C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How do you deal with bad and aggressive drivers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How do you deal with bad and aggressive drivers?

I am getting sick of minivans and SUVs riding up my butt on the highway-- which I swear only happens in heavy traffic or cars in front of me. I feel like having the C230 is such I liability because I love it so much and don't want to wreck. How do you deal?
Old 04-12-2002, 09:42 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
First I try to:
1. apply the brakes periodically (flashes with the brake-light)
2. give them a sign with my hand to increase the distance.

If this doesn't help, I:
1. let them pass me
2. start tailing them (really close)
3. flash which the high-beams
4. give them the finger

Old 04-12-2002, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i have taken a new attitude to people that tail gate me.. i fiigure if they wanna tail gate me so close.. then they stand the risk of rear ending me... they have to pay for my damages and what not... so i let em do it all they want...

i know it's a bad attitude to have on the road but it keeps my sanity :p
Old 04-12-2002, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
tailgaters

The best thing is to let them pass you, if possible.

The next next best thing is to drive below the speed limit, to encourage them to pass you (on a 4 lane road).

The last strategy is to ignore them completely.

Some of the other ideas listed here are:
1) dangerous;
2) illegal;
3) likely to infuriate an already bad driver (not a good idea if you ask me).
Old 04-12-2002, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I agree with Mike T.

But, depending on my mood and whether or not I feel the other driver is armed, I turn on my left directional in the left lane or right directional in the right lane.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:08 AM

500 SEC
Here is how se deal with em in TEXAS....
Old 04-12-2002, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I use the lower plastic panel on the hatch as a gauge to determine how close they are. I usually flash the emergency flashers at them a few times to wake them up. If they still don't back off, I have been known to 'salute' them through the panarama roof...
In one instance, I actually had a guy in a pick up truck threaten me. He pulled up next to me at a light, screaming his fool head off. I simply opened my door, started to get out...and he took off through the red light. Damn idiot almost got himself killed by a garbage truck.

Last edited by Rick; 04-12-2002 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:16 AM
sal

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
How to deal with tailgaters 101

Break out the pen and papers, class is now in session.

1.Slam on the brakes so you nearly cause an accident(if you're lucky he/she will hit you)
2a. If by the grace of God they avoid hitting you stick out your middle finger to let them know they have been following to closely(this makes them aware of the err)
2b. If they do hit you, proceed to step out of the car with an easton 32oz aluminum bat and bash the living crap outta there car( this will also let them know of their err)
2c. If you've had a really $h!tty day follow step 2b along with bashing them on knee caps so they can't EVER tailgate another person and cause an accident.
3.If 2a makes them irritable and offensive, slow down(as to tell them something) then lower your window(don't want to break your glass) and open fire into their car.

This is a proven and effective way to stop tailgaters dead on their tracks.

Disclaimer: this lesson is in no way endorsed by the writer MBworld.org or any other person reading it( IT's A JOKE)

I just ignore tailgaters and occasionally a little friendly smile and wave.( that really pisses them off)

Hope you all enjoyed Sal's twisted tailgater lesson..

Cheers.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
1. use your rear fog light - when turned on abruptly, it works just as well as a brake signal - they instantly get off your tail. Also, at night this keeps them off since the light is very bright and quite irritating.

2. use your windshield sprinklers - at speed the vehicle going behind you gets sprayed that makes them slow down as well.

Both methods are perfectly legal

But my favorite is to slow down a little so you have some room in front, then tap the brake pedal to make your car dive a little - seeing this, they'd have to slam on the brakes - and then release and use the front room allocated to pull away to avoid actually being hit from behind. Do it several times in succession - and they usually get off your tail. That said, try not to engage the brake assist system, which may cause real trouble.

Last edited by vadim; 04-12-2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:31 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
"universal sign language" and BMW's famous brakes (HOWEVER, you mst be prepared to GTF out of the way!). if someone doesn't respond to the flashers and the finger, then they get scared...

If its a porsche or another bimmer on my butt, (or an S2000/Z/AMG), I just floor it.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:31 AM

uygtyu
wow

Interesting suggestions..

I've found that its all a matter of perspective. Some people DESERVE to be tailgated because they are driving 27 in a 30mph.. they need to know its time for them to be pulled over so you can pass when flashing or honking doesn't work. I've found at these slow speeds, it usually works because they know that they are being ridiculous...

On the other side of the coin, i feel justified driving in the passing lane of a highway doing 72 in a 55 even when someone comes flying up behind me.. I'm already 17 mph above the speed limit and they are in such a rush.. tailgating at that speed is simply dangerous. If they cannot move around you, they need to calm the F down until you can safely move. As a matter of principle you might not want to move, but I've gotten a ticket for that when a cop was behind me once at night and i didnt know, he got me for 84-b which was failure to keep right.

The problem is it depends on the situation and the mood of either driver.. theres no way to generalize. For example, I am a very passive/rather happy person. But its *only* when I get behind the wheel that I actually get violent thoughts.. I shock myself sometimes.. I go home and cannot believe that i thought those things.. its not like me. But there is something about driving that really gets you angry.

