C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c230k clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
c230k clutch

Anybody notice whether their clutch requires a different amount of force to push in depending on how long it has been driven? Mine definately is harder to push in the first time after I have been driving a while-like on the interstate. After that, it goes back to "normal". Drive a while some more without shifting, and it will be harder. After that, normal again. This car has always shifted bad from 1st to 2nd, but this is new in the past couple of days. Also, does this car have a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? I'm really getting tired of this car. There's always something wrong with it, and I don't have time to keep taking it to the dealer. Maybe time to trade for an Acura or something reliable.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
spent a day looking for a post on this exact thing

We are the only two guys that have posted this problem. Didn't realize I submitted thread next in the forum. Strangely, my problem in shifting to 2nd actually gets better after a highway drive. Have you had a MB mechanic look at it or give you advice? I can't take the 2 hours out of my work day to get my car to the dealer. Plus, they want to just look at it while I'm there. However the problem doesn't surface with a warm engine. Let me know how your situation has turned out. Warranty???
Old 04-15-2002, 05:38 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Multiple-Choice Test

speedfreak, how old is your car (month/year)? I picked mine up 02/02/02, and so far, it's been a delight to drive, without any problems. I just broke the 1000 mile barrier last weekend.
Based on all the complaints I see on this board, I don't know whether to brace for problems down the line, or to just consider myself one of the lucky ones, or perhaps that the early production models are accompanied by growing pains the manufacturer has overcome and which don't affect late models.

A. Does anyone with late models have problems?
B. Or conversely: Does everyone with problems have an early model?
C. Or is it just a crap shoot?
D. All of the above...
Old 04-15-2002, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I don't think there have been that many problems. I think there have been some (and yes, those of us with problems have been vocal -- guilty as charged). Even Honda's have reoccuring problems.

Many, many people have had this car at it's been fine. I would not worry.

Just enjoy your car! It's quite fun.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 04-15-2002, 06:04 PM

Shifting from 1 -> 2 is a bit tricky in mine too......but becomes ok after sometime.
I have been shifting differently when I drive initially and after sometime.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
I can not down shift into 1st gear without forcing the shifter. It is really tough still. 2nd gear is not bad but i am having trouble throwing the shifter into 1st. My car has only 1000km on it . hopefully it will get better....
Old 04-15-2002, 06:43 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
The factory rep actually drove my car and said you have to be at a complete stop to put it in 1st. He said this is normal. Only car I've had since my Austin Healy Sprite (non-syncro 1st) that did this. There is service bulletin out that calls for reducing the oil level in the trans by 10mm to help this problem. It does help some. My car has been in 3 times so far for this, and they keep saying it is normal. I just can't believe that.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Originally posted by speedfrk
The factory rep actually drove my car and said you have to be at a complete stop to put it in 1st. He said this is normal. Only car I've had since my Austin Healy Sprite (non-syncro 1st) that did this. There is service bulletin out that calls for reducing the oil level in the trans by 10mm to help this problem. It does help some. My car has been in 3 times so far for this, and they keep saying it is normal. I just can't believe that.
So speedfrk, let me get this straight.. I have to come to a complete stop before i can put the car into 1st gear??? How about if i need to slow down to like 5 mph and start to roll pretty quick again? Because right now i have to force the 1st gear which is not fun.. Especially in lot of traffic...
Old 04-15-2002, 07:13 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I have never driven a car that you could put into first gear unless you are near or at a complete stop, but then again I have never owned an Austin Healey or a 1975 Ferrari . Perhaps you are just luckier.

I experience both the 'problem' with first gear as well as the cold 2nd gear issue; however, I have never noticed different force required on the clutch. I find these issues minor annoyances, if an annoyance at all, and I never even give them a second thought. IMHO they are trivialities not to be allowed to interfere with the joy of driving my coupe.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:17 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by Iceman's C230

So speedfrk, let me get this straight.. I have to come to a complete stop before i can put the car into 1st gear??? How about if i need to slow down to like 5 mph and start to roll pretty quick again? Because right now i have to force the 1st gear which is not fun.. Especially in lot of traffic...
Did you ever consider using second gear? Not that you should since I don't have a problem shifting into first at 5 mph in bumper to bumper. Come to think of it however the 2nd gear is low enough that I rarely use first unless I come to a complete stop.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I can not down shift into 1st gear without forcing the shifter. It is really tough still. 2nd gear is not bad but i am having trouble throwing the shifter into 1st. My car has only 1000km on it . hopefully it will get better....
Don't worry about it... "they all do that"... You should have tried putting my old bimmer into 1st, especially when cold... The coupe's is silky smooth compared to that
Old 04-15-2002, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Oddly enough, my C7 manual downshifts into first on the fly with no problems (no need to double clutch, either).

BT
Old 04-15-2002, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Originally posted by trench
Oddly enough, my C7 manual downshifts into first on the fly with no problems (no need to double clutch, either).

