battery just recently and since he doesn't drive the car that often, he's not sure if the windows/seats stopped working before or after the battery change.

Questions is: Is this something that could happen - the seats/windows stop working after a battery change? I sure hope so. This sure would be an easy fix.

As I understand it, I would need to disconnect the battery with the key out of the ignition and disconnect and reconnect negative terminal first and last to avoid serious problems? I understand about the radio code and the SRS and reprogramming the windows.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
You probably need to resync everything that has one-click auto function. However, if they don't work at all, that's a different story. It's entirely possible that someone f-d up a simple battery change. If you do a search you'll see how often it happens.

I'd bet money that's exactly what happened and also that the previous owner knows exactly when and why they stopped working.

By the way, the 1998 C class is the 202 chassis, not the 203.

PS: Correct, always keep you key in you pocket when disconnecting the battery; negative goes out first and goes in last.

Last edited by shadenfroh; 06-15-2017 at 05:03 AM.