C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trouble Shooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C Class C280
Trouble Shooting

Hello everyone I am new to the community and new to the Mercedes I just bought one used C280 and it has been certified by MB with all the maint. records from day 1.

My problem is that I have a check engine light on and when I hooked up the icarsoft MBII it said I have a o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 ... I am guessing thats the one on the passenger side before the cat.

Anyway When I get in and start the car sometimes it will go from 700 rpm to 400 rpm and then perk up again I let it sit for a good 15 minutes today and pulled out went down the block and it seemed to be sputtering until I got to 35 mph the rest of the day it was fine with a few low rpms sitting still but not hesitating at all is that because of the o2 sensor?

Thanks
Jimmysixe
Old 07-06-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S203
or throttle body, MAF, air/vacuum issue, fuel filter, fuel pump, gas quality....
Old 07-06-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Malfunctioning O2 sensor will still let the car drive as "normal". ECU should default the fuel trim to running rich, aka throwing more gas into the cylinder.

​​​​​​your rough running sounds like sounds like spark plug ignition coil
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM

Well Here it is folks .... I broke down and took it to the dealer to find out everything wrong with it I walked in at 10:30am my appointment ... First Time I have been to a Benz Dealer Walked in and the service writer was busy .... they sent me to the lounge where I could hang on some couches with a 80" TV or I could hang in the lounge with starbucks and a buffet of food... OH after I passed through the gift shoppe and then through the room with the pool tables ... WTF !!! this is cool I thought

I sat down in the lounge right in front of the glass to watch the cars being worked on some one came and got me to tell me the service writer was ready for me... he said the computer is saying you need the B service done... I said I am here because the car will barley run he said OH?

I was like you were just inside the thing you did not feel it shaking like crazy? He replied we will check that out for you and if you want the B service it will be $550.00 <I LOLED at That>

whatever dude so back to the lounge i went to wait ... in comes my car parked almost in front of the glass ! Ok Cool I get to watch .... 3 hrs the car sat there with no one touching it I finally texted him and he had someone go right over to it ...... and this is what they said

I LOL'd at This

He said the car had an oil leak errrrmmm The car is bone dry and never went up on a lift !!!!

I told them I will take the car home now ! After 3 hrs of waiting So the service writer said ok its at the wash and I will go get it and drive it right up to the front... I said thank you paid for my diagnostic and walked outside 1 half hour later out comes my car .... I look at it and the emblem was ripped off the front and the fog light glass was cracked and smashed .... I went ape **** !

the replaced the emblem and had to order a fog light assembly for me .... Moral of the story Don't Go to the dealership unless absolutely necessary! I have to go back and order an extra key when getting my fog light done. UGGGGg

went to the parts store picked up all the parts for 500.00 and went home and did it myself, turned the key and now she's purrin like a kitten.

wheweshhhh!

Old 07-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S203
lol because you said that CEL is on they charged you 155 ?
which parts you bought and replaced from that list?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 PM

coils installed
plugs installed
o2 sensors installed

couldn't do a trans fluid change there is no fill tube on my car in the back of the engine

air cabin and air filters were brand new

brake fluid is clear

pwsteering fluid is clear

brakes are new

no trouble code for throttle actuator

They are crazy!

Last edited by jimmysixe; 07-07-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 191 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Welcome to the world of MB dealerships, where they charge $1000 for a job that can be DIYed for $150. The magic ratio I personally keep encountering is around 7 to 1. Adds up very quickly.

The transmission fluid (full flush) can be done at any indie with a hoist. Instructions are on this forum somewhere; message me if you can't find them. Apparently the service interval is 60k km, but personally I think 100k is a lot more reasonable (remember how these things were once lifetime fill ).

How is it possible for a throttle activator to cost so much? And they just told that to you with a straight face?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
560SL
OH

Can you please identify the dealer? This is outrageous!