C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Damaged injector bolt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Avantgarde 220 CDI 2001
Damaged injector bolt

Hi.
I have a C220 where I had a leaking injector, in other words black death. So after stripping the threads I tried to put a helicoil. That failed, so I tried to rethread and put two helicoils instead. The helicoil tool jammed on both helicoils so I had to force it out. Being an idiot, I thought that the helicoils would adjust themselves when I started screwing the injector bolt back on. The bolt was tight long before it was holding the injector down, so I actually managed to snap the bolt, most likely because it was one of the old bolts.
This is where I ****ed up even more.
I started drilling, and of course I missed the center and now have messed up badly.

Any tips what I should do?
Currently considering selling this cheap so someone else can fix it lol.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well Biff this is an excellent example of exceeding ones limitations------your only hope is find a machine shop that will work with you or donate the car!!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
BORING!!!!!!!!
Btw, yes, I do have a Boring Company hat. But, that's besides the point. And, yes, I will sell it - $3.2634 MILLION dollars - cash - in small bills.

Back on the boring topic.........
Snore

Oops, sorry. Did I mention that I'll sell my Boring company hat for the right price??

Otherwise.......
NEVER EVER EVER EVER use a heli-coil.

Use a Time-sert!
OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, CLEAN the hole, make long/big/wide enough, but not too much.
Fill with JB Weld.

Can JB Weld fix a cracked cylinder head? See the proof!!
Project Farm Project Farm

100% J.B. Weld Cylinder Head? Seriously!!
Project Farm Project Farm

Drill the CORRECT spot in the filled in hole.
Use a Time-sert with a very very light coat JB-Weld.

Buy, my Boring Company hat with a one time limited-time 1% discount!!!

On second thought, buy the hat first, then do the boring repair.

Last edited by RedGray; 05-16-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Btw, for those that would like to know what *I* would use, since I do not do things the cheap/cheapest way , I would use some of my Devcon Aluminum Liquid (F-2) Part# 10710.

Still, I have used JB-Weld in the past.
In fact, on my Stang, I used it, over 15 years ago, to additionally secure some adjustment bolts, that should never ever ever ever move. It also protects the bolts/nuts from the elements (dirt/rain/etc). That part is also rather close to the very hot headers. Even today, that JB-Weld looks like new.

However, I've since learned about the Devcon specialty products, and know a number of people/companies that use it. And, I like those Devcon products even more. :-)

Devcon Aluminum Liquid 10710.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Time-Sert all the way

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Well Biff this is an excellent example of exceeding ones limitations------your only hope is find a machine shop that will work with you or donate the car!!

Yep..

Biff is surely some sort of super hero? Breaking bolts is his super strength?
I learned how to control my super strength early on as a teen, albeit on an old austin marina. And luckily my dad was always there to make it good again, having learned his machinist trade at the BMW aircraft engine factory in Munich under the pressure of allied air raids... When you have a big problem to fix, always use the most delicate tools!

The problem with many older cars like this is steel bolts in aluminum parts, good chance they will seize up, very delicate to ease out. You have to learn the feel the difference between simply hard to turn and over twist to break.

I don't know, you will have to drill this out and perhaps enlarge the hole and tap it with a larger tap to fit a larger bolt. Or then cut the bolt flush, redrill and re-tap to correct size.. Or an insert of some kind. But after your story, I would suggest leaving this to someone else. Breaking a bolt in a hole is one thing, breaking a tap, that is case hardened and nigh impossible to drill out is another. (been there, done that) Worse yet, you may drill right into the cylinder... It's no so much the technical difficulty but a certain feel for "something is not right, stop and re-evaluate" that comes with experience. Seems you had several opportunities but you blew thru them full speed.

There may be other solutions, such as gluing in a stud with previously suggested Devcon aluminum weld or something. I suspect they may just be high quality epoxy products, not your lepage 5 minute stuff.

Last edited by efzauner; 05-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.