I dont know what it is.. tailgating is just one of the issues. its probably because we all have our own styles of driving, and we have our own tendencies and our own urgencies, and when we are all forced to share the road together, of course there will be conflicts!
Old 04-12-2002, 11:33 AM

uygtyu
oops

sorry guys, I hit the new post button by mistake, it was supposed to be a reply.. but its worth reading.. any thoughts on the situation? It was in response to aggressive driving.

thanks
Old 04-12-2002, 11:34 AM

there is a difference between riding up someones *** at 10-15 over the limit and sitting there going 10-15 UNDER and waiting for your opportunity to pass... one is abusive, one is aggressive/proactive. aggressive driving is only "bad" when it is done dangerously... that is when it becomes "abusive"
Old 04-12-2002, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I agree with Vadim on this one, the rear fog light works very well. Also I have a friend with a CLK that has the rear sunshade, and he used masking tape to spell out "BACK OFF A**HOLE" on it. He changes it from time to time though. Its really funny to watch the faces of the people behind you when you put that up.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: wow

Originally posted by headcircus
On the other side of the coin, i feel justified driving in the passing lane of a highway doing 72 in a 55 even when someone comes flying up behind me.. I'm already 17 mph above the speed limit and they are in such a rush.. tailgating at that speed is simply dangerous. If they cannot move around you, they need to calm the F down until you can safely move. As a matter of principle you might not want to move...
Wrong! The cop was right. You HAVE to move, as the passing lane is not supposed to be driven in unless it's impossible to change to the right. An this is something that sets apart drivers in the US from the much more polite (generally) and disciplined drivers in Europe. Passing on the right is prohibited there, too, and both of these regulations are strictly enforced and followed by all drivers. Which makes drivers' behaviour very predictable and as a result, fast AND safe. Wish driver's education in the US emphasised these two moments...

Last edited by vadim; 04-12-2002 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:47 AM

I hear you...

I consider myself a considerate, but 'spirited' driver. I do not ride the left lane. Even if I am travelling well over the speed limit-- which of course I would never dream of doing --and someone behind me wants to go faster, I make every effort to move right and let them go.

Also, just a matter of preference, I don't mind when people flash their high beams to ask me to go right. I hate tailgating. I only really got sensitive to it when I started riding motorcycles. I have just seen to many accidents and horrible injuries result.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Headcircus, don't worry... I merged the two threads .
Old 04-12-2002, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Boy, do they use the hi beam flash on Autobahns in Germany... I was doing 180 km/h once and they start flashing miles away... Next thing you know they zip by at twice your speed and quickly disappear ahead...

In 3 days I spent there - end of January, ****ty weather - overcast, rain, snow - NOT A SINGLE ACCIDENT spotted. And - only two police cars seen during this whole time.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by vadim

Wrong! The cop was right. You HAVE to move, as the passing lane is not supposed to be driven in unless it's impossible to change to the right.
Wrong!.. in some states (nebraska is one) neither left nor right lane is considered a "passing" lane on the freeways, it depends which state you are in... in his state, it could be true, in mine it sureas hell aint...
Old 04-12-2002, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by dasMafia

Wrong!.. in some states (nebraska is one) neither left nor right lane is considered a "passing" lane on the freeways, it depends which state you are in... in his state, it could be true, in mine it sureas hell aint...
That's stone age... Are you sure about that?
Old 04-12-2002, 11:59 AM

C32 AMG
Re: Re: wow

Wrong! The cop was right. You HAVE to move, as the passing lane is not supposed to be driven in unless it's impossible to change to the right. An this is something that sets apart drivers in the US from the much more polite (generally) and disciplined drivers in Europe. Passing on the right is prohibited there, too, and both of these regulations are strictly enforced and followed by all drivers. Which makes drivers' behaviour very predicrible and as a result, fast AND safe. Wish driver's education in the US emphasised these tho moments...
RIGHT ON!!! The passing lane is just what it means - it is used for "PASSING". I hate it when people (when there is no traffic of course) don't budge from the left most lane be cause they think their speed justifies their being there. If someone is driving faster than you, move the F out of the way. Let the cops take care of them (or many times me ).

As far as tailgaters, if they have no right then slow down even more but don't let them pass. Then blast ahead while waving (any combination of fingers is acceptable). If all else fails, then revert to the Texas way of dealing with them. That always works for me!!! :p
Old 04-12-2002, 12:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: wow

That's stone age... Are you sure about that?
thats what the State Patrol told me at traffic school last summer!

we also only have one major interstate, I-80 which is 30-45% trucks, so the right lane is pretty shot. I do not knwo if other states are the same way, but it is a possibility, state law makes the difference.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:27 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I must be the luckiest driver in the world, because I never encounter 95% of the things that most of you seem to encounter on a daily or weekly basis (tailgaters, people cutting me off because they are jealous I am driving a "Benz" or Porsche, people challenging me to races (that has never happened to me in 20 years of driving), people asking if I am a millionaire because I have a "Benz," people thinking I am a snob because I have a "Benz," etc.)

OK, there have been occasional tailgaters/aggressive drivers in my 20 years of driving. My response is always the same. Pull over and let them go. Problem solved.

I don't care if I am doing 100 mph. If someone comes up behind me at 110, I'll pull to the right and let them go. Same for aggressive or erratic drivers. My goal is always the same. Let them get as far away from me as possible, with as little fuss as possible.

Common sense, isn't it?
Old 04-12-2002, 12:32 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
I don't care if I am doing 100 mph. If someone comes up behind me at 110, I'll pull to the right and let them go. Same for aggressive or erratic drivers. My goal is always the same. Let them get as far away from me as possible, with as little fuss as possible.

Common sense, isn't it?
I LIKE YOU, MAN!!!

(but not that way)
Old 04-12-2002, 03:36 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Boy, do they use the hi beam flash on Autobahns in Germany... I was doing 180 km/h once and they start flashing miles away... Next thing you know they zip by at twice your speed and quickly disappear ahead...

In 3 days I spent there - end of January, ****ty weather - overcast, rain, snow - NOT A SINGLE ACCIDENT spotted. And - only two police cars seen during this whole time.
The regular way of doing this in germany is to signal with you left turn-signal. I think flashing headlights is illegal.

I have the same experiences from german hiways. Very high speeds, but very diciplined drivers. Not many accidents at all. Saw two accidents last summer, none involving a passenger car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you deal with bad and aggressive drivers?