C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP My C230K died today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2004 | 11:33 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Unhappy HELP My C230K died today!

It was raining cats and dogs. I was driving out of a parking lot with some standing water. I assumed it wasn't so deep because I could see the curb. next thing ya know... swish.... and the car died.

Knowing that a car with water is a BAD thing, I got the car towed to my house. I pulled the spark plugs and checked the air filter (moist but no standing water in the air intake).

I tried to turn the ignition.... NOTHING

I have full electricity. Everything else works. It just won't start.

There is some electrical burning smell near the fuse area. I checked all the fuses and relays. All OK.

What do I do?

I have a feeling that this won't be covered under my warranty. The water was a few inches under my door! It wasn't that deep. An Acura Integra was behind me and didn't have any problems driving through the same spot. It would be one thing if water got into the car. It didn't. I have driven through much worse in my old Honda Civic without a hitch.

My options:

1) Get MB to work on it and see if they will cover it under warranty.

2) Get MB to work on it and have my insurance pay for it. (What is going to happen to my deductables?) I have NEVER filed a claim on my insurance. Will my car be considered a flood damage car?

3) Try to work on it myself. My brother (an extremely trustworthy ASE certified mechanic) believes that it is most likely the starter. If I do that work will MB freak out on the rest of my warranty because I did work on the car? What if it isn't the starter. That would be a lot of money for nothin...

AAAAAaaarrrggg.....

I am so frustrated I can't stand it. I just came back from vacation and I have so much stuff to do.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya'll for letting me blow off some steam.

P.S. If I get the car towed about 95 miles to Houston (my closest dealership) and MB says its my fault I will have to pay for the tow (says the MB support guy on the phone). What is that going to cost. I wonder if my insurance will cover that if I file a claim. They already covered the tow to my house and said they wont give any more free tows unless its another problem.
Old 05-13-2004 | 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
dont take any chances and take it to the dealership, dont act like you are guilty and it shouldn't be covered simply act confident that everything will be fine and it should be. I am sure when mercedes is in product development mode they test their vehicles in far more extreme circumstances then what you were faced with. good luck
Old 05-14-2004 | 03:40 AM

2002 C230K
Originally posted by FIXEDupW209
dont take any chances and take it to the dealership, dont act like you are guilty and it shouldn't be covered simply act confident that everything will be fine and it should be. I am sure when mercedes is in product development mode they test their vehicles in far more extreme circumstances then what you were faced with. good luck
agreed. the amount of water described doesn't sounds like it should be problematic. when it rains moderately to heavily here, i go through that kinda of water no problem. granted you can see the steam come off of every cars brakes and diff from hitting the water, but the car keeps on running, with no probs. take it to dealer.
Old 05-14-2004 | 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
once my car is submerged in the muffler line. It didn't do anything to my car. Must be another cause.
Old 05-14-2004 | 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
No wait it happen twice
Old 05-14-2004 | 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
It will still be covered. Nothing in the Warranty booklet says not to drive through water. So it will be covered. Most likely water sprayed up on something that was already going bad and it caused it to fail. What happens when you try to start it? Does the starter engage? Also I hope they towed it from the rear for 95 miles so you did not screw your tranny or anything up.
Old 05-14-2004 | 09:58 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
Also I hope they towed it from the rear for 95 miles so you did not screw your tranny or anything up.
I made sure the tow truck was a flatbed trailer. We used that eye hole thing screwed into the bumper. It worked like a charm.

Well guys thanks for your replies. I think ya'll are right I will call MB soon and have them tow it to Houston.

Please put a prayer in for me.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2004 | 10:11 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Don't be surprised if it isn't covered under warranty. No, nothing says that you can't drive through deep water, there is also nothing that says don't drive it into a brick wall. There is legislation that protects companies when people do absurd things with an item that they shouldn't (but your honor, nothing on the scissors stated it wasn't safe to eat). If the warranty won't cover it, your auto insurer should under an "act of God" type clause. It may not even raise your rates. Check with them.

Last edited by Mark08859; 05-14-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2004 | 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
its simple dont even hint at what caused hte problem if they ask say it was raining outside and the car was fine until morning when you got to it and it wouldn't start.
Old 05-14-2004 | 10:35 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
The only problem is that I already called MBusa looking for a tow truck. He asked me what happened and I told him I was driving through a little bit of water and the car died. He then said If the tow turns out to be my fault I will be charged for the tow and the service.

I assume if I get MB to tow it to Houston they will have this information on record.

Old 05-16-2004 | 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Well, you get bonus points for being doubly stupid- driving thu standing water, AND telling MB.

You only need three things to make and engine start- gas- compression- and spark. I'd yank a plug and see if you have spark.

Sounds like the coil packs have been fried.