C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 MERCEDES BENZ C320
Exclamation Cooling Fan

Drove my 2002 C320 twenty miles by the time I got there , steam started coming from under the hood , I opened the hood and watched all the cooling antifreeze run under the car . No broken hoses no leaks Just over boiling . I noticed that the Fan was not running when I start the car , shoud it ?
The Mechanic said the Fan was bad , he replaced it , NOW, the Fan runs as soon as I turn the key on , with a very high noise and before the car gets hot , is this the way the Fan should run or should it come on when the car is hot ? Thanks fo any explanation .
Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 335 Posts
C320
The fan has a pwm controller that can vary it's speed as needed. If it's running all the time something is wrong. Find a better mechanic.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
560SL
Originally Posted by KHARBAT1
Drove my 2002 C320 twenty miles by the time I got there , steam started coming from under the hood , I opened the hood and watched all the cooling antifreeze run under the car . No broken hoses no leaks Just over boiling . I noticed that the Fan was not running when I start the car , shoud it ?
The Mechanic said the Fan was bad , he replaced it , NOW, the Fan runs as soon as I turn the key on , with a very high noise and before the car gets hot , is this the way the Fan should run or should it come on when the car is hot ? Thanks fo any explanation .
If the fan is running on high at all times, I would first replace the coolant temperature sensor. If that does not fix the issue, you may have a bad ECU. I am assuming the fan runs on high with the AC off? If that is the case, if temp sensor does not fix the issue you most probably have bad ECU. I had same problem. I purchased a rebuilt ECU. I shipped my old ECU to these folks, they took off the files needed to transfer to the rebuilt ECU and I then plugged the new ECU in and all functioned fine including key fobs! Great company.