BT
Hi trench, how many miles or Km you have on your car?? i am just thinking mine might loosen up a little since i have only 1000km on it.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Guess I am one of the lucky ones. Got my car last Oct. has 4500 miles and the 6 speed is smooth, at first a little rough, but now, up shift or down no problems. In fact have yet to have "any problems". I do drive the hell out of it, using power and gears. May be it's the warm Florida weather or it's not blue, just joking.
All the best
Old 04-15-2002, 08:01 PM

6-speed trans

My C7 will not go into 1st until 10MPH or less. I hoped this would get better, but after 3500 miles, no change. All of the other gears shift fine. Not as smooth as our Stratus, Trans Am or Accord, but it works. I envy my brothers '01 325i which easily goes into 1st at 25MPH. No warranty issues so far. I need to order my 6-disc changer!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:09 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Iceman, that is exactly what he said. You must be at a complete stop to shift into 1st. I have found that after they did the 10mm lowering of fluid, and it has gotten warmer, that I can shift into 1st while the car is creeping forward, but it is a pain in traffic, or at the mall,etc.
The Ferrari would shift into 1st while moving, but the Sprite wouldn't because it didn't have a syncro 1st gear. The Ferrari just didn't shift good (like my coupe) until it was warmed up. My coupe is nice, but it really isn't Ferrari
Old 04-15-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Hi trench, how many miles or Km you have on your car?? i am just thinking mine might loosen up a little since i have only 1000km on it.
2250 miles (~3600 kms), but I never noticed any problem with downshifting to first when it was new. However, I often tend to double-clutch downshifts (old habits die hard) and only really tried downshifting to first with a single-clutch downshift (after reading about other people's troubles) around 2000 miles (when it worked fine).

Iceman, that is exactly what he said. You must be at a complete stop to shift into 1st.
Sorry to be unclear speedfrk, my car will shift into first without coming to a complete stop. When I said "on the fly" I meant while decelerating (I usually put the car in first gear while slowing to a stop, but prior to actually stopping; I do usually go through each gear with the clutch depressed - not sure I've ever tried to go directly from third/fourth to first).

I find these differences odd. My car is relatively new (built in early/mid January); I wonder if they altered the first gear synchros at some point? Another caveat, my car has never seen a temperature cooler than maybe 55 degrees (although I wouldn't think there would be a difference once the gearbox has warmed up).

BT

Last edited by trench; 04-15-2002 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:27 PM

I have a non-C7 coupe.

At first it did seem like I could only shift into 1st gear when at a complete stop, but now, with 2500 miles on it, I can shift into 1st gear when I am going 10mph or under. I don't see why one would use 1st gear if the they are starting above 10mph anyway, since its so short.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:42 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
"I don't see why one would use 1st gear if the they are starting above 10mph anyway, since its so short"

The problem isn't 10mph. It is that for some people it is 0mph. Try Atlanta rush hour traffic where you have to be at a complete stop to get back into 1st. You can lug it down and just drive in 2nd, but it doesn't feel right.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:59 PM

White C230 Coupe, Leather, Evolution, Panorama, Heated seats, Bose, Factory Alarm
Hmmm..
From my experience....
ALL the cars that I've driven either cannot or have major problems going into 1st gear if u are going 5mph+

Below 5mph, cars have varying 'smoothness' going into 1st gear. Also, the slower I am going, the easier it is to go into 1st. Its just a 'normal' reaction for me to shift into 2nd if I can't get it into 1st and I don't think twice about it. Some cars like m 1969 Porsche 911 ... it was pretty brutal shifting into 1st without grinding it if the car is already moving. So, I just use 2nd and only use 1st if I am stopped.

My C230 goes into 1st fine below 5mph abiet its a little notchy or NOT as smooth as my brother's 1986 Toyota Collora (LEVIN) but that fine with me. I don't think I've ever shifted when the car is moving faster than 5mph.

Regarding 2nd gear:
When its really really COLD outside (-13 F or colder) and when I start my car to go to work in the mornings, its really hard to get into 2nd gear. Once the car warms up a little or about 10 mins driving, the car will shift fine again.

DCX Engineer: WOW.... Its unbelievable that you can shift to 1st while you are already moving 25 mph in your Bro's 325. I thought most cars max out at around 25-30mph on 1st gear. I don't think I've ever driven a car that can do that ... or maybe I've just never tried..

btw. my car has 5000miles.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:37 AM

99A4
Downshifting to first

People,
When down shifting to first, please blip the throttle to get the revs close to where the revs will be if it 'was' in first at the speed you are going. That way the synchros and gears are moving at the proper speed to smoothly shift down. This should allow you to downshift to first up to redline in first (25-30mph in the c230).
Please limit the times you do this as it is really bad for the motor as it will shorten the life of your piston rods and put a lot of strain on your driveline components. But if you are road racing your car through twisty roads and need the right rpm through the corners for exit revs, don't be afraid to do so. Just remember not to shift into first after 25-30 mph unless you want to float the valves and possibly throw a few things (rods out the side of the block or the clutch disc out the transmission bell housing). If just wanting to slow to a red light, just push the clutch pedal in and apply the brakes. Brakes are overall cheaper to replace than transmissions and clutch assemblies(clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel).
Hope this helps....
Old 04-19-2002, 08:47 AM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Wink

I totally agree with kingyellowsnake. Why would anyone want to shift to first at 25 mph? When I see the yellow, I start down shifting and applying the brakes lightly and by the time I reach the red stop light I will be in my 2nd gear and apply the brakes fully to come to a complete stop. Only when moving forward from a complete stop, I use my 1st gear - and ofcourse when I park the vehicle I always park it on 1st!

I used to own and 1963 Italian Fiat (the car I learned driving with) did not have the 1st and reverse synchronized. Only 2nd, 3rd and 4th are synchronized. May be I am still following the same techniques..
Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Re: Downshifting to first

I do this heel and toe thing on my MR2 (even when not racing it) routinely just to keep practicing.
Why is it bad for motor/transmission if I rev match the engine before downshifting? I thought quite the opposite.

Originally posted by kingyellowsnake
People,
When down shifting to first, please blip the throttle to get the revs close to where the revs will be if it 'was' in first at the speed you are going. That way the synchros and gears are moving at the proper speed to smoothly shift down. This should allow you to downshift to first up to redline in first (25-30mph in the c230).
Please limit the times you do this as it is really bad for the motor as it will shorten the life of your piston rods and put a lot of strain on your driveline components.
Hope this helps....