C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Going in for first service. Need experiences on some problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Question Going in for first service. Need experiences on some problems

Hi folks.

It's time for me to take my car in for it's first service (10000 mi).

While there, I will point out some issues and (hopefully) have them fixed. I think it would be a great advantage for me to have some printouts of other owners (short) descriptions of the same issues and the solutions to those. I could of course do a search in the forum and hope to find some fairly related information (believe me, I already did), but I really really would appreciate if you guys could help me collect this info into one single thread. Last time I had it in for repairs, they didn't fix any of the below listed problmes. Ok here is my list:

1. Ticking noice from engine compartment. This is most probably the purge valve thing. Solution?

2. Drivers seat moves sideways. I don't know how to describe this, but the rear part of the seat area moves sideways (not much, a couple of milimeters) when I do some heavy cornering. Is this the same problem as the famous "Rocking Seat"-problem? Solution?

3. My dash creaks when I go over a speed bump at some speed. This wasn't the case before I have my factory Audio 10 exchanged for a new one. Solution?

4. The control panel form my clima creaks when I press a button(also something that started after the radio exchange). I have the non-digital one. Solution?

5. Sometimes the headrest on the front passenger seat rattles.

6. Doorhandles (outside) squeals. (These probably just need some heavy greasing?)

7. Fuel guage behaving strange (for the second time ) Solution?

If some of you had any of these problems, please tell me about it, and what was done to fix it.

Thanks very much in advance!

Old 04-16-2002, 03:39 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
good points....

i didn't notice all the other points except the rattle noise around the dashboard.

i wonder if i also could get a fix on this......it's annoying isn't it? i guess i should call them and talk about this for a fix.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
DtS, I have a C240, and I also notice the seat thing. I've got the partial electric seats which means I've got the knob to adjust the seat bottom angle. I've thought that the slight movement (and sometimes "click") is due to a small amount of play where the seat bottom pivots, but I could be wrong. I've been debating on whether to mention it when I go for service in about 3000 miles. I don't know if this is the "rocking seat" problem.

Someone mentioned that they had the headrest "guides" (or "tubes") replaced on the passenger seat to solve the headrest rattling problem.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:23 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
The seats actually have springs on the back to absorb shock for our fat lazy butts. If you tilt the seat all the way forward, you will see the springs. So you will always get a little sideways motion during hard cornering.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:14 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
First of all I'd like to thank you for your replies!

toki999:
Yes! It's very annoying and there must be a fix to this problem, I mean; all dash boards don't creak. I'll keep you updated.

MarkL:
I have the partial electric seats as well. I still wonder if this is the "Rocking Seat thing". In that case there should be a simple fix. I don't know what the fix is, but I know that some other owners had it fixed.

speedfrk:
My *** may be lazy but, hell it isn't fat! . I don't think the seat is supposed to slide sidewards the way mine does. It doesn't do on the passenger side... By the way. My seats can not be folded. I have a sedan.

Thanks again pals!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by DtS

I have the partial electric seats as well. I still wonder if this is the "Rocking Seat thing". In that case there should be a simple fix. I don't know what the fix is, but I know that some other owners had it fixed.
DtS, I think I remember someone saying it was the seat frame that was replaced, and I think one of the "techs" said this is somewhat common. But as you say, we're still not sure this is the same "rocking" problem that others described. Let us know what happens... If yours is the same as mine, it's the rear part of the seat bottom that seems to move just slightly during cornering. Mine will make a very slight "click" when it hits one side or the other, but the whole seat itself (i.e., the whole assembly) doesn't move.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:55 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by MarkL

DtS, I think I remember someone saying it was the seat frame that was replaced, and I think one of the "techs" said this is somewhat common. But as you say, we're still not sure this is the same "rocking" problem that others described. Let us know what happens... If yours is the same as mine, it's the rear part of the seat bottom that seems to move just slightly during cornering. Mine will make a very slight "click" when it hits one side or the other, but the whole seat itself (i.e., the whole assembly) doesn't move.
This is exactly how my seat behaves! I'll post you more info on this as soon as I get to know more (Maybe they can even fix it for me... )

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
DtS, I'm sure you noticed this on mbtech's bulletin list:

- Noises from shaft for front seat tilt adjustment.

