C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c-coupe's fuel settings changes makes it worse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by trench
I realize this, although I swear that whomever originally posted that one could change the octane settings said that the cars came from the factory with the CPU set to the middle setting (sort of like the Bose AudioPilot) and that there were two additonal settings one above and one below. I could be mistaken though.

BT
you remember correctly. but there was a misunderstanding w/ the numbers.

the problem is that it seems that the base is actually 95RON (US 91 Octane) and hence the confusion. the setting of 91RON (US 87 Octane) even worse. and there is no higher RON value available... basically, the US Octane and RON numbers were mixed around.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
I realize this, although I swear that whomever originally posted that one could change the octane settings said that the cars came from the factory with the CPU set to the middle setting (sort of like the Bose AudioPilot) and that there were two additonal settings one above and one below. I could be mistaken though.
Upon further review, I see where my confusion comes from. I now think that perhaps young has set his car for the wrong octane rating. When he was saying 93 I was interpreting that as going up a notch to what is the offical "base" rating from the "stage 1" setting, which is the setting for cars in the US. But now I see that maybe he went down to the "stage 2" setting for US 89 octane gas (RON 93). And that he can still get the increase he wants by setting the CPU in the other direction.

Settings:
MB "base" = 93 US octane
MB "stage 1" = 91 US octane (the setting the car comes on in the US - and probably why we are down a few HP on power from the Euro specs - assuming there aren't weird conversion factor differences)
MB "stage 2" = 89 US octane (RON 93 - where perhaps young's car has been set)
MB "stage 3" = 87 US octane

Hopefully everything is clear as mud now

BT
Old 04-16-2002, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Settings:
MB "base" = 93 US octane
MB "stage 1" = 91 US octane (the setting the car comes on in the US - and probably why we are down a few HP on power from the Euro specs - assuming there aren't weird conversion factor differences)
MB "stage 2" = 89 US octane (RON 93 - where perhaps young's car has been set)
MB "stage 3" = 87 US octane

Hopefully everything is clear as mud now

BT
it is indeed as clear as mud now... that is to say, you've just confused me at another level.

the stage 1 vs 2 vs 3 settings - i've never understood. but it is a separate factor (it isn't the same as the RON settings).

default is: Stage 1 and BASE RON (95)
mine is currently: Stage 2 and RON 93

i was only going to change the RON 93 to BASE RON and leave the Stage 2 as is (as i'm going to get the kleemann upgrade anyway).

what do you think?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by young
the stage 1 vs 2 vs 3 settings - i've never understood. but it is a separate factor (it isn't the same as the RON settings).

default is: Stage 1 and BASE RON (95)
mine is currently: Stage 2 and RON 93

what do you think?
Sorry, my bad, for some reason my computer wouldn't click over to that last image from Renncpe the first time I looked, so I confused the two.

The stages refer to fuel quantity (I was misreading it as fuel "quality" which I then interpreted as regarding the octane values). Does going to Stage 2 richen the fuel supply or something? I'm curious why the computer would have these settings availabe as richening the fuel supply cuts mileage; MB isn't going to take into accont the enthusiast's desire to mod their cars and require a richer setting.

BT
Old 04-16-2002, 03:18 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
<div align=center> </div>
Old 04-16-2002, 03:45 PM

M3
Running too rich is also bad for horsepower. If the car is running fine without detonating, or running lean, I don't see how richening the A/F mixture could make more power. In reality, it should LOSE horsepower. I think it's best to leave the setting stock UNLESS, changing the level advances the ignition timing and keeps the amount of fuel used the same.