C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 facelift; poor Multi-function display illumination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C220 CDI Avant Garde SE Estate (2004)
W203 facelift; poor Multi-function display illumination

Hi,
I've read a small number of threads that 'sort of' relate to this type of problem in general, but not specifically to my model and without any concrete resolution. So I thought I'd start a new thread with some specific details and see if anyone has any thoughts.
I've recently bought a W203 Avantagrde SE Estate (late 2004, facelift). The multi-function display is very difficult to read in daylight though (sometimes almost impossible) due its very low level of backlight illumination, and I'm wondering where the problem lies.
Note: Many discussions concern the older, pre-facelift display, which has well-documented issues and solutions. Mine is the later instrument cluster, consisting of four analogue dials and two, central LCD Panels which form the Multi-function display (MFD).
Here's what I know:
1) The instrument panel brighteness potentiometer/knob (which acts as a 'master' control for dashboard illumination and is situated to the lower left of the instrument binnacle) is turned all the way to its max setting.
2) The MFD's illumination brightness is automatically controlled according to the light falling on an ambient light sensor. After much careful investigation, I've found that this sensor is located just behind the face of the rev counter dial, at about the 120 degree (4 o'clock) position and roughly a centimeter from the centre of the dial. you can make out the circular window through which the sensor 'looks' by holding a bright light to the dial and looking at the reflection.
3) The sensor DOES work; either shielding it from the light or shining a torch at it does cause the MFD illumination to respond accordingly. At it's brightest (ie, with a a focused LED torch pointing directly at the sensor), the MFD is perfectly readable in daylight.
4) In daylight, winding down the driver's window results in a noticeable MFD brightenss increase, sometimes to the point where the display is acceptably readable. The sensor is obviously sensitive to wavelengths of light other than visible (either IR or UV), which the window glass blocks.
So ... is the sensor just getting old and has lost some of its original sensitivity to visible light? And if so can it be replaced? Or can the brightenss setting be recalibrated in software or with a circuit board-mounted trimmer? Or does the issue lie elsewhere?
In the general scheme of things this isn't exactly a huge issue; it's annoying though, and I'm curious as to the cause.
Thanks in advance for any light (pardon the pun) that anyone can throw on this.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by Fishngravy
Hi,
I've read a small number of threads that 'sort of' relate to this type of problem in general, but not specifically to my model and without any concrete resolution. So I thought I'd start a new thread with some specific details and see if anyone has any thoughts.
I've recently bought a W203 Avantagrde SE Estate (late 2004, facelift). The multi-function display is very difficult to read in daylight though (sometimes almost impossible) due its very low level of backlight illumination, and I'm wondering where the problem lies.
Note: Many discussions concern the older, pre-facelift display, which has well-documented issues and solutions. Mine is the later instrument cluster, consisting of four analogue dials and two, central LCD Panels which form the Multi-function display (MFD).
Here's what I know:
1) The instrument panel brighteness potentiometer/knob (which acts as a 'master' control for dashboard illumination and is situated to the lower left of the instrument binnacle) is turned all the way to its max setting.
2) The MFD's illumination brightness is automatically controlled according to the light falling on an ambient light sensor. After much careful investigation, I've found that this sensor is located just behind the face of the rev counter dial, at about the 120 degree (4 o'clock) position and roughly a centimeter from the centre of the dial. you can make out the circular window through which the sensor 'looks' by holding a bright light to the dial and looking at the reflection.
3) The sensor DOES work; either shielding it from the light or shining a torch at it does cause the MFD illumination to respond accordingly. At it's brightest (ie, with a a focused LED torch pointing directly at the sensor), the MFD is perfectly readable in daylight.
4) In daylight, winding down the driver's window results in a noticeable MFD brightenss increase, sometimes to the point where the display is acceptably readable. The sensor is obviously sensitive to wavelengths of light other than visible (either IR or UV), which the window glass blocks.
So ... is the sensor just getting old and has lost some of its original sensitivity to visible light? And if so can it be replaced? Or can the brightenss setting be recalibrated in software or with a circuit board-mounted trimmer? Or does the issue lie elsewhere?
In the general scheme of things this isn't exactly a huge issue; it's annoying though, and I'm curious as to the cause.
I don't have any suggestions on a technical fix, but the facelift display in your vehicle (I also have it in my 2005) was used in numerous Mercedes models from about 2005 to 2011. Search for this same issue in the context of the W209 (CLK) or W211 (ML) and you might find more answers. My wife's 2011 ML350 has the exact same display as my 2005 C240, albeit the ML has many more options and settings to play with than my car due to it having a much newer operating system.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C220 CDI Avant Garde SE Estate (2004)
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply mrobinso, and for the information. I'll certainly take up your suggestion :-)
Cheers.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
Originally Posted by Fishngravy
Hi,
Here's what I know:
Was this resolved or fixed?

Old 09-11-2022, 01:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
Originally Posted by Design4111
Was this resolved or fixed?
Bump