C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New brakes....have to go through dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K hatch
New brakes....have to go through dealer?

Guys,

Im sure It won't be long before I need new brakes for my C230 coupe '02. Do you have to go through the dealership and get the dreaded and awful amount of brake dust associated with them, or can you just take it anywhere and get generics?

I don't mind shelling out the money, but if they are going to rape me for the new brakes, why not go somewhere else?

Will I need anything else new besides the pads when it comes time? How much are upgrades?

Just curious if there was a cheaper way without compromising the performance etc.

Best,

Paul h.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:45 PM

C230 K
you may be surprised. given the way i drive and the fact that i have 30K miles on my car, i assumed new brakes were due when i started getting a sporadic squealing. I took it in and was shocked to find I had over 50% left on the pads.

As to prices, I called around to a lot of places before I went to the dealer. The cheapest I found here was $140. A few more reputable places (Firestone) told me however that they would not do brakes for a newer MB and to take it to the dealer. The explanation was that they had done so before and had so many issues that they ate quite a bit of the cost. My service advisor mentioned that they had cars brought in all the time from shops that couldn't get the brakes right... So, when I called places that specialized in MB/BMW etc. the price was so close to the dealer price ($230) that I said forget it.

As it turned out, they probably would have done the work anyway even if i didn't need it somewhere else. at the dealer i got a loaner. and I got other things taken care of (new pano roof installed). and i got a car wash...
Old 05-17-2004, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I was shocked....my coupe went in to get a dealer screw up fixed and I asked them to check the brakes.....with 33k miles, they have 66% front, 60% rear life left in them....

The only reason I wanted them checked was they just started to squeal (very little) until warmed up. they quoted a pre-service price of $130 per axle to replace pads and resurface rotors.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Almost a Member!

C230K hatch
Guys,

That does not make me worry so much, thanks.

I am VERY easy on my c230 coupe...the car has barely seen anything over 85mph and only has 20,000 as a two year old '02.

I hope that helps the longevity of the pads, but the price does not seem too bad by what you said.

Best regards,

Paul h.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:02 PM

SLC 43, E53
Isn't it funny how places that specialize in brakes can't get it right and in about an hour or less you can change the brake pads your self......there have been many of us who have done it our self.....i think if you search there are some instructions in here some where....
good luck.....
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally posted by muscle4lew
Isn't it funny how places that specialize in brakes can't get it right and in about an hour or less you can change the brake pads your self......there have been many of us who have done it our self.....i think if you search there are some instructions in here some where....
good luck.....
Right! With a few dollars in tools and a jack stand, any person of average physical ability can easily change brake pads. There are several reliable sources on the Internet that sell OEM pads and sensors.

Learn to do it now and you'll save a fortune over the years.