Maybe that's the description for what we're talking about w/ the seat.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:12 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Just talked to my service rep and he asked me to list the things I wish to have fixed. Geez, it took me almost 10 minutes, and he almost started to laugh... One bonus living close to Germany is that when they order spare parts, they arrive the very next day. They esitmated two days of work on my baby... Hope they fix everything this time .

MarkL: I described the moving seat thing, and they told me they have heard of the problem before. The things they've done about it was to change the seat frame, but he told me this might NOT solve the problem. He told me he would pay special attention to this problem. Hopefully I will know everything about it when my car returns from the work shop, the 8:th of May.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by DtS

MarkL: I described the moving seat thing, and they told me they have heard of the problem before. The things they've done about it was to change the seat frame, but he told me this might NOT solve the problem. He told me he would pay special attention to this problem. Hopefully I will know everything about it when my car returns from the work shop, the 8:th of May.
That's interesting, but not different from what I was thinking. Like we were saying, the problem seems to be a little play with a "rod" or some pivoting mechanism that holds the rear of the seat bottom into the frame. It probably just needs a very small shim or something on one side. At least, that's how I'm picturing it in my "mind's eye"! It doesn't bother me too much, I just hope it doesn't get worse with time. Sometimes I do feel I try to hold myself in position during a turn to avoid the movement though.

I'll wait to hear what happens...
Old 04-21-2002, 09:55 AM

2001 C320
Thumbs down Rocking Front seat& Ticking Noise

The seat problem is real. I had a new frame installed on my C320 but there is still some play going around certain corners. The purge valve is your ticking noise; they'll offer a new bracket but you might still need the valve replaced.

My C320 was delivered in Dec 2000. I've had it all from squealing brakes to leaking fuel as well as all the other posts you might have read. Never never keep this ride after warranty.

I have a great dealer who has helped me thru my 12 visits there tol get things fixed
Old 04-21-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Here's the list of W203 tech bulletins posted by mbtech208. I noticed many of your complaints are listed:

W203 C-Class tech bulletins

Here's some of the topics of bulletins that MB has issued on the C-Class since it's introduction.

-Headlight sockets melting
-Clicking noises from A/C flap stepper motors
-Hydraulic motor mounts
-203 Coupe A/C inop, check version coding in EIS or A/C pressure sensor
-Fuel pump/sending unit O-ring
-Brake squeal, updated pads
-Accelerator pedal squeaks when pressed
-COMAND does not respond to voice controls
-Check engine light. Codes P2036 and/or P203A and/or engine performance complaints, bad connection at Z7/27 splice.
-Clicking noise from charcoal canister shut-off valve
-Door check strap noise, caused by loose bolts. Updated bolts.
-Engine runs rough after coming to a stop or hesitates accelerating, updated ME control unit. Does not apply to C230 or AMG models.
-Estimated time of arrival calculation is 12 hours longer than actual ETA.
-Front seat head restraint rattles. Remove head rests and bend rods apart so they apply pressure to guide sleeves.
-Pushbutton for releasing rear panels in C320 wagon comes loose
-Instrument cluster info not centered, info services selection gray and not selectable; TEL mode, SMS, or notebook gray and not selectable. Need to version code COMAND.
-Hard starting after fuel filter replacement
-Noises from instrument panel/right A-pillar area. Lube hood hinge at bracket, hood rubs bracket when closed.
-Noises from shaft for front seat tilt adjustment.
-Oil consumption complaints
-Panorama roof panel does not open or move. Break-in by opening/closing 6", 50 times.
-Poor radio reception up to VIN F157265. Check for antenna amplifier loose on rear glass.
-Popping or thumping in speakers, install updated BOSE amp.
-Purge valve clicking noise at idle
-Remote key intermittently inop. Replace remote keys with newer version. Check seven digit number on lower side edge of key. First three digits should be 221.
-Tailgate spoiler loose on 203 wagon.
-TeleAid remote unlocking via satellite inop.
-Trunk lid does not open with remote key, trunk release button, or handle. Replace trunk lock assembly
-Upper crossmember bolt breaking (goes across top of radiator).
-Various CD malfunctions including "No CD Changer" message, skipping, no recognition of magazine or discs. Check spring tension settings for vertical or horizontal.
-Windshield fogging above center vent
Old 04-21-2002, 02:57 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
...thread spooled to printer...

Thanks alot for you input guys!