C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Changed my glove box light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Changed my glove box light

I know it is trivial, but the fact that the light in my glove box didn't work bugged me for the entire period I owned the car. I searched here and on Benzworld and couldn't find instructions, but I did find some posts indicating similar frustration. The light does not come out easily, so some of the other posters and I were concerned about breaking it.

In case anyone is wondering, the light only works when the ignition switch is on. So, check to see if your light is really burned out before proceeding. Also check fuse 47 (in the engine compartment fuse box) to be sure it isn't blown.

If you are sure your light is burned out,here is how to remove it and replace the bulb:

Before starting, look closely at the switch in the glove box door that triggers the light. (You will need to make sure it is positioned correctly when you reinstall the assembly.) Pry the light assembly out by putting a small screwdriver blade under the long side of the light that is closest to the passenger cabin/glove box door. There is a fairly large part of the light assembly that protrudes towards the back of the glove box, so you should not pry on the back. Once the front part of the light assembly comes free, rotate it downward so you can carefully remove the entire assembly. Put in a new (size 6418) bulb and replace the assembly. Remember to re-position the switch that shuts the light off when the glove box is closed. Be sure to check that the switch engages properly in the assembly.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 02-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 E350 AMG; 18 GLE 350
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
In case anyone is wondering, the light only works when the ignition switch is on.
Thanks Kevin for this invaluable tip!

This is for my E350. New bulb installed. Power to the socket was confirmed. Yet still it was not coming on.

Turned ignition switch to ON position and voila! Glove box light came on.

German logic I suppose for the engineers to think that it must only come on when the ignition switch is on. LOL.

Last edited by eaglehawaii; 06-11-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Switched power is not a bad thing. Imagine if someone leaves the glove box open or the glove box switch (the button that turns off the light) doesn't work properly. Pretty dumb way to drain the battery.

Personally I found my glove box switch had stopped working. The light stayed on even if the glove box was closed. The inner "bump" in the lid had worn down over time. Fixed with a nice thick blob of epoxy.